What exactly is Puppeter?

BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367
edited December 1969 in The Commons

What is it and what does it do?

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,138
    edited June 2012

There are tutorials around here somewhere but in 25 words or less (or more) here's the gist of it.

Puppeteer snapshots some static poses that you set up, then you can randomly preview your poses and smoothly merge from one pose to the next. When you have figured out a good sequence of poses then you can record your meandering pose changes and render an animation from it.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,495
    edited December 1969

It's really designed for animation, but I wrote a tutorial using it for saving poses too. You can find it here:

http://snowsultan.deviantart.com/art/Using-Puppeteer-277864776

There seems to be a big problem with scenes saved with Puppeteer dots in Studio 4.5 though, so for now, I would *really* advise against saving any scene where you've used Puppeteer. I can't tell you how many characters I've had to remake because of it. It's fun to experiment with it though, just don't save anything when you're experimenting.

SnowS

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,219
    edited December 1969

puppeteer is a very intuitive way to generate animated sequences using a series of static poses, key frames if you will, and then bridging the frames in between with a smooth transition , but in a non linear 2d space using your mouse. A suprisingly powerful tool. Tutorials and trial and error will have you mastering it in a short time. You can then output the sequence as an avi, or a pose preset, or a bvh

• Tempest!Tempest! Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It's really designed for animation, but I wrote a tutorial using it for saving poses too. You can find it here:

http://snowsultan.deviantart.com/art/Using-Puppeteer-277864776

It's REALLY handy for saving poses, even if you do static scenes. I use it all the time.

Pose your figure (or a light, or a camera or...) and add a Puppeteer dot; try another pose, add another dot; try a third, slightly different one from the second and add a dot; decide that you preferred the first one; click the first dot and the figure will revert to the original pose.

An awesome, safe way for trying out different things to see which works without having to save different scene files, pose presets or anything. Of course it won't affect the surfaces, though. And undo doesn't work when you change the pose using puppeteer, but you can use it to your advantage too.

• carolinebegbiecarolinebegbie Posts: 162
    edited December 1969
  • carolinebegbiecarolinebegbie Posts: 162
    edited December 1969