Where to put...

Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hey guys, first off.. if I sound a tad annoyed I apologize, but the truth is I am quite annoyed and disapointed. Though not at all at you guys :)

I went onto Share and found a nice weathereffect, rain in this case. Since I haven't learnt to work photoshop yet, I figured it could help me be able to render a entry for the mini RRRR pull. So I downloaded it, unzipped it.... opened the unzipped folder (named rain)... and wanted to cry :(

Cause in the folder named Rain there is just files, no other folders at all to indicate where to actually put these things. And the ReadMe doesn't even mention anything about either..Below is a screen with how it looks in the Rain folder, as well as the ReadMe.

My question is simply, where do I actually put these different files? Or should I simply not bother at all with it and try to find something else?

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,504
    edited May 2013

Hey guys, first off.. if I sound a tad annoyed I apologize, but the truth is I am quite annoyed and disapointed. Though not at all at you guys :)

I went onto Share and found a nice weathereffect, rain in this case. Since I haven't learnt to work photoshop yet, I figured it could help me be able to render a entry for the mini RRRR pull. So I downloaded it, unzipped it.... opened the unzipped folder (named rain)... and wanted to cry :(

Cause in the folder named Rain there is just files, no other folders at all to indicate where to actually put these things. And the ReadMe doesn't even mention anything about either..Below is a screen with how it looks in the Rain folder, as well as the ReadMe.

My question is simply, where do I actually put these different files? Or should I simply not bother at all with it and try to find something else?

As it's a .pz3, an .obj and a bunch of textures, you can drag the .pz3 to the DS main window and it will load. Next issue will be setting the materials to work well in DS, but I guess they are just alpha masks (I did my rain and snow that way).

Or, you can import the .obj into DS and then apply the textures manually, and save it out as a subscene or a .duf-prop.

pm me if you need more help (and I can reply in Swedish instead if it's easier)

Post edited by Totte on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

The only way to know for sure is to open the pz3 file with either WordPad or better Notepad++. If this is a free item could you post a link?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Why be annoyed, think positively and consider this a learning excercise on what is what and how to use files with no structure. You will probably come across this again and again. Reverse your attitude and have more fun. :)

PZ3 is a Poser format scene file which as Totte said will work in Daz Studio. You can neither drop it in like Totte suggested or go to File - Import and navigate to where the PZ3 is located, select it aand accept the selection.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited December 1969

jestmart said:
    The only way to know for sure is to open the pz3 file with either WordPad or better Notepad++. If this is a free item could you post a link?

Here is the link, http://www.sharecg.com/v/61663/gallery/11/Poser/Poser-rain-effect and the rain do look fabolous and I woud have liekd.. but I eventually gave up truth to be told.

Why be annoyed, think positively and consider this a learning excercise on what is what and how to use files with no structure. You will probably come across this again and again. Reverse your attitude and have more fun. :)

PZ3 is a Poser format scene file which as Totte said will work in Daz Studio. You can neither drop it in like Totte suggested or go to File - Import and navigate to where the PZ3 is located, select it aand accept the selection.

I tried, and I went back and tried with both the drag it into and importing it.. but while I eventually got soemthing in there, it acted more like a very big, very strangely formed background picture than a prop. So as I said above, I kinda gave up. One day I might be able to go through and learn more about that, but it's still so much else I need to learn that I think I will push that to the future... or atleast until next time :)

Thanks for the replies though :)

*hugs*
    Carola

edited May 2013

I just DLed and unzipped the folder, used the Import function and choose the PZ3 It then asked me to locate the texture map so I poiinted it to the extracted zip folder and hey presto Rain

So the process

1 File > Import
    2 Locate the PZ3
    3.Locate the named texture when asked

as you can see the prop is just a series of vertical planes with a rain texture applied with an opacity maps hiding all but the rain drops.

rain1.jpg
    1094 x 720 - 322K
    rain.jpg
    1308 x 1009 - 307K
    Post edited by Szark on
    edited December 1969

Here is the Imported OBJ without any textures applied.

rain2.jpg
    1219 x 917 - 303K
    edited December 1969

Then all there is left to do is go in to the Suraces pane and apply the diffuse map and opacity map.

If you don't know how to manually load a texture map then shout. We will take you through the very simple process.

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127
    edited December 1969

If you would rather pay for a rain product that comes organized you might try Nerd 3d rain tool http://www.daz3d.com/rain-tool or Flinks rain over at Rendo

edited December 1969

Thank you Szark, I tried again and did get it in this time. Probably did something wrong last time I tried *sheepish look* Tried it in one of my (thankfulyl saved) scen subsets... and realised it took away all my lighting and cameras... So I am going to play aroudn with that rain and the lights and cameras that came with it :)

MrPoser - Thanks for the link to Nerd3d's rain, have put it on my wishlisht now.. unfortunately, a girl has to eat so can't buy it at this time :)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

The current appropriate place for .pz3 files is Runtime:Libraries:Scene

edited December 1969

Thank you Szark, I tried again and did get it in this time. Probably did something wrong last time I tried *sheepish look* Tried it in one of my (thankfulyl saved) scen subsets... and realised it took away all my lighting and cameras... So I am going to play aroudn with that rain and the lights and cameras that came with it :)

MrPoser - Thanks for the link to Nerd3d's rain, have put it on my wishlisht now.. unfortunately, a girl has to eat so can't buy it at this time :)

