How can I render in wire shader?

WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
edited December 1969 in The Commons

I want to render a scene with the final render looking like it does when I switch my scene in DS3 to wire shaded. Is that possible?

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

I want to render a scene with the final render looking like it does when I switch my scene in DS3 to wire shaded. Is that possible?

Screen print is the only way I know of ...

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    edited December 1969

Screen print is the only way I know of ...

That wouldn't work because I need it at 300 ppi for print. Thanks, though.

edited December 1969

Right.

? maybe putting the screen print on a plane and rendering it that way ?

My D/S is on another computer so can't check this atm.

• T JaimanT Jaiman Posts: 560
    edited December 1969

What about upping screen resolution to max, and changing DPI in an image editor?

If I understand correctly, DPI is an arbitrary number, when the resolution is high enough.

And if rez is already max'ed, then never mind. 8-/

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

It's actually quite easy!

Just use a UV Map for texture and Alpha channels in the shader.

If you have a "template" or the UV Map, that's a great start...

image_1_2152573.jpg
    600 x 449 - 20K
    edited December 1969

another use for UV Maps as Wireframe Render Assistants.

I just plugged the UV Map into the Bump channel and cranked up the value of the Bump Amplitude in the top bit of the shader tree... and Vie-Ole!

A Texture Shaded figure with the wireframe sort-of imposed on top of it.

image_1_2169899.jpg
    600 x 596 - 64K
    edited December 1969

That's what I want! So uhhh, how do I do this? lol Where do I find the UV Map for v4? And what's an Alpha channel?

edited June 2012

That's what I want! So uhhh, how do I do this? lol Where do I find the UV Map for v4? And what's an Alpha channel?

Sorry, Carrara terminology ...

Alpha is transparency.

The uv maps are the templates. V4's should be on her product page, but I'm getting errors trying to confirm. Look under the "additional info" tab if the page loads for you

Hope it helps...

EDIT - It's in the resources tab now. Dang new store...

Post edited by Sockratease on
    edited December 1969

Sorry, Carrara terminology ...

Alpha is transparency.

The uv maps are the templates. V4's should be on her product page, but I'm getting errors trying to confirm. Look under the "additional info" tab if the page loads for you

Hope it helps...

So you're telling me I have to fight Daz for the old product links to be fixed ... lol. I don't see THAT happening with any kind of speed ... lol.

EDIT - It's in the resources tab now. Dang new store...

edited June 2012

So you're telling me I have to fight Daz for the old product links to be fixed ... lol. I don't see THAT happening with any kind of speed ... lol.

Not at all.

I just downloaded them! Works fine.

Here's a direct link: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/downloadable/download/sample/sample_id/306978/

It may be edited by a mod for some dumb policy reason, but it definitely works.

Post edited by Sockratease on
    edited December 1969

Real quick test results :

Doc2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 25K
    edited December 1969

Not at all.

I just downloaded them! Works fine.

Here's a direct link: http://www.daz3d.com/shop/downloadable/download/sample/sample_id/306978/

It may be edited by a mod for some dumb policy reason, but it definitely works.

Thanks!:cheese:

edited December 1969

Glad it helped!

The nice thing about this trick is that it works on just bits of a model if desired:

origimage_1_28.jpg
    800 x 600 - 72K
    edited December 1969

Well that's certainly interesting, kinda scary too lol ...

I know with my image editor I have it set to save at 300 whatever, but the images always seem to be 96 so I haven't a clue what's going on with it or why but that could be one of the reasons why it didn't last as long as some other programs.

Anyhow, nabbed Chimp, wire box view, added blue light, screengrab ... opened image in old image editor to save it. Brought to 2nd computer, put in new image editor; added a background layer ...

Happy to find that a better answer was found to be useful ...

But as this was also some work, enjoy ;-)

3d modeling has sure come a long way ... from Chimp to Genesis!

BeforeGenesis.png
    483 x 309 - 219K
    edited December 1969

Well that's certainly interesting, kinda scary too lol ...

I know with my image editor I have it set to save at 300 whatever, but the images always seem to be 96 so I haven't a clue what's going on with it or why but that could be one of the reasons why it didn't last as long as some other programs.

Anyhow, nabbed Chimp, wire box view, added blue light, screengrab ... opened image in old image editor to save it. Brought to 2nd computer, put in new image editor; added a background layer ...

Happy to find that a better answer was found to be useful ...

