"Joan of Arc" tutorial

patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

From references in references from another thread, there's a tutorial called "Modeling Joan of Arc" by Michel Roger

While some of the information is program specific, a lot of it is quite transferable to Hexagon [which is on sale today] and is worth taking a look at. Covers hair, gloves, body, clothing, belt ...

Click here

Comments

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

It seems very thorough and well presented, although as you say, program specific ie. 3D Studio Max.
    From what I can see it will cross over to Hexagon without much hassle, for a new user though it may get a little confusing , It will be interesting to hear if anyone is working through it.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I heard of this tutorial a few years ago on 3D Commune, one of the members was doing it. I am almost certain that it was for Cinema 4D when he bought it, but he managed very well.

• TugpsxTugpsx Posts: 732
    edited December 1969

Ah she yet rises again. This is a very well done tutorial and can be duplicated in Hexagon.
    The body building techniques used in this tutorial can be applied to Hexagon with a little adaptation. We have used this tutorial to pratice building bodies in Max before and even in Martin Hash Animation Studio (oldie).

Let me know how far you got in Hexagon and please do post the updates.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

If the question was intended for me as in how far I got ... I'm making a Sickbay ;-)

• kizzle-2281211kizzle-2281211 Posts: 2
    edited May 2013

I'm trying it, but as a complete noob, I can't get the .gif file to open.
    I opened the face and profile in Illustrator CS2, saved them as .ai files, but when I try to import or open them, I get a "Read error" Warning box to come up, and things stop there... Hexagon wants Illustrator 3.0 .ai files, and CS2 are too modern...
    ~K

Post edited by kizzle-2281211 on
  • TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited May 2013

Hi Kizzle
    In Hexagon,the scene panel on the right of the interface you will be able to put a check mark against the yz and xy planes in the properties tab then click the associated button to browse to where you have the .gifs, no need to convert them to illustrator files.

Post edited by TapiocaTundra on
    edited May 2013

Here is a quick go at it.
    Note the GIF files can be loaded in the slots provided as reference templates.
    Also smoothing is shown in upper right.
    In hexagon the Tesselate option is used in place of the CUT option desired in the tutorial.
    Left-click draw select the points using the bounding box or lasso method and adjust the mes as desired..
    Set smoothing level back to zero and extrude further to continue the model.

JOATut.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 250K
    Post edited by Tugpsx on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Tugpsx said:
    Ah she yet rises again. This is a very well done tutorial and can be duplicated in Hexagon.
    The body building techniques used in this tutorial can be applied to Hexagon with a little adaptation. We have used this tutorial to pratice building bodies in Max before and even in Martin Hash Animation Studio (oldie).

Let me know how far you got in Hexagon and please do post the updates.

I bookmarked this a couple of days ago, but I've uninstalled Hex because it's very flaky on my laptop. I hope to be able to try this out in Blender, so we shall see how far I can get.
  • GhostmanGhostman Posts: 215
    edited December 1969

This is a very good tutorial that can be duplicated in any subd modeler. Tried it a couple of years back with no problems at all.

edited May 2013

So still playing with this in spare time. here is a quick update.
    Note there are a few things in the tutorial that you will need to reference in Hexagon.
    When asked to CUT a polygon you can use Free Tesselate (X) to do the same.
    When asked to hide a line you can use BACKSPACE to dissolve the vertices.
    When asked to create the deformation cage use smoothing level 1 and activate the cage in the lower right hand corner.
    These are a few of the Tips I can remember more to come later.

Image removed for nudity. Please see this thread for info: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3279_98/

progress0b.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 186K
    progress0a.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 207K
    Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • edited December 1969

This was one of the first TUTS I watched when I decided to dive into modeling the human figure. Geeks at play and another one I watched ass well.

I have never been bothered by ANY tuts being Application specific! The polygons are made to same same maybe just called something else in HEX as opposed to MAYA!

I wish DAZ would keep up with hex.

I use QUADS exclusively. and sometimes it hard to not be temped to cut a quad into 2 tris.

BUT my final application I texture and render in is of course Carrara and I have found that if you have a tri somewhere surrounded with quad, and you go to SMOOTH IT the tris sort of mess up your texture maps

• edited June 2013

ALso I made everything in my AVATAR Pilot character on my profile IN HEX! Textured rendered in Carrrara

Post edited by richard.chaos_91798ec102 on