Saving custom surface zones.

Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I re-read Canary3D's polygon group editor tutorial since I haven't done it in a while ( http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/15625/15625_pimpmypropcanary3d.pdf ) and at the end it says to save it out as a daz scene file. Was there a way to save it as lets say a mat zone injection (for lack of a better term)? Sort of like morph injections, but for mat zones?

Comments

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846
    edited December 1969

Simple answer is no.

If it's content that's in the DUF and DSF file types then can you save your changes to the mesh as a scene subset, the changes will be saved into the DUF file rather than the DSF asset file, that way you can still load the original version as well as your altered version.

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Adding to Bejaymac's answer: You can also save it as a prop/asset. Same thing applies. You will basically have a new item that you will use when needed, but still have the original.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Adding to Bejaymac's answer: You can also save it as a prop/asset. Same thing applies. You will basically have a new item that you will use when needed, but still have the original.

You need to be careful when doing that, if it already has asset files then not watching what your doing will result in the original assets being replaced, as the asset save window will have the original ID and product data in them.

That's why I said to use the scene subset, if you screw it up all you do is delete that DUF file and try again, screw it up with Figure/Prop assets and you have to uninstall and then reinstall the product to get the original assets back.

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Slosh said:

You need to be careful when doing that, if it already has asset files then not watching what your doing will result in the original assets being replaced, as the asset save window will have the original ID and product data in them.

That's why I said to use the scene subset, if you screw it up all you do is delete that DUF file and try again, screw it up with Figure/Prop assets and you have to uninstall and then reinstall the product to get the original assets back.

That hasn't been my experience... I usually get my username in the asset save window. However, maybe it is better not to mess around with that if one is inexperienced. I think you were right to suggest the scene subset.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Simple answer is no.

If it's content that's in the DUF and DSF file types then can you save your changes to the mesh as a scene subset, the changes will be saved into the DUF file rather than the DSF asset file, that way you can still load the original version as well as your altered version.

This retains the original morphs, correct? Seeing as it's just an altered 'copy' linked to the original data files?