But as this was also some work, enjoy ;-)

3d modeling has sure come a long way ... from Chimp to Genesis!

I'm a v4/m4 fan ... but I'm sure I will have to use genesis some day. Or just go back to traditional work. That chimp does look odd ... lol.

edited December 1969

Yes, it looks 'much better' with fur - hides a multitude of *&*(*

edited December 1969

Oh.

Nice chimp!

I never saw D|S's wireview before (I use Carrara).

If you want the blue, or any other color - just edit the template and change the white to whatever you like.

edited December 1969

It's on sale atm. Think it was free when it was first released but that was before my time.

Actually, I prefer fur on it ... lots of fur.

• edited December 1969

I'm able to apply the template and get the wireframe, but it's not hollow, the skin is shaded gray. where should the template go to make an image like Sockratease with the arm being see through?

edited December 1969

ragaray said:
    I'm able to apply the template and get the wireframe, but it's not hollow, the skin is shaded gray. where should the template go to make an image like Sockratease with the arm being see through?

It goes in the "transparency" channel. In Carrara (and most other software) it's called the Alpha Channel - no idea about Daz Studio (my crappy old system can't even install DS, so checking is not an option).

Be prepared to "invert" the colors if needed!

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Alpha (Opacity in Daz Studo) is in the Surfaces Pane. The usual format for a UVmap is Black lines on White. This won't do for you as stated above you will need to "Invert" the image so black become white and vice versa.

In Daz Studio Black in fully tranparent and white is fully opague. Grey's are in the middle of those two.

Uvmaprendering.jpg
    403 x 764 - 169K
  • With V4, I need to create something similar as the emoticon shown in a previous post by Sockratease.

Say I wanted to have a solid blue texture, or even a skin texture, and I want to have a wireframe imposed over the texture - how would I go about doing this? How could I have this show in render in this way. In ealier posts, I see mention of getting a UV Map to accomplish this. Where would I got to get something like this and once I have it, where in the surface settings of DS 4.9 would I apply this?

I know this topic is 5 years old. Is there another method of accomplshing this now? Thanks for any suggestions. 

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,254

With V4, I need to create something similar as the emoticon shown in a previous post by Sockratease.

Say I wanted to have a solid blue texture, or even a skin texture, and I want to have a wireframe imposed over the texture - how would I go about doing this? How could I have this show in render in this way. In ealier posts, I see mention of getting a UV Map to accomplish this. Where would I got to get something like this and once I have it, where in the surface settings of DS 4.9 would I apply this?

I know this topic is 5 years old. Is there another method of accomplshing this now? Thanks for any suggestions. 

Yes. Now there is this shader for 3DL which simulates wire frame: http://www.daz3d.com/wireframe-and-hologram-shaders

And if you want a UV map to use as described above you can generate one with this: http://www.daz3d.com/uv-tailor

• Charlie Judge - that's very helpful. Thank you very much.

Does the wire shader work in 4.7?

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,254

Does the wire shader work in 4.7?

The shaders are for 3Dl.

I just ran a quick test in DS 4.9 with 3Dl render and the shaders work; so, I imagine they would also work in 4.7. However,there may be a problem with the included ambient lights

Wire shade.jpg
    1155 x 905 - 219K

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455

Thanks for the info on the UV map in the Opacity channel option, this would appear to give good control over what gets the wireframe texture look applied to it.

Another quick way of doing wireframe rendering is to change the Viewport's View/Draw Style to Wireframe or Hidden Line or Lit Wireframe, etc.  Then change Rendering Engine to Basic OpenGL.  Now you will render what ever you are looking at in your viewport, at whatever resolution you want!

HiddenLine+OpenGL_G2M.jpg
    1000 x 563 - 294K
  • j1039564j1039564 Posts: 19

I cannot figure out how to do this in DAZ3D 4.9 PRO.

The menues seems to be slightly different. I cannot find the settings shown in the picture.

Can someone please explain how to do this?  I have been trying for 2 hours without any sucess. :(

I looked for "diffuse color" to add the template image for arms to but could not find.

I only found Diffuse roughness and Difuse overlay weight, I added map to both those and cranked up all parameters below to max. (Filtered on "dif", 6 things came up in menu)

Tested to render that but arms only turned white. Am I on the right track?

If someone could explain how to do this step by step so even an idiot understand I would be forever thankfull! ;D

• j1039564j1039564 Posts: 19

And sorry for another post, where do I find Alpha channels for the shader?