Animated Entry In the 2013 Houston 48 Hour Film Contest - Full Version

Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191
edited December 1969 in Art Studio

This is the full video for "Summer's Last Day" (a 48 second trailer was uploaded previously). The theater showing was Wed., 15 May, so now I can upload the video. The genre is Crime/Gangster, the prop is a dollar bill, the character is S. Frances (teacher), and the line is "I can do that." The audience seemed to enjoy it, and some of the other film makers (all live action folks) gave us some nice compliments. As always, there are some rough spots, but making the 2 day deadline doesn't leave much time for polishing. It was a fun project, and only possible with some great DAZ elements (plus a few from other vendors ;-) ) The judging will wind up in a month or so, but some of the live action videos were killer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTGqbeqTMZ4

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

that was fun to watch - like how you used all most no animation to tell the story

• WAVEDELSHWAVEDELSH Posts: 100
    edited December 1969

Very enjoyable and with great imagine as well....48 hours wow some of my 10second animations take that to just to render

Well done

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,191
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    that was fun to watch - like how you used all most no animation to tell the story

{I think they're on to us, Watson}

:coolcheese:

Right, with only two days, those long camera pans/dollies get replaced by single large frames and motion in the video editor. And key frame animation gets replaced with mocap, and not much of that either.

edited December 1969

wavedelsh said:

Very enjoyable and with great imagine as well....48 hours wow some of my 10second animations take that to just to render

Well done

Yup, a few years back, I started a 5 hour camera pan render and took a nap. My wife woke me up and said "Its not doing anything". Locked up about an hour into the render. So plan B was a large frame render and motion in the video editor.
    :P

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

LOVE, Always a good watch from you and the 48hour team.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,321
    edited December 1969

Nice video. It's always fun to see my stuff getting put to good use. My wife got a kick out of it too. Kudos to you, that's a pretty intense schedule, that you rendered and edited it in 48 hours probably meant very little sleep. The actual story works well and we follow the protagonist's adventure easily. The transitions into and out of the daydream could have used some kind of dissolves, like when the mom shows up for example but all in all, nicely done.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited December 1969

Yup I agree with all the above :) fun video to watch :)

edited December 1969

Nice video. It's always fun to see my stuff getting put to good use. My wife got a kick out of it too. Kudos to you, that's a pretty intense schedule, that you rendered and edited it in 48 hours probably meant very little sleep. The actual story works well and we follow the protagonist's adventure easily. The transitions into and out of the daydream could have used some kind of dissolves, like when the mom shows up for example but all in all, nicely done.

Many thanks (and Jaderall and Ivy, too). "The Neighbor's Yard" is one of those 3D scenes that inspires stories, in my case based on the adventures I had around the neighborhood as a kid. BTW, I heard the comment "cool boat" about the ChrisCraft, and weirdly enough, I saw one just like it in a seafood restaurant during the screenings of the contest videos. For those unfamiliar, it looks like this:

http://tinyurl.com/bdeumjz

I now also have "The Neighbor's Pools", which in turn brings to mind an adventure I had with a serious thunderstorm in Okla. City. (in "Tornado Alley" :bug:)

I do recall the following words:

"Please note: These are exterior-only house props and the central area of the fenced in yards is the focus of the environment. Future sets may expand on this environment towards the road."

I vote yes. As I've mentioned, I am having no luck finding 3d bungalows, the closest I've come is "The Neighbor's Yard", but it would be nice to have the front views (the bungalow billboards are nice, I should mention). To me, they look like this:

http://0.tqn.com/d/architecture/1/0/T/z/yellow-bungalow.jpg

I.e. small, 4-5 rooms, covered porch with pillars on pilings, etc. There must be millions of these throughout the country, although they are being torn down and replaced with "MacMansions" in desirable locations. >:(

The dissolves for the daydream are an example of what the schedule does to the mind. I have used exactly that in previous videos, but in this case, I got the basic sequence of scenes done Saturday night to check the time (4-7 minutes required), then went to bed planning to add the transitions, sound, and music the next morning. I added the sound and music and just forgot about the transitions. I did remember them, Sunday night on the way home from the dropoff. :-S

edited May 2013

Here is a "behind the scenes" shot from our 48 Hour Film Contest video "Summer's Last Day". The Bad Guy is getting ready for his climactic scene. The other character is for a plot twist that we didn't use.
    ;-)

Renderostiy_Car_patio_-_F4_Shot_For_Summers_Last_Day.jpg
    720 x 480 - 187K
    Post edited by Steve K on