The Gargantual - [commercial]

RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,731
edited May 2013 in The Commons

The Gargantual

Now Available

http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/the-gargantual

These Giant beasts are as hard on the outside as they are on the inside.
Fierce warriors, their body is encrusted with solid rock that not even the mightiest sword can penetrate.
Bring a new player to your battlefields with these Gargantuals for Genesis.

Product Includes:

• One Gargantual Morph
• Three Gargantual Textures (diffuse, displacement and specularity maps)
• Three Eye colours (diffuse, displacement and specularity maps)
• Three Character Presets

Post edited by RawArt on

Comments

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,731
    edited December 1969

more pics of this big beasty

Gargan-pop5.jpg
    500 x 650 - 191K
    Gargan-pop2.jpg
    500 x 650 - 140K
  • LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,983
    edited May 2013

The big guy is still locked up in his cage. I hope somebody is still awake at DAZ and will let him come out and play in my Product Library or knock on my DIM front door...

Post edited by Lindsey on
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,487
    edited December 1969

Lindsey said:
    The big guy is still locked up in his cage. I hope somebody is still awake at DAZ and will let him come out and play in my Product Library or knock on my DIM front door...

its out now and for a very short intro at the awesome sale discount of 46% off!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.daz3d.com/the-gargantual/

:D

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,983
    edited December 1969

Lindsey said:

its out now and for a very short intro at the awesome sale discount of 46% off!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.daz3d.com/the-gargantual/

:D

There he is... thanks for the heads up belovedalia! Been sidetracked making gummy elephants and bears....

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,972
    edited December 1969

So, question -- are those rocky formations a result of a morph, geo-graft or really big displacement? (That thing is so going to my shopping cart, but I still wanna know before hitting "buy".) :)

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

displacement maps

edited December 1969

The Gargantual

Now Available

http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/the-gargantual

All the rocky formations are done with displacement maps :)

Gargan-pop3.jpg
    500 x 650 - 175K
  • KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited December 1969

RawArt, on your second promo (first in second post) the giant is clothed. How does displacement reacts to clothes? Won't it pokethrough?

edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    RawArt, on your second promo (first in second post) the giant is clothed. How does displacement reacts to clothes? Won't it pokethrough?

There should be no (or very little) problem with the displacement on pants. I designed the rocks to taper off as it goes down to waist level.
    Shirts on the other hand will have problems with the displacements of course.
    You probably could turn down the displacements on the various body parts if it becomes an issue, though this type of character would rarely be used wearing shirts.

Rawn

edited May 2013

Awesome, thanks for letting me know. Waiting for some other things to fall in place, before hitting the "buy buy buy!" button. :D I specifically want the dude for those lava rocks, and I WISH there were an icy variant too, let alone stuff like green or blue or purple or even pink! crystals. :D

Post edited by Skiriki on
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    Awesome, thanks for letting me know. Waiting for some other things to fall in place, before hitting the "buy buy buy!" button. :D I specifically want the dude for those lava rocks, and I WISH there were an icy variant too, let alone stuff like green or blue or purple or even pink! crystals. :D

If you have m4/v4/F4 you could use this for the ice: http://www.daz3d.com/frost-giants

I designed this guy so that he looks like he could fit in that family of giants.

Rawn

• Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 1969

Awesome figure Ron!

edited December 1969

Hmmm, I do have the shapes for Genesis, yes...

• JohnDelaquioxJohnDelaquiox Posts: 1,184
    edited December 1969

Came out Awesome and I just bought two of your giants not too long ago

Awesome!

Man you are the displacement map master

• tonymousetonymouse Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

Gargantual is awesome!! Here is my first pic using him, I wanted him to fit into a Sci Fi setting and I changed his shape a lot along the way.

Genesis_Sci_Fi_Gigantus.jpg
    1050 x 1028 - 350K
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

Kind of looks like this dude I morphed with your Giantology creature http://fav.me/d65113q

edited December 1969

Ok...so whose monstrosity is badder...My Gargantual or DAZ's Fiend??

Rawn

hellbash.jpg
    960 x 840 - 316K
    edited December 1969

Somewhere, in a distant and ominous castle, in a basement room full of monitors, a large wingbacked chair faces the glow. A gloved finger is seen tap-tap-tapping the armrest of the chair.

