Star Trek Builders Unite 4 : In a Runtime Darkly!

Comments

• TheCastellanTheCastellan Posts: 700
    edited December 1969

That's the sorta design I been looking for ^_^ Will it be made available when it's done?

Ptrope said:
    Hey, ho - new thread! :)

I figured I'd drop in and post a heads-up - I've been working on a new ship, something of a follow-up to the Crossbow-class. The modeling is, I hope ( :) ), complete; now I need to finish up the UV-mapping and then create all the texture maps. The story behind this is that the ship is actually a mirror-universe design, from the Terran Empire, which slipped through the barrier and then was captured by a Starfleet vessel; that explains some of the ... eccentricities ... of the design - it has nothing to do with the OS Romulan ship design, but its designers were of a similar mindset when it came to architecture and abilities. Now, it's a diplomatic support vessel for missions that carry the potential for ... confrontations (along with the 2 copies built by Starfleet).

(larger image on deviantArt)

• jaguarry3jaguarry3 Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

Just playing around in hexagon got the idea for this from a sketch by NinjaWereWulf over at DA. Its a single seat romulan fighter called a Talon

On_Talons_Wings.jpg
    1036 x 729 - 400K
  • shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,186
    edited December 1969

Ptrope said:
    Hey, ho - new thread! :)

I figured I'd drop in and post a heads-up - I've been working on a new ship, something of a follow-up to the Crossbow-class. The modeling is, I hope ( :) ), complete; now I need to finish up the UV-mapping and then create all the texture maps. The story behind this is that the ship is actually a mirror-universe design, from the Terran Empire, which slipped through the barrier and then was captured by a Starfleet vessel; that explains some of the ... eccentricities ... of the design - it has nothing to do with the OS Romulan ship design, but its designers were of a similar mindset when it came to architecture and abilities. Now, it's a diplomatic support vessel for missions that carry the potential for ... confrontations (along with the 2 copies built by Starfleet).

(larger image on deviantArt)

Posted on your DA page as well on this, I love the concept and design you created. The back story on it is great as well. I am really looking forward to seeing how you continue with this.

• PtropePtrope Posts: 679
    edited May 2013

That's the sorta design I been looking for ^_^ Will it be made available when it's done?

Yep, I'm working on the rest of the UV-mapping and the texture and specular maps; it'll probably be at least a week, but when it's complete, I'll be posting it on ShareCG along with all my other works. ;).

I love the concept and design you created. The back story on it is great as well. I am really looking forward to seeing how you continue with this.

Glad you like it :). It's been a lot of fun as it has evolved, and I'm looking forward to sharing it.

Post edited by Ptrope on
  • mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited May 2013

I spent most of last evening uploading most of my props and set pieces to my DA gallery for anyone who's intrested:

http://mdbruffy.deviantart.com/gallery/43864770

Post edited by mdbruffy on
  • edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    I spent most of last evening uploading most of my props and set pieces to my DA gallery for anyone who's intrested:

Thank you for sharing your props and set pieces! It is much appreciated.

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

I think most of them are available in the Freebies list by way of Xcalibur productions. But with Tamerlane having problems- they got hit big time by spammers some months ago and still haven't fully recovered- and the fact that Xcal doesn't get the exposure it needs, I felt i'd be better off to consoladate things in my DA gallery. So now, all of my Nova Trek books- and some non-Trek stories- as well as most of my props are there.

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    mdbruffy said:

I think most of them are available in the Freebies list by way of Xcalibur productions. But with Tamerlane having problems- they got hit big time by spammers some months ago and still haven't fully recovered- and the fact that Xcal doesn't get the exposure it needs, I felt i'd be better off to consoladate things in my DA gallery. So now, all of my Nova Trek books- and some non-Trek stories- as well as most of my props are there.

Plus on Xcal, I have a very hard time finding some of the items on the first page. o_O;;

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    mdbruffy said:

Plus on Xcal, I have a very hard time finding some of the items on the first page. o_O;;

You mean the home page or the downloads page?

edited May 2013

mdbruffy said:
    mdbruffy said:
    mdbruffy said:

first page of this thread, with all the links to the stuff. The xcal stuff, like the big phaser cannon, or TAS hallways, just takes me to ccal main page and not the item itself.

Post edited by TheCastellan on
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    mdbruffy said:
    mdbruffy said:

first page of this thread, with all the links to the stuff. The xcal stuff, like the big phaser cannon, or TAS hallways, just takes me to ccal main page and not the item itself.

I see. Some sites don't allow direct links- it's not just Xcal. Don't know why.

edited December 1969

After struggling with it for the last 2 days, fighting files that wouldn't go away and installing it twice, I can honestly say;

It's Alive! Done in Poser Pro 2014:

ST-VI-Bridge-in-Pro-2014--W.jpg
    900 x 616 - 287K
    ST-II-Bridge-in-Pro-2014--W.jpg
    900 x 557 - 225K
    Commodore-Jan-in-Pro-2014--.jpg
    900 x 681 - 167K
    edited May 2013

Paul, got an answer for this?

