Installer error: cannot find a required path

keith.pickeringkeith.pickering Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Ultra-newbie here. First time downloading/installing DAZ 3D, I get the following error:

"Install Manager cannot find a required path. The installer for "GoZ for DAZ Studio 4.5+ (Win 32-bit)" requires that the installed path for "DAZ Studio 4.5 (32-bit)" be defined. Make sure that a path for this application is present on the "Applications" page of the "Settings" dialog, then try again. "

No idea what the "settings" dialog is or how to reach it. It's apparently not part of the installer.

Two out of eight initial downloads failed with this error (both the 32 bit and 64 bit DAZ Studio). The two photoshop bridges failed to install too, but that's not unexpected as I don't have photoshop.

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Your installing the Plugin's before the DAZ Studio file is installed.

Capture1.png
    705 x 216 - 25K
  • keith.pickeringkeith.pickering Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Does that mean I have to uninstall the plugins, then install studio, then install plugins in that order?

edited December 1969

Ok, just uninstalled all 4 installed packages, and tried the re-install of Studio (only) in both 32 bit and 64 bit. Same error.

edited December 1969

I'm pretty sure you will need to. The Path for DAZ Studio needs defined before the plugins can register I believe.

edited December 1969

That didn't work. See previous post.

edited December 1969

I've never used DIM to install a Application. I hand Installed DAZ Studio and and let it install default. I then used DIM for the other content.

edited December 1969

Sounds great in theory, but since I downloaded the software with DIM, I have no idea where it stashes the download files and no idea how to install it by hand.

So from here it just looks like a big ol' bucket of fail for DAZ3D's free software. I guess you get what you pay for.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

No idea what the "settings" dialog is or how to reach it.
    In the upper right corner of DIM, there is an icon of a gear. Clicking this icon will take you to the Settings dialog.
    edited December 1969

Sounds great in theory, but since I downloaded the software with DIM, I have no idea where it stashes the download files and no idea how to install it by hand.

The download files are placed in the path specified in the Settings dialog > Downloads tab > "Download To:" field. They are zip files, so you can just unzip them, however for content you will need to be able to identify which folders go where. It's not obvious, but once you do it once or twice it's pretty easy, just dragging a folder or two around; let us know if you want more details about that.
    edited December 1969

That was it, thanks very much. Don't we all just love hidden menus?

edited June 2013

All users have a My Account (Upper right hand on all pages) from it you pick My Products you can then Download from that page all your content by hand to any place you wish. DIM is not required to install anything. DIM is to me only for content and Not the best way to install Applications or Plugins. I prefer more control for exe files.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited June 2013

The download files are placed in the path specified in the Settings dialog > Downloads tab > "Download To:" field. They are zip files, so you can just unzip them, however for content you will need to be able to identify which folders go where. It's not obvious, but once you do it once or twice it's pretty easy, just dragging a folder or two around; let us know if you want more details about that.

Thanks for that tip too. Now, DIM *claims* that everything has installed fine, BUT:
    1. No such programs in the start menu, including when searching via "All Programs"
    2. No such programs in the folder I selected in Settings>Applications dialog either.
    3. The install log has a ton of errors.

So right now I'm thinking that DIM is a crock, and I should just install everything by hand.

Post edited by keith.pickering on
    edited June 2013

Thanks for that tip too. Now, DIM *claims* that everything has installed fine, BUT:
    1. No such programs in the start menu, including when searching via "All Programs"
    2. No such programs in the folder I selected in Settings>Applications dialog either.
    3. The install log has a ton of errors.

So right now I'm thinking that DIM is a crock, and I should just install everything by hand.

If you want to install by hand, go ahead, that's fine.
    I don't really know the reason, but only a few plugins appear to be listed in the start menu. In DAZ Studio, if you select Help > About Installed Plugins, you should see a list of all plugins Studio has. I can see GoZ listed there in my PC. I don't use GoZ myself since I don't have anything for it to GoZ to, but I'm assuming it isn't an application you need to run separately from the Start Menu. It is a plugin for DAZ Studio and shouldn't be listed in your Settings>Applications (but DAZ Studio should) I believe.
    What are a few of the errors you see in the log?
    Post edited by sriesch on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

Can you post a screenshot of the Settings > Application tab from DIM?

edited June 2013

DIMshot

Here it is, not that I expect this to help much.

I have downloaded DAZStudio_4.6.0.18_Win64.exe and I've been trying to install that way. The installer unzips itself fine, then runs into unrecoverable errors while trying to configure Visual C++. (Tried it twice now, same error both times.) This may have something to do with the fact that I don't have Visual C++ on my machine. I'm going to try the 32 bit version and I'll let you know what happens.

edited December 1969

I have an additional subfolder listed in my settings that you don't, "DAZStudio4", giving me "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4" (the folder that contains the DAZ Studio application.)

edited December 1969

Those paths look one level too short -- you want the path to the folder which holds dazstudio.exe, which I think would normally be C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4_64 and C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4_32

edited June 2013

Those paths look one level too short -- you want the path to the folder which holds dazstudio.exe, which I think would normally be C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4_64 and C:\Program Files (x86)\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4_32

Makes you wonder why this is configurable at all. Are we supposed to *know* that's where dazstudio.exe lives? And that that's where we need to install the app?

Anyway, I downloaded DAZStudio_4.6.0.18_Win32.exe and ran it, and it installed correctly, including start menu. Ran the program, entered the serial number, seems to work fine.

Then I went back and re-tried the 64 bit version. This time, the 64-bit version installed ... no fatal error when installing the Vis C++ stuff. This makes me think there is a hidden dependency within the 64-bit version of the Vis C++ on something within the 32-bit VisC++. But I may be wrong.

Then I went out and tried to run the 64 bit version of DAZStudio, and wham! Fatal error: "This application has failed to start because MSVCR100.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." So I de-installed and re-installed the 64 bit version. Same error.

So right now the 32 bit version is working and I'll run with that. The 64 bit version is dead, no idea why.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and help.

edited December 1969

Unfortunately, you got caught at an in-between stage: if you had DS installed before DIM, DIM would have picked up the location. In the future, DIM, will be able to install DS, so it will know the location then also. Right now, however, if DS isn't installed when you install DIM, it won't know where it is. Or if you were installing a plugin for a non-DAZ application, like Poser, or the Photoshop or ZBrush bridges, you would need to tell DIM where they are installed.

• donnie_2062000donnie_2062000 Posts: 1
    edited December 1969

had same prob read this . http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19194/ after installing daz use the installer to get pluggings an such