CMS not starting with DS 4.6

jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Uninstalled CMS through the start->DAZ->content management service, reinstalled DS 4.6. Worked when I first opened DS. Now it's not.

Nothing showing in "Products" or "Categories".

When i look at something in the content library, and go to "content DB editor" everything is empty.

If i right click and go "categorize" on an item in the content library, the categories are empty.

Have reimported metadata.

Am now at a loss.

Comments

• Dr StupidDr Stupid Posts: 313
    edited December 1969

Whenever this has happened to me in the past it has always been due to a corrupt database. Did you try deleting it before reimporting? That has always worked for me. Can't remember off the top of my head where it is though! I have just moved house and have yet to unpack and install my workstations, and don't have Studio installed on my laptop. Sorry I can't be more help, but if you can find and delete the database, and then restart Studio and reimport the content info, it might do the trick :)

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

Have you tried manually turning the CMS off/on? I'm not sure what OS you're on, but for Windows you can hit your Windows key and search in the box for "content management" and you should see icons come up for starting and stopping the service.

To find out if the CMS is actually running, you can hold the Windows key and push R for the run box, type in "services.msc" without the quotes and scroll down for DAZ Content Management Service. It will say Stop the Service if it's currently running, or Start the Service if it's currently off.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

thanks for the help guys! In answer to both your questions (so i don't have to quote the full posts of both):

Yes I deleted the CMS, then deleted DS, then reinstalled DS. I do remember there is somewhere you go to delete the rest of hte CMS stuff once you have uninstalled it, and I can't for the life of me remember where that is. And I've done it four times in the past. :sigh:

Yes I have manually turned the CMS on.

And I tried what you just suggested Vaskania: I opened DS, then did the windows key + R, and typed in services.msc. Under "status" for DAZ Content Managerment Service is blank - it doesn't say stopped OR started. There's nothing written there. Under "start up type" it says automatic.

So I "started" the CMS, opened up DS, and still got nothing in the "products" section, and there is nothing showing in Smart Content when Genesis is selected. I reimported metadata, and still nothing. You can see by the screenshot where a particular product - one i actually SAW in the reimported metadata - is showing nothing at all in the DB editor. Which doesn't seem right.....

posesmetadata.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 200K
    edited December 1969

in this screenshot you can see that I have Genesis selected, and the Smart Content is blank. And it's showing that the CMS is running. So I'm drawing a blank here.

cms.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 354K
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Jaki, you are looking in the Services tab, look instead in the Processes tab, and select 'Processes from all Users'. It probably wont be there.

I chaned to 4.6, and I could not Categorise anything, CMS kept stopping. I used the DB Maintenance options, got rid of all the DB content, but it still didn't work. I found where my 'databases' folder was, and I removed the five files inside, two of them are .VDB files, and I put them somewhere safe for the moment.

I uninstalled CMS, reinstalled DS4.6, and the DBs were rebuilt again. I had to import my Metadata agin, and my saved (backup) of my User data, which took a little while, but it all works perfectly now.

edited December 1969

Jaki, you are looking in the Services tab, look instead in the Processes tab, and select 'Processes from all Users'. It probably wont be there.

I chaned to 4.6, and I could not Categorise anything, CMS kept stopping. I used the DB Maintenance options, got rid of all the DB content, but it still didn't work. I found where my 'databases' folder was, and I removed the five files inside, two of them are .VDB files, and I put them somewhere safe for the moment.

I uninstalled CMS, reinstalled DS4.6, and the DBs were rebuilt again. I had to import my Metadata agin, and my saved (backup) of my User data, which took a little while, but it all works perfectly now.

WHERE are those files in the databases folder??? That's what I did last time, but I cannot for th elife of me remember where they are.

edited December 1969

Mine are in C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service\databases, but some people don;t seem to have them there. I only ever did a default install, so why mine would be different, I don;t knwo, try in there.

If you still can't find them do a search for 'ContentDB.vdb' on your drive. There are 5 files altogether in the databases folder, I just removed them all, and they weere rebuilt when I reinstalled.

If you are using your own Categories, you need to have a backup of that or they will be lost?

edited December 1969

Mine are in C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service\databases, but some people don;t seem to have them there. I only ever did a default install, so why mine would be different, I don;t knwo, try in there.

If you still can't find them do a search for 'ContentDB.vdb' on your drive. There are 5 files altogether in the databases folder, I just removed them all, and they weere rebuilt when I reinstalled.

If you are using your own Categories, you need to have a backup of that or they will be lost?

that's interesting. I don't have a "databases" folder in C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\Content Management Service. And the odd thing is, I'm pretty certain I used to cos that's what I remember going into to delete the files when uninstalling and then reinstalling the CMS last time.

And I just did a search for ContentDB.vdb and it came up zilch.

I don't use my own categories etc, so no worries on that score.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Try looking in Program Data for the files Jaki. Program data folder is a Windows hidden folder so you will need to "Show Hidden Folders" first.

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Try looking in Program Data for the files Jaki. Program data folder is a Windows hidden folder so you will need to "Show Hidden Folders" first.

BINGO!!! there is the "databases" folder!!! LOL. Thank you.

ok, i'm going to try uninstalling the CMS, delete the files in there, uninstall DS, then reinstall everything. See if it works this time.

edited December 1969

I am still baffled as to why mine are in Program Files, and everyone else has them somwhere else, I must be 'Speshul'

I may have decided to install CMS to a non-default location, but it doesn't sound like me, and I don't remember doing it. Oh well, just another thing I don't remember.