Post edited by shadowhawk1 on
  • PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

All,

This is easily explained.

During my tenure as the 'Keeper of the Freebies' and then when I re-organized the list to directly link to various ships, props and skins. I was contacted via PM here and over at Deviant Art to only link to the front page of the website.

the reason being, to advertise their content and other services and not just the free items.

Xcalpro, http://www.trekmeshes.ch and the now nonexisitant Marygraphics (which held the Voyager based props) being just few of the big names that support our scifi fix.

for Xcalpro, the process is relatively simple click on the word download on the left hand side of the splash page, and then click on...say...Sets and Furniture. and you're in ..."slicker than snot".

Treckmeshes.ch requires an extra step. click on download meshes, then "I Agree' if you agree to the Legalese. and surf to what you need. Just remember DAZ Studio doesn't use anything but it's own formats and OBJ files. Poser has the luxury of being able to use additional formats. So stick with OBJ formats.

Bruffy,

Great use of Poser2014. but now let see an image that won't be in your graphic novel, ie same scene but 'JUICED UP' render settings, lets see some of the more heavily advanced firefly features. (I'd do the same but I'm a NOOB first deck-seaman when it comes to Poser.)

I'm curious to see what you turn out.

I finally did my first 2014 image last night, I'm impressed to say the least with some of the features by I'm still a beginner.

The fitting room in my opinion still lags behind in what I discovered as an 'autofit' in my tutorial for D|S 'Never have poke through again. but then it's probably me that doesn't understand. how to use the feature...even after watching the tutorial four times.

Happy Futzing!
    Paul

edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    mdbruffy said:

All,

This is easily explained.

During my tenure as the 'Keeper of the Freebies' and then when I re-organized the list to directly link to various ships, props and skins. I was contacted via PM here and over at Deviant Art to only link to the front page of the website.

the reason being, to advertise their content and other services and not just the free items.

Xcalpro, http://www.trekmeshes.ch and the now nonexisitant Marygraphics (which held the Voyager based props) being just few of the big names that support our scifi fix.

for Xcalpro, the process is relatively simple click on the word download on the left hand side of the splash page, and then click on...say...Sets and Furniture. and you're in ..."slicker than snot".

Treckmeshes.ch requires an extra step. click on download meshes, then "I Agree' if you agree to the Legalese. and surf to what you need. Just remember DAZ Studio doesn't use anything but it's own formats and OBJ files. Poser has the luxury of being able to use additional formats. So stick with OBJ formats.

Bruffy,

Great use of Poser2014. but now let see an image that won't be in your graphic novel, ie same scene but 'JUICED UP' render settings, lets see some of the more heavily advanced firefly features. (I'd do the same but I'm a NOOB first deck-seaman when it comes to Poser.)

I finally did my first 2014 image last night, I'm impressed to say the least with some of the features by I'm still a beginner.

The fitting room in my opinion still lags behind in what I discovered as an 'autofit' in my tutorial for D|S 'Never have poke through again. but then it's probably me that doesn't understand. how to use the feature...even after watching the tutorial four times.

Happy Futzing!
    Paul

You're right about doing a non-trek pic. I should push the system before I try using it- especially considering the hassle I had to go through to get it to work.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,248
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    After struggling with it for the last 2 days, fighting files that wouldn't go away and installing it twice, I can honestly say;

nice work!

edited December 1969

TimG said:
    mdbruffy said:

nice work!

Thank you.

edited May 2013

PDSmith said:

Bruffy,

Happy Futzing!
    Paul

Paul, here you go, Firefly render engine is doing a heck of a job. These are better than any render I've ever done- uses Daz Studio's Alsan Court:

http://mdbruffy.deviantart.com/art/Alsan-Court-take-1-374089649

http://mdbruffy.deviantart.com/art/Alsan-Court-take-2-374090067

http://mdbruffy.deviantart.com/art/Alsan-Court-take-3-374090299

Haven't tried the fitting room yet. I'm leary of doing so. The program is still having issues with starting up- and if you try to delete a node in the material room, it crashes.

Post edited by mdbruffy on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

Congrats, looking good :-)

And thank you for uploading those items to DA.

edited May 2013

mdbruffy said:

Paul, here you go, Firefly render engine is doing a heck of a job. These are better than any render I've ever done- uses Daz Studio's Alsan Court:

Haven't tried the fitting room yet. I'm leary of doing so. The program is still having issues with starting up- and if you try to delete a node in the material room, it crashes.

The images look good, but I'm wondering about the white edge around the base of each wall inset and column I don't follow a light shine coming down to the ground that would give such an off or odd lighting effect. I suspect the walls at some point didn't hit the ground completely so a small amount of light from the outside may have came in.