"Excellent. Now, all we need is a lightning bolt... and the fusion is complete!"

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    Ok...so whose monstrosity is badder...My Gargantual or DAZ's Fiend??

Rawn

I won't be able to answer that until payday. I really like the render, though. Y'know, without the rocks, Gargantual looks a lot like a guy I work with. :roll:

• MuzeMuze Posts: 182
    edited December 1969

Here's a picture I made...

GiantVolcano.jpg
    615 x 369 - 127K
    edited May 2013

Muze said:
    Here's a picture I made...

Nice one Muze!!!
    Look HOT !!!!! (pun fully intended LOL)

Rawn

Post edited by RawArt on
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339
    edited December 1969

Love the character, but I'm having trouble with close-ups. Far shots, no problem, but when I zoom in the top tips of the stone chips cuts off flat. The closer I get, the more it's clipped off. Settings are all default. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just a limitation of the displacement mapping?

-- Walt Sterdan

HeadTests.jpg
    1024 x 532 - 424K
    edited December 1969

wsterdan said:
    Love the character, but I'm having trouble with close-ups. Far shots, no problem, but when I zoom in the top tips of the stone chips cuts off flat. The closer I get, the more it's clipped off. Settings are all default. Am I doing something wrong, or is this just a limitation of the displacement mapping?

-- Walt Sterdan

That is odd. It looks more like a rendering issue with d/s than a texture since it is so flattly cropped across the top. If it was a texture issue it would be cropped an equal distance away from the base of the figure.
    I think you may have to contact DAZ to see whats up with that one.
    Definitely a weird one.

edited December 1969

If that's a spot render, it occasionally makes a blunder when it comes to what it should focus on and it renders an area below the selected area.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

Skiriki said:
    If that's a spot render, it occasionally makes a blunder when it comes to what it should focus on and it renders an area below the selected area.

I thought it might be a spot render too when I saw the render. I've had that happen a few times. The final render always turns out ok, though.

edited May 2013

Skiriki said:

Nope, it's a final render. Very puzzling

Can anyone (preferably with a Mac) render a close-up of the head to compare? I'd like to see a working image, and compare spec's before posting a bug report.

I'm currently tesing on my son's iMac with 32 GB RAM, with an AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB video card, OSX 10.8.3,

Interesting update: I thought I'd see what happens when I drop the render quality down a notch (from 3Delight to OpenGL GLSL) and D|S crashes, everytime. I load Infernal Behemoth instead and no problem.

Thanks,
    Walt Sterdan

Post edited by wsterdan on
    edited December 1969

Huhhh. That is odd indeed. Sadly, the awesome dude is on my wishlist at the moment instead of runtime, so I can't make a comparison render.

edited December 1969

wsterdan said:
    Skiriki said:

Can anyone (preferably with a Mac) render a close-up of the head to compare? I'd like to see a working image, and compare spec's before posting a bug report.

I'm currently tesing on my son's iMac with 32 GB RAM, with an AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB video card, OSX 10.8.3,

Interesting update: I thought I'd see what happens when I drop the render quality down a notch (from 3Delight to OpenGL GLSL) and D|S crashes, everytime. I load Infernal Behemoth instead and no problem.

Thanks,
    Walt Sterdan

I have a couple of people at daz looking into this issue.
    They agree it is odd.
    I was able to get a similar result, but not to the degree you did, and it changed as I changed lights and angle of the camera. So there is something going on.

edited December 1969

RawArt said:
    wsterdan said:
    Skiriki said:

Thanks,
    Walt Sterdan

I have a couple of people at daz looking into this issue.
    They agree it is odd.
    I was able to get a similar result, but not to the degree you did, and it changed as I changed lights and angle of the camera. So there is something going on.

Thanks muchly, it's appreciated.

Off to buy your new pose set...

Walt Sterdan

edited May 2013

I heard back from daz and their response is:

According to the programmers, it really is the bucket size.
    The user should be able to go into render settings and increase the bucket size anytime they see this issue and have it fixed.

Hope this helps

Rawn

Post edited by RawArt on