BRYCE RENDER CHALLENGE ........JUNE........ "I had this weird dream" ~~~~~ WIP THREAD

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
edited June 2013 in Bryce Discussion

Third DAZ 3D Bryce rendering Challenge

NOW SPONSORED BY DAZ 3D

Theme for this month is "I had this weird dream"

This thread is the WIP thread, so you can post here to show us how things are coming along before transferring the render to the actual Contest thread for judging.

Rules
~~~~~

All renders must be new renders.

You can enter up to 3 renders.

You must abide by the DAZ 3D forum TOS

Imported content is allowed, but the render must be obviously a Bryce render.

Post Work permitted, but please keep it to a minimum.

Rules may be changed for subsequent Challenges, depending on the theme and the person who has selected it.

The winner of the June Challenge will get the chance to name the theme for the July contest.

This will then continue with subsequent winners choosing the theme for the next contest, which will enable a new contest to start with the minimum of delay between contests.

Whoever nominates the subject for the Challenge can modify the rules to suit that challenge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Challenge ends on 30th June Midnight DAZ 3D time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DAZ 3D Sponsorship, in the form of Store credit

Ist Place $30
2nd Place $20
3rd place $15

This in addition to the $20 DAZ 3D gift certificate will be given to the person whose render is selected as the best, $10 for 2nd Place and $5 for 3rd place that I have already been offering

We will also be offering a special prize for the render judged the best from a Bryce New User. Jaderail has offered $20 and DAZ 3D will add $10.

Judged by members of the DAZ 3D CV team.

By entering this contest, you agree to allow DAZ3D to use any artwork you submit in any promotional materials they may choose.

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

My Lady, I believe if you go back and check I offered $20 in DAZ 3D GC's for this contest. I hope the nice folks here at DAZ 3D will still match my amount. I've learned all I know about Bryce from you and the places you pointed me. Maybe one day I'll even post a render.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Oops corrected that Jeff. :red:

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,120
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Maybe one day I'll even post a render.

Yeah, it's about time LOL (smileys don't work)
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

OK, I'll go first.

There is a lot I could have done and a lot I plan to do with this render, but for less than 24 hours work it's not looking too bad.
    Comments and criticisms always welcome.

Dream1.jpg
    1000 x 650 - 710K
  • Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

I like it! Nifty piece of imagination going on here. It must have been a real pain to get the eagles, ropes and bed frame to all line up and in there proper positions and looking like they have some weight to them. First one out of the gate and you're setting the bar pretty high there pal...I guess I'd better get crackin'...

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Dave: I love it when someone produces images like that one then says it ain't too bad. Nice work.

• KerynaKeryna Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

Wow theSavage64 - your flying bed image made me gasp in amazement and delight - I love all the scene elements - they make for a worthwhile dream indeed!

• JStryderJStryder Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

Just a start -- we'll see where this goes. The head stays, for sure.

Head1.jpg
    1080 x 810 - 168K
    edited December 1969

OH looking forward to seeing where this one goes

edited December 1969

@jonathan: It looks like your a head of many here. :) (smileys still not working) ...I couldn't resist.

• edited December 1969

One night I dreamed of pristine water

Mother_And_Child.jpg
    1120 x 866 - 266K
    edited December 1969

Well, I finally put Minecraft (thanks David!!) aside and got in gear to produce a really weird dream image. I still haven't got a good handle on making these reflections, but each time tried is a learning process. The stairs and doors were downloaded from a place I can't remember at the moment. The door wasn't the best because it and the lock set didn't download quite right. Might be because it was an .3DS file. Anyway, found out the lock set wasn't grouped, or named, so fix that. Door parts also had trouble joining each other, but I got that fixed as well. Just added the material for the stairs, jock set, and doors. Make sure you watch that first step, it's a doozy.

Nowhere_Stairs_6.png
    1080 x 810 - 1M
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    Well, I finally put Minecraft (thanks David!!) aside and got in gear to produce a really weird dream image. I still haven't got a good handle on making these reflections, but each time tried is a learning process. The stairs and doors were downloaded from a place I can't remember at the moment. The door wasn't the best because it and the lock set didn't download quite right. Might be because it was an .3DS file. Anyway, found out the lock set wasn't grouped, or named, so fix that. Door parts also had trouble joining each other, but I got that fixed as well. Just added the material for the stairs, jock set, and doors. Make sure you watch that first step, it's a doozy.