In the render settings under Raytrace bounces, did you click on the 'INDIRECT LIGHT'? If not give it a shot, you'll see a slight slow down in the render time to what you just did, but given you and I work in smaller images that combine to make one big page, you may see a HUGE change in the quality. try a render size of about 500x350 and see what you get.

One last thing to consider. Your image is probably rendered in 72dpi, try uping it to a minimum of 120. Now you will see some serious changes!

When I did my own image (over at DA) I used the Real time raytrace preview, you'll find it helps fine tune the image and with the sped up render engine you shouldn't even see much of a hiccup in speed.

But them I'm only a Noob when it comes to Poser. Good luck and happy futzing!

-Paul

Post edited by PDSmith on
  • murbymurby Posts: 35
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

thanks very much for sharing :-)

edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    mdbruffy said:

The images look good, but I'm wondering about the white edge around the base of each wall inset and column I don't follow a light shine coming down to the ground that would give such an off or odd lighting effect. I suspect the walls at some point didn't hit the ground completely so a small amount of light from the outside may have came in.

In the render settings under Raytrace bounces, did you click on the 'INDIRECT LIGHT'? If not give it a shot, you'll see a slight slow down in the render time to what you just did, but given you and I work in smaller images that combine to make one big page, you may see a HUGE change in the quality. try a render size of about 500x350 and see what you get.

One last thing to consider. Your image is probably rendered in 72dpi, try uping it to a minimum of 120. Now you will see some serious changes!

When I did my own image (over at DA) I used the Real time raytrace preview, you'll find it helps fine tune the image and with the sped up render engine you shouldn't even see much of a hiccup in speed.

But them I'm only a Noob when it comes to Poser. Good luck and happy futzing!

-Paul

I don't render at 72. I render at 300 dpi and in this case, a size of 2016 by 1380. I always go large and then reduce down .Going back and looking at render 3, I see the white light you were talking about. Looks to me like the ceiling piece isn't all the way down on the walls like it should be. I'll check the settings for Indirect light- I don't remember if that was checked by default or not. I'll also check the manual for the Real time raytrace preview. It hasn't made an appearence yet.

edited December 1969

murby said:
    mdbruffy said:

thanks very much for sharing :-)

You're welcome.

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

Congrats, looking good :-)

And thank you for uploading those items to DA.

Thanks- and you're welcome. :-)

edited May 2013

mdbruffy said:
    I'll also check the manual for the Real time raytrace preview. It hasn't made an appearence yet.

It has...Refer to page 402 of the manual. or refer to this video http://my.smithmicro.com/webinars/poser/whats-new-in-poser10-and-pro2014/index.html#Video and surf forward to the 42:19 mark.

Just trying to help make your use of Poser 2014 all the better.

-Paul

Also is it me or is the notification bot like ultra slow. I just received the message Madison had uploaded his props over at DA.

Post edited by PDSmith on
    edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    mdbruffy said:
    I'll also check the manual for the Real time raytrace preview. It hasn't made an appearence yet.

It has...Refer to page 402 of the manual.

Just trying to help make your use of Poser 2014 all the better.

-Paul

Also is it me or is the notification bot like ultra slow. I just received the message Madison had uploaded his props over at DA.

Ikt's been slow and missing half of them. I never got a 'bot about Patience55's last post. Only found it by accident.

edited December 1969

just updated my previous post. for a video link as well.

-Paul

edited December 1969

PDSmith said:
    just updated my previous post. for a video link as well.

-Paul

I found it in the manual. I just haven't tried it yet. My copy of the program is having fits. When I bring it up, I get windows telling me it can't find things- but then it works fine until I go into the material room and try to remove a node. I can disconnect it, but when I try to actually remove it, the program crashes.
    So I'm holding off doing things until I can get hold of Smith micro tomorrow.

edited December 1969

Hey Bruffy,

I haven't seen any of the issues that you are describing, could you give me an idea of what you were doing when it crashed? I would like to see if I can duplicate them and if I can that would go a long way in showing that it is a bug that needs to be addressed. Could you PM me with the details please?

edited December 1969

Hey Bruffy,

I haven't seen any of the issues that you are describing, could you give me an idea of what you were doing when it crashed? I would like to see if I can duplicate them and if I can that would go a long way in showing that it is a bug that needs to be addressed. Could you PM me with the details please?

All i did was bring the program up, and did the renders I posted links to. I went into the material room and tried to attach a problight to a lamp in the scene. When it didn't work like I wanted it to, I disconnected it, and tried to remove the node- that's when it crashed,
    BUT, I think I might have found the answer. When I first installed the program, I swapped out that Runtime with my Poser 9 runtime. not realizing at the time, that I was also swaping the Python scripts. I just went back and replaced the scripts and brought the program up.This time no windows came up.
    I just the scne file into the Material room- the same scene file that had been crashing on me every time I tried to delete a node. This time it deleted with NO PROBLEM- no windows, no message and NO CRASH!

Yes, people the boy does have a brain! (sometimes...:-) )

This discussion has been closed.