Does DSON work with Poser Pro 2014?

Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

Does anyone know if the DSON plugin works with Poser Pro 2014? The DSON announcement in this forum doesn't say anything about compatible Poser versions.

Comments

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited December 1969

Yes just tried it worked no problem at all just install the plugin to the 2014 dir and it's all the same as 2012.
    Here's M5 in my Hypersuit

Genesis.jpg
    737 x 1100 - 198K
  • Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the info, midnight_stories.

Great looking render too.

• Midnight_storiesMidnight_stories Posts: 4,112
    edited May 2013

Thanks for the info, midnight_stories.

Great looking render too.

OK I know what it was, the suit after I did the maths it alone was 4million so no wonder it crashed genesis works fine 0, struggles a bit on level 1 no way level 2. That with the uni-mesh at level 2.

Post edited by Midnight_stories on
  • Dim ReaperDim Reaper Posts: 687
    edited December 1969

I'd say that DSON is compatible with Poser Pro 2014, but does not work as well as it does in Poser Pro 2012.

With one Genesis figure in particular I have to turn off "Use displacement maps" in the render settings otherwise the results of rendering look like a starving zombie.

On the other hand, I have managed to successfully convert a pair of Genesis jeans to use with Vicki 4.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603
    edited May 2013

I'd say that DSON is compatible with Poser Pro 2014, but does not work as well as it does in Poser Pro 2012.

With one Genesis figure in particular I have to turn off "Use displacement maps" in the render settings otherwise the results of rendering look like a starving zombie.

On the other hand, I have managed to successfully convert a pair of Genesis jeans to use with Vicki 4.

That sounds interesting. I have only tried DSON as a way to put Genesis and associated clothing into Poser. How did you convert Genesis clothes to Vicky 4? Does Wardrobe Wizard support Genesis? Were you using this new fitting Room? Or is there some other trick to it?

My only attempt at DSON so far was a bit of a failure. I was using Genesis with a female body shape and the Genesis Mall Girl Outfit. It looked fine in the preview but the render had huge amoputs of poke-through that wasn't there in the preview. I haven't worked out if this is DSON issue or just a Poser problem, I've seen Poser show things differently in the preview before but not as bad as this.

Quick edit. Should have read your post better first time. Switching off displacement maps fixed my problem with poke through in the render.

Post edited by Peter Wade on
  • Dim ReaperDim Reaper Posts: 687
    edited December 1969

I was trying out the new fitting room. Genesis clothing to V4 so far has worked very well. V4 clothing to Genesis makes the clothing explode so far.

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,783
    edited December 1969

The Transfer Active Morph script in run in PP2014 is really, REALLY SLOOOOOW. A clothed V5 with hair took over two minutes. Also, I can't open my scenes with DSON items in PP 2014 that I created with PP2012. Poser can't find the geometries... :(

• RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited December 1969

Like with all new product I'm sure, they work on updates on DSON. Have you seen how many plugin's have bee updated as DAZ moved form version 4.0 to 4.5. With a littl patient, we will see better working versions of all the tools.

• mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited May 2013

OKay, Just installed Poser Pro 2014. Just installed DSON. I activated the Python scripts. Went to the addons and clicked on DSON Importer.

Nothing showed up. Is there supposed to be a window or something? I can't even track down a Readme or a manual .

OKay, found the Readme. Did everything they said to do and the content is not showing up. In fact, other than the drop down menus, nothing DSON related is showing up anywhere.
    I'm of the opinion that DSON doesn't work in Pro 2014.

Post edited by mdbruffy on
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    OKay, Just installed Poser Pro 2014. Just installed DSON. I activated the Python scripts. Went to the addons and clicked on DSON Importer.

Nothing showed up. Is there supposed to be a window or something? I can't even track down a Readme or a manual .

OKay, found the Readme. Did everything they said to do and the content is not showing up. In fact, other than the drop down menus, nothing DSON related is showing up anywhere.

Did you install the Genesis Starter Essentials and its Poser Companion files to a runtime in your Poser Library?

If so, it should load up like a Poser figure.

Here's an installation tutorial...

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dson_importer/poser/userguide/dson_installation_requirements/tips/required_files/start

edited December 1969

WandW said:
    mdbruffy said:

Did you install the Genesis Starter Essentials and its Poser Companion files to a runtime in your Poser Library?

If so, it should load up like a Poser figure.

Here's an installation tutorial...

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dson_importer/poser/userguide/dson_installation_requirements/tips/required_files/start
    Yes. I created a folder in the Runtime- named it DAZ. Installed the content to that folder. Added DAZ as a new library. I tried to bring up the DSON windows and nothing came up. It's listed in the drop down menus, But when I clicked on them,.nothing happened.
    Wait-a-minute, what Poser Companion files???? There are only two files- the installer and the Content.

edited May 2013

mdbruffy said:

Yes. I created a folder in the Runtime- named it DAZ. Installed the content to that folder. Added DAZ as a new library. I tried to bring up the DSON windows and nothing came up. It's listed in the drop down menus, But when I clicked on them,.nothing happened.
    Wait-a-minute, what Poser Companion files???? There are only two files- the installer and the Content.

