My Very First Render

edited December 1969 in Art Studio

This is my first render still working on getting started to making some more advanced renders looking for some tips on how to get started

Comments

• Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

I would recommend going through the starter videos at DAZ's YouTube page and the tutorials included in the program's startup. They should give some information on how to incoporate things like lighting, depth of field, etc to give a much more detailed/realistic effect.

• MavroshMavrosh Posts: 111
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    I would recommend going through the starter videos at DAZ's YouTube page and the tutorials included in the program's startup. They should give some information on how to incoporate things like lighting, depth of field, etc to give a much more detailed/realistic effect.

I would say the same. :) Also the forums here have good threads where you can find out more about technical stuff.

In general I would say: Dare to ask people direct questions and also dare to try out. :)

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 1969

I'm going to be specific-
    First, I love the people placed together- it makes me wonder about their relationship.
    TIP: zoom in.

I want to see expressions- what is the focus of the scene, what are you trying to convey? These characters are feeling....what?
    Even if the scene is meant to be overpowering, aka, you want the figures to feel small, I think I would still zoom in closer than what it currently is.

TIP: Lights:
    Lighting, the difference between light and dark, is what draws the eye. So we need to get a bit more contrast. I'm working on a light tutorial at the moment (just showing how it's done, then you apply your own personal preferences) and I will actually show a light placement that you may want to try. It will be done by this afternoon (going on 5:30am and I have out of town guests that are leaving in an hour.) It takes six or seven hours at a minimum to do the videos.) Will let you know when it's done, not assuming you'd want to use it :)

I think you have made a nice start! It's overwhelming when you first start, and even after months and months!
    Cathie

edited May 2013

Novica, glad you jumped in :)

@Nova, Novica has been putting together some great getting started tutorials. The link is the red & purple text in her signature. Take a look at them (and she's right of course about zoomin in for this image also. I missed that because the lighting issue stood out strongly for me.) She's been really helpful for people getting started so you're in good hands.

[Edit] I forgot Nova, just getting a character dressed, posed and rendered (much less two) is an accomplishment for your first time. We all realize that even if we forget it, so congratulations and feel good about that :)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
    edited May 2013

Gedd, thank you so much! It's nice to be appreciated.
    I haven't gotten any sleep yet (it's 2pm!) as the video just isn't cooperating. I decided to do a specific figure for the video- and will post it here to show what a spotlight from behind/above, and three other spotlights can accomplish. Not saying it's done but it's okay to get newbies started. (myself included.) The model is Sophia. Spotlights were blues and coral. Total time to light the scene: About 20 minutes. (This would be where I would start tweaking from)

I had to laugh- sexy isn't my thing- but when I saw Sophia come up rendered, I was like, "Oh! Helllllo, Sophia!" Not bad for a quick scene.

Feel free (you pros who are helping out) to pick apart the lighting and give your personal preferences. For the OP: The only comment I'll make is look at the contrast, light and dark. Where is your eye drawn to and why? What's your overall impression? Then of course, what would you change? What do you want darker? What colors would you like to see more blue? Yellow? Peach? Purple?

BTW, this is a preset pose. Many are on sale right now 58% off- under $5 and $7- and IMO they are wonderful to use to experiment with lighting.

EDIT: Do click to enlarge and look at the nose. I WILL give a tip on that- see the dainty light blue stripe down the center of it? That wasn't by accident. If you can get a sliver of light down the top of a finger/hand, down the nose, across the arch of a foot- it raises the object up/ sets it apart. Do click to see that :)

sophia.jpg
    1356 x 1084 - 211K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:

Yes!!! Fits right in with my byline. Keep trying. Thanks for sharing- loving what you do is the heart and soul of any art.

• edited May 2013

this is the re-render of my first I still need to buy addons for my edition of Daz3D 4 so I can make more detailed renders

like_father_like_son_2.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 421K
    Post edited by Devil Diamond Art on
  • edited December 1969

Another render I did not sure if I want to add another light to it with a soft effect

Forest_Sexy.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 620K
    edited May 2013

Much better :)
    Do you have shadows on? (Parameters tab) Select raytracing (renders more quickly, if I recall?) and experiment with softness. (I start at 10 and work up, but would love to hear what the pros do. I'm a newbie.) I think shadows under the people or cast in front/behind would anchor them more in the scene.

I also have to say I like the angle of the camera in the first one-not a direct, level straight on shot. It makes the boy the emphasis (to me.) Nicely done!

Are the man's eyes glowing on purpose? If not, select them, go into Surface tab, and fiddle with the surface settings. You can change the color of those whites (if it's a bright white, go with a grayish blue and fiddle with the percents.) Someone can clarify here whether it should be the diffuse or ambient. I do both, or one or the other.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Ambient shouldn't really be on at all for anything that isn't intended to glow in the dark. That's it's real purpose. To answer your question though, either/both can cause overly saturated (white in this case) colors.

edited December 1969

Good to know- thanks! All mine have been night environment, so I was just lucky that I was on the right track, lol.

edited December 1969

I should note that some artists do use ambient for other purposes, but technically that is a hack, which simply means 'outside the bounds of it's original purpose.' There's nothing wrong with that, just that it has implications and one ideally should be aware of those if one is going to use it that way.

• edited December 1969

This one is a little unfinished, but I want to know what people think so far and all the tips and feedback has been great thanks to all of you. Because when I get better at using Daz3D I will be making a web-show called "The Colony of Tribes Republic" with full voice acting

Child_pose.jpg
    618 x 800 - 157K
  • edited December 1969

I was playing around with lighting and came up with this

Sexy_Male.jpg
    618 x 347 - 58K
    Sexy_Man.jpg
    618 x 800 - 337K
  • edited June 2013

This going to be my showcase forum for more of my renders

Image removed by mod for sexually suggestive content. Please review the Forum TOS http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6_98/

Emo_Sexy.jpg
    618 x 800 - 119K
    Bad_Girl.jpg
    618 x 800 - 159K
    Brother_Sister.jpg
    618 x 800 - 252K
    Post edited by frank0314 on
  • edited December 1969

I will be posting new renders on my new blog JRARS 3D Art I will also be posting the reasons why I render and I will be posting any renders that are not allowed on this forum and renders that are for a cause