What about a fit clone from G8 to G3?

..in the past there have been retro fit clones (both F and M) to fit clothing from the newest to the previous Genesis generation.  Usually these were releases shortly after the newest Genesis version was introduced.  With G8 that has not been the case.  Considering pretty much all new clothing being released is for G8 only (and there are so really nice styles) it would really be nice to have an actual G8 to G3 fit clone.  The only products see being released for both G3 and G8 are some pose sets, some hair content, and characters, but little if any clothing.

Comments

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 734

+1. I like SickleYield's new Roman outfits, and would love to use them with G3 and G2.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited February 2018

...that is just one clothing item I want which finally spurred me to put this comment up.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Yeah, I saw those two sets of Roman tunics, too... and lamented they were G8 only.

• Seconded!

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750
    kyoto kid said:

..in the past there have been retro fit clones (both F and M) to fit clothing from the newest to the previous Genesis generation.  Usually these were releases shortly after the newest Genesis version was introduced.  With G8 that has not been the case.  Considering pretty much all new clothing being released is for G8 only (and there are so really nice styles) it would really be nice to have an actual G8 to G3 fit clone.  The only products see being released for both G3 and G8 are some pose sets, some hair content, and characters, but little if any clothing.

Have you tried just using G8 clothes on G3 figures with autofit yet?

..OK, I'll give that a try.

• Speaking of SickleYield, on her DA page there is a tutorial on how to manually fit G3 clothes to G8 and G8 clothes to G3. I've used the tutorial a few times and it works great.

https://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-Convert-Clothing-G3-to-G8-G8-to-G3-686682065

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,622
    edited February 2018

Speaking of SickleYield, on her DA page there is a tutorial on how to manually fit G3 clothes to G8 and G8 clothes to G3. I've used the tutorial a few times and it works great.

https://sickleyield.deviantart.com/journal/Tutorial-Convert-Clothing-G3-to-G8-G8-to-G3-686682065

There's not really even a need for a clone.  They're extremely close to being the same figure in different poses.  The biggest improvements to G8 were to the facial expressions and the separate eyelashes, viz., the head.  The tuturial basically says change the pose, bake the joint rotations and change the scene identification.  You'll get a better result than autofit with a clone.  It just takes a few more clicks.

I mean not like that'll stop me making one if another PA isn't, because I like having money.  But there is a way, is all I'm saying.

Post edited by SickleYield on

...I'm one to purchase a utility if it improves workflow.

• BruganBrugan Posts: 365

Sorry if it's been asked before, but has anyone released a good autofit clone from G8 to G3?

Reeeeeeally want to buy the new Aeon Soul outfit but I'm still primarily using G3 o_O

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

there's a pretty foolproof tutorial from Sickleyield on fitting from G8 to G3.

I appreciate anything any PA does for the community, including tutorials.

That said, I want it in one click, because I'm slightly lazy, willing to put my money where my mouth is and buy the product, and I already use up hours of time on other things in DS. :)

• LeanaLeana Posts: 10,910

You'll often get better results with SY's method than with autofit though, as you keep original rigging...

• There is a set of freebie clones for this in the Freebies forum. https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/189206/freebies-by-catherine3678a#latest

Leana said:

You'll often get better results with SY's method than with autofit though, as you keep original rigging...

No doubt, but when I'm planning renders I may kitbash dozens of different outfits until I find the right combination for the scene/character, and that's a crapton of manual fitting. An autofit clone allows me to move quickly through different options until I find what works, then I can manually perfect the fit later ;)

This will be less of an issue for me in coming months as there will be an increasing selection of G8 characters to chose from, but so far I haven't seen characters to sufficiently replace my (ridiculously large) collection of G3's.

Thanks Daywalker I will check those out!

• I'd pay for a G8 to G3 clone for clothing, male and female, as well. The time saved is so worth money...Please, SickleYield, please, pretty please? 0:-)

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

Agreed. Instant buy.

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited February 2018

Still no Autofit from g8 to g3? What a shame. I do not want to use g8 because I habe spent much time to create a character for my g3 and what I hate is that there are just new clothes for g8 and no more clothes for g3 coming out. If it goes on this way I will quit my render hobby. What means also that I will not buy any more stuff here at DAZ.

Post edited by cosmo71 on

...same here , started a thread last week on this in the Products Suggestions forum.

• but so far I haven't seen characters to sufficiently replace my (ridiculously large) collection of G3's.

I said the same thing when I started, I used G2, since it was always cheaper in the store. I will probably do a slow migration and mix characters for a while.

All I'm waiting on is something to get my G3 to wear all the G8 clothes and outfits I'm stock piling.

It's real annoying to wait. But today, it seems we got G8 wearing older Victoria 4/Michael 4 era clothes. so That's a start.

• I'd buy it, too.  smiley

• Threads merged. ~Mod

LOL ok.  I've asked Daz if they'd publish a G3 clone for G8. 

Someone said something about the Generation 3's (V3, M3, Aiko 3, etc.) and that's less likely because 1. the Gen 4 ones were a huge pain with just the two sexes' options and 2. there are a LOT of Generation 3 figures.

• Did you mean a G8 clone for G3? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the terminology. I'd instant buy anything that would help fitting G8 clothes on G3.

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

I have tried the SY tutorial and on my system (using DS4.10), I could not get it to work. (fyi, I do know how to follow a protocol).

If it is easy to make a G8 clone for G3, why doesn't some enterprising PA make one and sell it? There are obviously buyers willing to part with their hard earned dollars.

I have tried the SY tutorial and on my system (using DS4.10), I could not get it to work. (fyi, I do know how to follow a protocol).

If it is easy to make a G8 clone for G3, why doesn't some enterprising PA make one and sell it? There are obviously buyers willing to part with their hard earned dollars.

It's easy to set up just the basic one, compared to for example the template products I do or a large clothing product like the Roman dForce set. Actually setting it up with a skirt clone that doesn't badly triangulate takes more specific fiddling. It took me most of the day yesterday to do the two G8 female clones for Genesis 3 Female (base and skirt). Today and tomorrow I'll be working on the male clone bases, and then the gender-swap versions. If it gets through testing fast it's dimly possible it might come out before March.
  • IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300

It's easy to set up just the basic one, compared to for example the template products I do or a large clothing product like the Roman dForce set. Actually setting it up with a skirt clone that doesn't badly triangulate takes more specific fiddling. It took me most of the day yesterday to do the two G8 female clones for Genesis 3 Female (base and skirt). Today and tomorrow I'll be working on the male clone bases, and then the gender-swap versions. If it gets through testing fast it's dimly possible it might come out before March.

Thanks for responding. Look forward to your G8 clone release.

..thanks.  Will just keep the G8 clothing I want on the wishlist until then.

• PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315
    edited February 2018
    kyoto kid said:

..thanks.  Will just keep the G8 clothing I want on the wishlist until then.

Be careful, apparently now when a product says, "Compatible Software: DAZ Studio 4.10" it is only guaranteed to work in Studio 4.10.
    If it says, "Compatible Software: DAZ Studio 4.10; DAZ Studio" it will work in older versions.
    I just got tripped up on Haven Park and Now Crowd Billboards, they won't work in 4.9.2.70. Had to get a refund.

Post edited by Petercat on