Hope it works Jaki, it should, mine did.

edited May 2013

Glad you got that sorted. Crossing my fingers it will actually work after all of that. lol

@Jimmy.. This is why I customize everything. In my ProgramData\Daz3D folder, all I have in there is an INI telling it where my CMS and databases are actually installed to ( in my case my CMS is installed on E: and databases are on F: ).

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

*does happy dance*

THAT'S IT!!!

when uninstalling the CMS, you MUST go to that databases folder and delete those files BEFORE reinstalling. And then reimport the metadata. When I had tried reimporting metadata, it zipped through it in about 3 seconds - and that told me something was going wrong.

Everything's back to normal now, all my icons have the little word at the top right - actor, script, pose - etc, and my Products list is populated again.

Wooohoooo!!

Thanks everyone!!!

edited December 1969

I am still baffled as to why mine are in Program Files, and everyone else has them somwhere else, I must be 'Speshul'

I may have decided to install CMS to a non-default location, but it doesn't sound like me, and I don't remember doing it. Oh well, just another thing I don't remember.

Hope it works Jaki, it should, mine did.

when i reinstall DS, i choose "customize CMS installation"...BUT i don't change what is written there by default. And when I reinstalled then, I took notice of where it was installing and it said the CMS was going into PROGRAM DATA. I had missed that the first time.

edited December 1969

...now i just gotta figure out that fix for duplicate ID's when loading a NON-daz product....

edited December 1969

There is a script for that Jaki, I think it is in Richard's sig

I was really pleased when mine worked too, I'm happy for you :)

@Vaskania, that is all I have in my Program Data folder under DAZ 3D as well, just the ini file.

@Pete, thanks for the Program Data info, I was gioing to suggest that next, I just couldn't figure out why mine would be different, but I must have changed it as some point. I hate hidden folders, so all of mine are visible anyway.

edited December 1969

found the script and yep it works perfect! :D YAY finally a night where stuff is going well...for a change. LOL

edited December 1969

@Vaskania, that is all I have in my Program Data folder under DAZ 3D as well, just the ini file.

Yea. If you open it like a regular notepad you can see where your CMS and databases are installed to if you need to get to them and can't find them.

edited December 1969

It's a good feeling, wish it happened more often though :)

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:

Yea. If you open it like a regular notepad you can see where your CMS and databases are installed to if you need to get to them and can't find them.

Yes, I had a look, I should start writing these down somehwere. I also have to search for my saved Categories, but they are usually easy enough to find.in C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\Runtime\Support, I make sure I keep the file UserData_1.dsx, and it means I wont (shouldn't) lose my Categories.

I know my way around it now a lot better than I used to, but I have only started using Categories.

edited December 1969

Great no notifications again.

Since the Birth of CMS and the very first time I had issues with it I learned to uninstall CMS before upgrading. Since then I haven't had one single issue with CMs stopping...ever. I keep a clean house and using MS Security Essentials for my Anti Virus and Firewall etc etc.

I installed Daz Studio to C:\Daz3D\Daz Studio 4 and the content went to my USB Hard Drive and in the last 6 months I have had Daz Studio installed on 3 different computers all using Vista and still never had any issues.

edited May 2013

@Jimmy - I believe I saw before that you can go to Content DB Maintenance in Daz and export your user data through there, which lets you save your custom categories.

@Szark - I did the same thing with my Daz content. I have Daz in E:\Program Files\Daz Studio 4, and all of my content in multiple libraries held in F:\Daz Studio. Nothing is on my C drive that doesn't need to be-- only the OS, security software, and drivers go on it as it's an SSD drive and I prefer to keep it clean for performance reasons. It irked me to no end that I couldn't customize the DIM installation. No option, or anything.. just straight to C:. >.>

Adobe presets bug me for the same reason. I can add in multiple Plugin folders, but not Presets folders? Meh.

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
    edited December 1969

I don't have DIM installed now, but I did have and gave it the once over I from what I can remember you can direct DIM to whereever you want. Granted you would have to change the location depending on what you are installing and for me I have over 30 content folders, Animals and Creatures, Buildings, Clothing ete etc this seemed to be a pain to do. But when I get a new PC I will be using DIM and redo all my content...hopefully for the last time. :)

edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    @Jimmy - I believe I saw before that you can go to Content DB Maintenance in Daz and export your user data through there, which lets you save your custom categories.

That's how I do it. It takes just over 30 seconds to save mine, as I don;t have much Categorised yet, AdamR posted that it took his something liek 3 hours to save, so he must have a lot done :)

At least now, I can do a bit of Categorisation when I'm in the mood, save it, and then it wont be lost, or need to be done again. I am well pleased with it.
    edited December 1969

Szark, you can customize your libraries in DIM, but not where DIM itself is installed to. I wiped my library and started fresh when I upgraded from 4.0 to 4.6, so the DIM was already established, which made separating libraries easy.

edited December 1969

Arr I understand now Vaskania, cheers..sorry for being slow on the uptake...bad day today..

edited December 1969

Oh, no worries, and hope you feel better. :)

edited December 1969

Thx it is a cold and wet day here and it has got in to my joints so the head is not quite thinking straight. I think I will go and watch a movie while I have a Vue render cooking.