Joining 2 lines HOW?

BittlesBittles Posts: 0
edited June 2012 in Hexagon Discussion

In Hexagon, Using the line tool I can't figure out how to connect two paths to make one?

This seems like it should be easy but for the life of me I can't figure it out!

Post edited by Bittles on

Comments

• dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

average weld

• BittlesBittles Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks for your response.
    I tried this & nothing happens.
    Perhaps I need to move the points closer.
    The point is I don't want to.
    I want to select each point without moving them and have a line connect both joining them into one line.

I have NEVER been able to figure this out. I end up redrawing everything.
    There has to be a way to unite the two. It seems like it should be a simple task.
    It isn't obvious and it isn't documented.
    I've searched joining lines connecting curves etc. in the documentation and in the forum. Nothing comes up.

• VarselVarsel Posts: 574
    edited December 1969

Bittles said:
    In Hexagon, Using the line tool I can't figure out how to connect two paths to make one?

This seems like it should be easy but for the life of me I can't figure it out!

I've found two ways to do it.

Draw a third line with two points.
    Grab a point on the new line and while holding down the Shift-key move the point two your first "welding-point". It should snap to it.
    Repeat for the second point.... Weld together.
    This works best when you are looking from the front or right or...

Or

Draw a new line with two points
    Select the point on the new line you want to move
    Under the Utilities tab select Snap/Align
    Select again the point you want to move, and then select the point you want it to move to.. it should now snap...
    Repeat for the second point..
    Weld together.

Snap/align can be a bit tricky to use, but is a very useful tool when modeling.
    The result will vary depending on what selection tool you have chosen. Select objects, Select faces, Select lines or Select points
    The best way to learn it is to experiment..

Hope this helps..

• edited December 1969

Bittles! I have yet top be able to do what you are trying to do. The best I have been able to do is after drawing one line and if you have to change tool is Dray on the last point drawn.

I have tried the average weld a dozen times and can not get it to weld any point on any lines I have also trued the WELD points toll and zip. that have benign said I extrude to separate object from the 2 line object I could not join but then JOINED or Welded the two object I have extruded from those line... T

Trust me I would love to be able to do what your trying to do but aint found a way yet

edited June 2012

Odd it isn't easy to do. Seems like a no brainer feature.

Getting an error trying to experiment with average weld:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
    Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000004

Post edited by Bittles on
    edited December 1969

This worked:

Grab a point on the new line and while holding down the Shift-key move the point two your first “welding-point”. It should snap to it.
    Repeat for the second point…. Weld together.

• hiker_1hiker_1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

this works too:

1- draw a polyline

2 - use 2D symetry to duplicate it

3 - move the copy on top to the original so that both endpoints meet

4 - select both lines

5 - use average weld and you have a single line.

just be sure they are on EXACTLY the same plane! (one reason it works better if you use symetry)

also, check this tute by EZ -- no sound, so watch close
    http://blip.tv/ezbrush/3-line-weld-2383459

• edited June 2012

Re: the image in your original comment - Note the arrows pointing to the apex point on the 2 lines. We will use these points to do the following:

1) Select the line on the right (ensure the LINE is selected, not individual points or edges)

2) Select the "snap/align" tool under the "utilities" tab. The cursor now becomes a "target circle".

3) Place the target circle over the apex point of the selected line.
    3a) Press and hold your "shift" key. The target circle snaps to the apex point.
    3b) Still holding your shift key, click your left mouse button. The apex point is now selected.

4) Still holding your shift key, move the target circle over the apex point on the left line. The target circle will snap to that point while your shift key is held down.
    4a) Still holding your shift key, click your left mouse button again. The entire selected right line now moves to the left line, connected at the apex.

This may be all you need, but if you also want to join them into a single group, then select both lines and click the "weld" tool under the "vertex modeling" tab.

Post edited by emfederin_9bc0c524c8 on
  • edited December 1969

Bittles said:
    This worked:
    Grab a point on the new line and while holding down the Shift-key move the point two your first “welding-point”. It should snap to it.
    Repeat for the second point…. Weld together.

Oops, my bad. My last post assumed you wanted to connect the 2 curves directly to each other.

If you want to join them by adding a line, then your solution above will work, but you can do it even more simply:

Select the line tool, move the cursor to the left apex point, hold down your "shift" key so that the cursor snaps on that point, and left click it.

Now move the cursor to the right apex point, hold down your shift key so that the cursor snaps to that point, and left click it.

Click "validate" and you're done. Then just weld all 3 curves.
  • TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

My word, what a carry on for such a simple outcome, this programme does annoy me somewhat :)

• AscaniaAscania Posts: 1,838
    edited December 1969

My word, what a carry on for such a simple outcome, this programme does annoy me somewhat :)

Don't be silly.

It is exceedingly simple.

To weld two lines they have to have one point each jointly in the same position. How you get those points there is totally up to you but snapping doesn't take even a second.