There are three; under Genesis Starter Essentials you will find (for Windows) 14812_GenesisStarterEssentialsPoserCF_1.13_dpc.exe :)
    Post edited by WandW on
    edited December 1969

WandW said:
    mdbruffy said:

There are three; under Genesis Starter Essentials you will find (for Windows) 14812_GenesisStarterEssentialsPoserCF_1.13_dpc.exe :)

Okay. No one ever said anything about a third file. I was always under the impression there were only 2. I've downloaded that one and I'll try it again- for the last time.
    I don't mean to sound like an SOB, but over the past m onth, I've bought 3 programs and I've had to wrestle with all 3 to get them to work- one simply refused. I'm just getting tired of one fight after another.

edited December 1969

Okay, the content is showing up, but now DSON is telling me it needs yet another runtime folder outside the Program folder. Tell me it's not asking for a Third Runtime?? I already have my Poser runtime and the DAZ folder which has the DSON content. How many more does it need?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

You don't want to install UNDER Runtime, you need to install to the folder that CONTAINS Runtime.

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    Okay, the content is showing up, but now DSON is telling me it needs yet another runtime folder outside the Program folder. Tell me it's not asking for a Third Runtime?? I already have my Poser runtime and the DAZ folder which has the DSON content. How many more does it need?

You have to install to a writeable folder, which means outside of Program Files. Only the DSON Importer itself gets installed to the internal runtime.

edited May 2013

You don't want to install UNDER Runtime, you need to install to the folder that CONTAINS Runtime.

That's where it's at- in the Poser Pro 2014 program folder.

Program files--Smith micro--Poser Pro 2014-- DAZ--Content files
    ---Poser Runtime

Post edited by mdbruffy on
    edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

---Poser Runtime

BZZZZT! Wrong answer. The Poser program runtime is not part of the Library, nor is it intended to be; this changed due to User Access Control introduced in Windows Vista.. The Poser installer and the manual both tell you where to install your content; that's not the place to install it.

The DSON importer program does get installed there, as it is an add-on program. Reality 3 should be installed there too.. Python scripts should be installed there, and Apollo Maximus' Face Room Head. That's about all that should be put there.....

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

Oh, I missed this post. Install the Poser Companion Files where the DSON content is installed. Make sure that folder is added to the library.

BTW, I have over 20 separate runtime folders in my Library...

edited December 1969

WandW said:
    mdbruffy said:

---Poser Runtime

BZZZZT! Wrong answer. The Poser program runtime is not part of the Library, nor is it intended to be; this changed due to User Access Control introduced in Windows Vista.. The Poser installer and the manual both tell you where to install your content; that's not the place to install it.

The DSON importer program does get installed there, as it is an add-on program. Reality 3 should be installed there too.. Python scripts should be installed there, and Apollo Maximus' Face Room Head. That's about all that should be put there.....

Poser Pro gives you the choice of traditioonal installation- which puts all of Poser Pro 2014 in the same Program folder- runtime included. My Pro 2014 was working just fine before DSON. Now I tried putting a folder in My Documents- which where Poser 9's Runtime had to go and DSON wouldn't take it. So where is it supposed to go??

edited December 1969

The DSON Importer (the Python scripts) go into the internal runtime in Program Files. The content and PoserCF go into an external runtime.

edited December 1969

The DSON Importer (the Python scripts) go into the internal runtime in Program Files. The content and PoserCF go into an external runtime.

I uinderstand that it goes outside the Poser Runtime. But does that also mean outside the Smith micro folder?

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

Poser Pro gives you the choice of traditioonal installation- which puts all of Poser Pro 2014 in the same Program folder- runtime included. My Pro 2014 was working just fine before DSON. Now I tried putting a folder in My Documents- which where Poser 9's Runtime had to go and DSON wouldn't take it. So where is it supposed to go??

It's a very bad choice if you are using a Windows version higher than XP, unless you install Poser outside of Program Files; that's why it's not the default. You will find that subsequently installed content won't work properly. I'd uninstall Poser and reinstall it with the content in a writable location.

However, the Importer itself does go in the Poser Program folder, as its a program...

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:

I uinderstand that it goes outside the Poser Runtime. But does that also mean outside the Smith micro folder?
    It has to be outside of the Program Files hierarchy.

Reinstall Poser with the Content in a writable location; you will be far happier in the long run...

edited December 1969

WandW said:
    mdbruffy said:

It has to be outside of the Program Files hierarchy.

Reinstall Poser with the Content in a writable location; you will be far happier in the long run...

For the last time, My Poser Pro is working just fine the way it is. That's not the issue. The issue is where DSON's (*&^ Content folder goes. Does it go outside the Smith micro folder- Yes or no?

edited May 2013

mdbruffy said:

For the last time, My Poser Pro is working just fine the way it is. That's not the issue. The issue is where DSON's (*&^ Content folder goes. Does it go outside the Smith micro folder- Yes or no?

You are not listening. Reread Mike's and my posts; We've told you everything you need to know....

Post edited by WandW on
    edited December 1969

WandW said:
    mdbruffy said:

You are not listening. Reread my posts; I've told you everything you need to know....

I've moved the Dson Content folder to the "My Documents" folder. Now it works.

• RCTSpankyRCTSpanky Posts: 850
    edited May 2013

Following this thread I'm more confused as before. Maybe one of you please can make a sketch in treeform, where we should install DSON, CFFiles, Genesis etc. A picture says more than words and it's easier to understand. But please, this is only a suggestion.

Post edited by RCTSpanky on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,696
    edited December 1969

Pick a folder that isn't in Program Files - \Smith Micro\Poser X Content in your documents folder, or \DAZ 3d\Studio\My Library in your documents folder, or somewhere else - install all the content (the core or TRX files and the Poser Companion Files) to that folder and, if it isn't already, add the folder as an external library in Poser by clicking the button showing a folder with a + at top-right of the library panel. The plugin itself installs to the Poser application folder, the one you installed Poser itself to.

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

So far I can't get any Python scripts to run in PP2014, not DSON, nothing, i reinstalled all my scripts in my PP2014 folder and still nothing, all I get is a bunch of error messages when I try to fun a script