Duplicate Content Directories with Download Manager

diogenese19348diogenese19348 Posts: 926
edited May 2013 in The Commons

Hey, the first thing I want to say is that I am really enjoying the new Install Manager. It takes all the guesswork out of the installs, and the way it automatically lets you know that something has been updated and needs to be downloaded again is outstanding.

I do have one question though: Originally DAZ Studio 4 was installing things to the user/DAZ3D/Studio/MyLibrary Directory with a mostly empty user/DAZ3D/Studio4/MyLibrary directory.

The Download manager of course likes the default of public/My DAZ 3D Library, and we were told it worked best if it did an install to a fresh directory, which I let it do.

Which leaves me with two very large generally duplicate runtimes. Now much as I like to buy bigger and bigger hard drives to accommodate this, it's sort of getting to the point of silliness (especially when you consider I have the whole older set of D/S 3 runtime in yet another separate directory.

So...

What are the issues with removing the old library? I realize I will need to re-install such content as I purchased, um, "elsewhere"

We aren't talking any small amount of disk space, I have over 3,500 downloads from here alone and my old runtime is over 300 GB

Post edited by frank0314 on

Comments

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

Poll removed.

• diogenese19348diogenese19348 Posts: 926
    edited December 1969

Sorry, did I break any rules with that? Didn't mean to cause a problem.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,380
    edited December 1969

we don't allow polls to be done. It is suppose to be disabled but isn't. I sure they'll get to it once everything else is running smoothly

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

One thin to be careful of when removing your old content folder is making sure you save the Data folder, so that old .daz scenes will work. You can just leave a content folder with only the Data subfolder, so it won't give you duplicate entries in your Content Library, but is available if a .daz file needs it.

edited December 1969

Gotcha. Don't touch all the pretty buttons %-P

Seriously, the site is coming along really well at this point, it's a whole lot better than it was a year ago. I'm sure it will get taken care of in due time. A lot of the recent stuff has been nothing short of awesome. It's nice to see DAZ getting back on track, you guys had me worried there for a bit.

edited December 1969

One thin to be careful of when removing your old content folder is making sure you save the Data folder, so that old .daz scenes will work. You can just leave a content folder with only the Data subfolder, so it won't give you duplicate entries in your Content Library, but is available if a .daz file needs it.

Actually I am prepared to lose that ability. The problem is just saving the data folder will not help with non-DAZ content, and many of my old scenes would access at least some of that. I was more worried that the program itself would hang because it would be expecting to find something in the old location even when everything is loaded from the new one.

I made some unwise decisions on freebies in the early days of Genesis (Warrior Princess anyone?) and I want to make sure the "gene pool" stays uncontaminated this time.