Instant Escher! I have got to learn how to do those reflections.

edited December 1969

OK this is a finished contest entry. It has many imperfections, is not beautiful . . but is perfectly weird. No mas!
    Head material is copper from David's pro materials -- a really interesting material.
    Background is a spherical map of a similar scene on distorted spheres.
    Head itself is a Genesis figure from Daz hacked apart using boolean operations in Hexagon (I'm liking that Daz bridge to Bryce and Hexagon - handy).
    Green guy is another Genesis generic male with old-age morphs applied and wearing 3DU Kimberly's pants (which have a far less sexier look on him) walking up Bryce spiral stairs. Particle emitter producing green balls.
    Head scarf is Optitex's dynamic scarf applied to the disembodied head in Daz and then bridged to Bryce, with a custom texture.
    The text on the scarf reads "MASS-T-CATION."
    What does it mean? Whatever you want it to.

Head_Dream.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 1004K
    edited December 1969

Looks good now.

I need a few more WIPS before I post the clean entry thread for judging, but don't forget to trasfer it over once I do that.

This is a slow start this month, hope it picks up a bit. I thought that bigger prizes would get more entires, but doesn't seem to be that way so far.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    edited December 1969

It's an interesting challenge, I've just been tied up in two other projects and haven't been able to do anything yet myself.

edited December 1969

jonathan said:
    ... What does it mean? Whatever you want it to.

It is fantastically weird and wonderful.

Well done Jonathan!

edited December 1969

@jonathan: That's a really neat looking image. Nicely done.

I wasn't real satisfied with my first image so I attempted to fiddle with it to improve the background, aka, material for the cube. In my usual way of I'm not sure what this will do fashion, I tried a bit of ambience but saw things were going the wrong way. Tried a bit of specular but didn't notice any changes. After removing the specular setting I rendered the image again and saw a big change, yet it wasn't anything I consciously did. Render finished, in a little over a minute, and I looked to see what had changed. Apparently when resetting specular to 0 I inadvertently set metallicity to 100. The results are shown in the image below, which I find I really like.

Nowhere_Stairs_7.png
    1080 x 810 - 889K
    edited December 1969

Yes Guss that does look better. More depth and a good focal point. Good job.

• goofygrmom3goofygrmom3 Posts: 160
    edited December 1969

A very interesting challenge. I don't come into the forums often. Guess I should do that more often. I love the entries so far. Maybe some day I'll do something worth entering a contest with.

edited December 1969

@Dave: Thanks. I may, one day, remember nuggets needed to create a good composition. Vocal point, right, jotted down. Now if only my other boo-boos turned out as nice. :-) (smiley generator still on the blink)

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Ooooh, Jonathan, I like that...very abstract and surreal....bet you've been watching Soylent Green (YouTube trailer link) recently...great film.

Jay

edited December 1969

@Jay: I'd not thought of that movie in some time, and can see how it would apply to Jonathan's image.

• KyricusKyricus Posts: 44
    edited June 2013

OK, throwing my hat in the ring (whatever that means). Be gentle, it's my first render posting here after playing around with Bryce and Daz for a couple of months. It's definitely still a WIP. There are a number of things I'm not satisfied with, but overall I like the composition.

The Tower Bridge is courtesy of Anderson Felix Soares and Sharecg.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated. Especially with how to smooth out the edges of that pizza shaped land mass in the foreground

dreamcontest1.jpg
    1514 x 568 - 649K
    Post edited by Kyricus on
    edited December 1969

Gaussian edges maybe

edited December 1969

@kyricus: My only comment would be the tree(?) in the upper left. It doesn't seem to fit the overall scene and I find it distracting, pulling my eye away from everything else.

• KyricusKyricus Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

@gussnemo Good point. It's really a leftover from the start of the project when I had something different in mind. Seeing as it's the only tree in the scene, it does stick out quite noticeably.

edited December 1969

@kyricus: Of course, in my neck of the woods it could be just another tumbleweed that blew in with the rest of them. :-) (smileys still not working)

edited December 1969

I thought this theme would truly open the subject for people to post all sorts of abstract or strange stuff.
    Come on everyone, the month is half over already.

My second proposed render:

GuitarBubbles.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 510K
    edited December 1969

@Dave: Nice, real nice.