modo 601 vs Carrara?

jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Luxology just released modo 601. Cost $1195.

How does our beloved Carrara Pro stack up against one of the big boys for less than half the price? (Even less if you don't get Pro.)

- Jasen.

P.S. New forums. *sigh* Is there a way to get to the old content? I realize a clean break is occasionally needed to clean out the clutter, but you also lose a lot of good history.

Comments

• 3dcal3dcal Posts: 178
    edited May 2012

Is there a way to get to the old content?

Yes, thankfully it is still all here: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/

I think I'll start downloading all the old threads that I've bookmarked
    just as a back up.

BTW, Modo looks like a great program, but can't justify getting it.
    Carrara is still the best all around 3D app for the money.

Post edited by 3dcal on
  • ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

jasenj1 said:
    Luxology just released modo 601. Cost $1195.

How does our beloved Carrara Pro stack up against one of the big boys for less than half the price? (Even less if you don't get Pro.)

- Jasen.

P.S. New forums. *sigh* Is there a way to get to the old content? I realize a clean break is occasionally needed to clean out the clutter, but you also lose a lot of good history.

I use both applications and I will be upgrading to the latest modo 601 release. They are targeting a different market. modo 601 is more gear towards professionals in the video and film industry and it has features that are fully developed to get the job done. Carrara Pro can do lots of things but not all features are fully develop as they should have such the modeling, 3D painting and rigging tools just to name a few.

Ringo

• ShawnDriscollShawnDriscoll Posts: 375
    edited December 1969

I've been upgrading my modo with each release. 401 and 501 I didn't use all that much. Even though 601 has more new features than 401 and 501 combined, I'm going to upgrade when 701 comes out since the price will be the same. I can't afford to be upgrading software I don't use all that much. In the last year, I think I've only used modo 501 for just rendering.

• 3dcal3dcal Posts: 178
    edited December 1969

JasenJ1,

it also depends on what you want to accomplish as well as
    what your budget is.

You may also want to consider Blender 2.63 (free), or ZBrush4 ($579 at Novedge, free upgrades).

• no_mstrno_mstr Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

I have 601 as well as Carrara 8. Love them both, use them for different tasks. I will probably continue to do my modeling in Modo, as I don't think the Carrara modeler is quite up to snuff yet.

Both renderers are great, but the iterative rendering in Modo is very helpful.

Both great applications, can't go wrong with either one.

• daz3d_9ff14f0c17daz3d_9ff14f0c17 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

modo 601 is more gear towards professionals in the video and film industry and it has features that are fully developed to get the job done. Carrara Pro can do lots of things but not all features are fully develop as they should have such the modeling, 3D painting and rigging tools just to name a few.
    Ringo

I am in doubt about this. I have both apps, but have hardly used modo 601 so far. Carrara has a real NLE for the animations, as far as I can see and understand, modo has not. In Carrara you can within minutes dress, pose and make a realistic character walk in a realistic way, using Aniblocks, Motoblocks, etc. I cannot see this in modo.

> fully developed to get the job done
    I am not sure what job you mean here.
    I would love to explore more og modo's features and capabilities, especially to what extent it can be used together with Carrara. I am also curious why so many seem to use modo fro rendering, even animated scenes made in Lightwave are rendered in modo.. but are the animated files compatible at all?

-Ingvar

• ringo monfortringo monfort Posts: 945
    edited December 1969

ingvarai said:

modo 601 is more gear towards professionals in the video and film industry and it has features that are fully developed to get the job done. Carrara Pro can do lots of things but not all features are fully develop as they should have such the modeling, 3D painting and rigging tools just to name a few.
    Ringo

I am in doubt about this. I have both apps, but have hardly used modo 601 so far. Carrara has a real NLE for the animations, as far as I can see and understand, modo has not. In Carrara you can within minutes dress, pose and make a realistic character walk in a realistic way, using Aniblocks, Motoblocks, etc. I cannot see this in modo.

> fully developed to get the job done
    I am not sure what job you mean here.
    I would love to explore more og modo's features and capabilities, especially to what extent it can be used together with Carrara. I am also curious why so many seem to use modo fro rendering, even animated scenes made in Lightwave are rendered in modo.. but are the animated files compatible at all?

-Ingvar

Keep in mind that Carrara can do this to purchase content figures but not so easy to setup and use if you were to model, rig and animate all done in native carrara formats. I have been trying to push DAZ 3D into really adding those features into Carrara so that everything would be done in Carrara and not depend on purchase content or having to rig in DAZ Studio.

Ringo

• Trent_WalkerTrent_Walker Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I have Modo 601 and while it is a nice release the importation of rigged character leaves a lot to be desired. When you import a poser mode model in a dae format mind you you can alose use fbc converter to import a rigged character with the bones in the proper location mind you it has to be in zero figure and at the first frame. Here is where the kicker is morphs will not come in either format so no expressions all you get is joint movement. This to me is a big deal and makes the whole thing a waste of time.