How to create a polygon from a curve

CrystalGrinchCrystalGrinch Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I know this is very basic and I have looked through the manual as well as searched the forums but cannot figure out how to fill a closed curve making into into a face/polygon/facet. For example, if you go to Lines and make a circle or some other closed figure, how do you turn it into a face?

Thanks,
David

Comments

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 516
    edited December 1969

Hi David,

Try:- Surface modeling-> Coons surface

Select that tool, then select the closed contour.

• CrystalGrinchCrystalGrinch Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks ill give that a try.

For some reason i thought there was a make face or create facet command or something like that in Hex.

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 516
    edited December 1969

Hi David,

There is a "Create Facet" (3D Primitives-> Create Facet), but if you where to use that, for example on a closed circle, you would need to click on each point of the circle to create/fill the face.

If you want to try a different method. You can create a single large facet, that is big enough to go over the boundaries of the closed shape, then use "Boolean" to cut out the shape.

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246
    edited December 1969

I know this is very basic and I have looked through the manual as well as searched the forums but cannot figure out how to fill a closed curve making into into a face/polygon/facet. For example, if you go to Lines and make a circle or some other closed figure, how do you turn it into a face?

Thanks,
    David

Another technique is to select all the lines segments in the curve (you can go into line select mode and hit "a" to get the all or just drag a rectangle over the whole curve while in line select mode). Then with the universal manipulator hold CTL and click and drag the small yellow square, it will create polygons in the direction you drag (inside or outside the curve). Generally for a circle I drag to create polys inside the circle until they are very close together, then use weld points to merge them in the center, closing the whole thing.

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited May 2013

Simple and good examples of Hexagon's capability with the seamless integration of polygon, spline and surface modelling. No wonder it can get confusing sometimes for new users :)

Post edited by TapiocaTundra on