I didn't mean to come of as preaching earlier but I often see folks getting frustrated when there is no need to. Learning all this is time consuming and sometimes hard but things like this are easy to overcome and is a great learning excercise. Just take a step back and as you did here ask away. Yes some aspects are a lot harder to teach in a forum in one thread in a short period of time. Lighting for example, my nemisis. But even then I don't rely on Presets all the time and fight to light my own scenes from scratch. Same principle as this issue. I won't learn if I don't do it myself and not relying on others ata cost to my pocket. LOL

Yeah sorry about that yes loading a PZ3 will delete other cam and lights that are in the scene. I didn't think to mention it. :( But you won't have that trouble now when you load the Scene Subset. :)

Thanks Mike for adding that nugget.

edited December 1969

Szark said:

...I didn't mean to come of as preaching earlier but I often see folks getting frustrated when there is no need to. Learning all this is time consuming and sometimes hard but things like this are easy to overcome and is a great learning excercise. Just take a step back and as you did here ask away. Yes some aspects are a lot harder to teach in a forum in one thread in a short period of time. Lighting for example, my nemisis. But even then I don't rely on Presets all the time and fight to light my own scenes from scratch. Same principle as this issue. I won't learn if I don't do it myself and not relying on others ata cost to my pocket. LOL

Yeah sorry about that yes loading a PZ3 will delete other cam and lights that are in the scene. I didn't think to mention it. :( But you won't have that trouble now when you load the Scene Subset. :)

Thanks Mike for adding that nugget.

You didn't came off as preaching hun, so no worries :) atleast I didn't take it like that. And I much prefer to loud my own lights too, even if I use preset ones too.. most of the time aftehr aving adjusting them *grins*

I do need to learn to work with linear and pointlights though.. my current tries with them has ended in disaster and made me go back to my spotlights *sheepish smile* I paln to re-read that thread you made once I find it again :)

And thanks Mike, I will put it in there :)

*hugs all*
    C

edited December 1969

Good. Great little prop too, simple but effective.

I can't promise anything these days due to personal issues but I have typed up an intro to Point lights last night. I need to finish it of and do some small renders and get it posted. If or hopefully when it gets posted I will send you a PM. :)

edited December 1969

Szark said:

I can't promise anything these days due to personal issues but I have typed up an intro to Point lights last night. I need to finish it of and do some small renders and get it posted. If or hopefully when it gets posted I will send you a PM. :)

Oohh.. Thank you *pounces to give more hugs* I really appreciate that :) And don't feel pressed for time or anything, just take as long as you need. Your personal life/issues are more important :)

/C

edited December 1969

Great work there Pete (Szark), some well needed Wizardry ;-)

edited December 1969

Szark said:

Oohh.. Thank you *pounces to give more hugs* I really appreciate that :) And don't feel pressed for time or anything, just take as long as you need. Your personal life/issues are more important :)

/CLOL and thanks....I think. LOL "pounes" scared the hell out of me. ;)

I will see what I can do and I try my best to make this happen. I does take a while to render anything on this infernal PC I am using but if I keep things simple it should be ok.

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Thanks Totte LOL yep world domination is before us. ;)
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Totte said:
    Thanks Totte LOL yep world domination is before us. ;)What? I missed a meeting?
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Szark said:
    Totte said:
    Thanks Totte LOL yep world domination is before us. ;)
    What? I missed a meeting?
    Didn't your read circulation 45, PM 387-1 ?
    edited December 1969

Totte said:
    If the OP had not of received the needed help already I would say enough side tracking the thread. But because they did....

You mean I'm supposed to read this filing cabinet of stuff you sent to me? I been using the papers to light all my torches and fires with.
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Totte said:
    If the OP had not of received the needed help already I would say enough side tracking the thread. But because they did....

You mean I'm supposed to read this filing cabinet of stuff you sent to me? I been using the papers to light all my torches and fires with.

I think she got all the help she needed, so we can carry on derailing....

edited December 1969

Yes.. I got the help I needed... go on, go on... this is interesting

*sits down in favourite chair, munching popcorn while watching the derailing with curiosity*

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    Totte said:

You mean I'm supposed to read this filing cabinet of stuff you sent to me? I been using the papers to light all my torches and fires with.I used them to wallpaper the loo. Good reading material. Works like magic........
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Jaderail said:
    Totte said:

I used them to wallpaper the loo. Good reading material. Works like magic........

Remember to turn the scribbly side out.

edited December 1969

Totte said:
    Szark said:
    Jaderail said:
    Totte said:

I used them to wallpaper the loo. Good reading material. Works like magic........ Remember to turn the scribbly side out.Umm... Totte, I'm a Drow. What part of I only read elvish, drow, some duergar and under common is so hard for you to understand? Read Magic works fine on the Spells and all but these rules and regulations in common is just NOT gonna cut it.
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Geeze, I'm so glad I'm not a member of the BWC. You guys are crazy!

edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    #1 requirement to be one... as far as I can tell.
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:

Crazy as a Fox.
    Well, a bunch of foxes.
    Bald foxes.
    I'll come in again.

edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    yoooou betcha. Me I am certified crazy and proud of it.
    edited December 1969

It's fun when they are crazy *relaxes in the chair and continue to watch the show of hte Bald Wizards and Drow*