Daz Hard Drive Setup?

DekeDeke Posts: 1,609
edited December 1969 in New Users

Is there a best practices in terms of hard drive set up? With video editing I customarily have the program on the internal drive of my Mac, the project file on one external drive, and the source footage on a another external drive. Is there any performance benefits in putting Daz content on an external drive?

Comments

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,497
    edited December 1969

dkutzera said:
    Is there a best practices in terms of hard drive set up? With video editing I customarily have the program on the internal drive of my Mac, the project file on one external drive, and the source footage on a another external drive. Is there any performance benefits in putting Daz content on an external drive?

Not so much a performance boost (but if your external drives are much faster, then it is faster) as you are not moving huge amounts of data, but as content has a tendency to grow over time (about the same rate as your wallet gets nice and slim) I recommend to have the content on a separate drive to avoid filling the boot drive with too much stuff.

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

My experience with the one external drive I bought was that it was limited by the USB speed and designed more for occasional access & backup than as actual additional drive space. If your computer has an external SATA connection; you shouldn't have too much of a problem. You might want to watch out for the "green" drives as they have built in circuitry to power down the drive after a set period of non-use (usually just before you need to access it).

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,497
    edited December 1969

I agree with BWSman on the USB note, but as the OP has been working with video editing I guess the OP uses at least FireWire 800 drives or Thunderbolt drives, which are as fast as internal ones.