CMS in offline mode?

May DreamMay Dream Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I noticed that smart content and my categories vanish when my computer goes offline for any reason. (And sometimes CMS simply hangs when I'm offline; in that event I can't even start Studio unless I stop the service.)

Is there even a way to use the content service on a computer that's not connected to the net?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Yes, I use it all the time. What is causing you to be offline? Unless something is blocking CMS from communicating with DS, it should be working.

• May DreamMay Dream Posts: 0
    edited June 2013

I tested this by blocking the net with my firewall. That should not block local connections, right? I thought it also happened when my connection simply gave out. I'll test this too.

I am relieved that it's possible, though. Now if only I could figure out how to make this work for me...

Edit: Ah. Okay, you are completely right, of course. Unplugging the modem did NOT affect the CMS.

I'm happy but also a little confused. Why would blocking outward connections affect program-to-program communication?

Post edited by May Dream on
  • Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited June 2013

Is Daz installed on the same machine you're running it from, or is it installed to a different machine that you're networked to? I'm only asking because if you're actually loading Daz that's installed to a machine other than the one you're trying to load it from then that would account for the hangups as your system would be losing connection to the other networked machine.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

May Dream said:
    I tested this by blocking the net with my firewall. That should not block local connections, right? I thought it also happened when my connection simply gave out. I'll test this too.

I am relieved that it's possible, though. Now if only I could figure out how to make this work for me...

Edit: Ah. Okay, you are completely right, of course. Unplugging the modem did NOT affect the CMS.

I'm happy but also a little confused. Why would blocking outward connections affect program-to-program communication?

Make sure you're only blocking external ports. What firewall are you using?