DAZ Install Manager 1.0.1.59 Update

Comments

• atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited December 1969

atryeu said:
    3DAGE said:
    HI atryeu

I really feel for you,. ..

I think we all know what it can be like on Dial up,. but,. if you compare the download size of the "occasional" update to Dim,. with the file size of your average 3D product,. it's really quire small,.

If you compare it to genesis starter essentials, (around 400mb) it pales into insignificance.

DIM does NOT update every time you open it,.
    but it will tell you that there is a update available (when there is one) and it will automatically download it for you, and install it.

You can also choose to work (offline) with DIM,. to manage your files,. but you'll still need to go on-line to download your products, and that would trigger the DIM update download install process.

With internet Cafe's, with high speed broadband, and the availability of USB sticks, with multi GigaByte capacities.
    you can get a lot done, by going for a coffee and a sandwich :)

Hope it helps :)

I already know everything you said, I'm not new to Daz, DIM or the computer world. In most cases, yeah, programs don't update often, but it's the point. I don't want to be using the program and suddenly have it decide to start an update on me. If I'm opening the program it's to try and download a couple smaller files, which I never do anymore anyway. The day they put resume support in is the day I'll be more interested in using it.

The point is, NOTHING should ever force you to auto update. Doesn't matter what program it is, if it's Daz or not, NO program should ever force that on you. Chrome used to and I had to spend hours deleting and altering some of the files to prevent it from updating on me every week or two, which was also a 30mb file by the way. When your attempting to do something else online with dialup and you suddenly have something attempting to download something else without your permission, whatever you were doing at the time comes to a standstill. Pages don't load online, if you were downloading something else that tends to drop and generally you can't resume a download without a manager these days (and even then a lot of sites don't have resume support anymore).

As far as the area I live in is concerned, an internet "cafe" doesn't exist. There's a library, 2 towns over (30+ minutes drive) that has changed things to the point where you can't hardly use them anymore because some dumb kids had abused them.... not that they had "high speed access" anyway, the download speed, on a good day, was about 120kb/sec. Faster than dialup, but not fast enough to get anything over 100mb. My 2nd issue is that I have no transportation to get there even if I wanted to go. Even if I could get somewhere, all we really have in town is a few wi-fi hotspots with time limits and I lack any sort of device to connect and download with when I do have a ride to town.

So, as I was saying..... it's just the point. I could waste 3 hours to download the update (if it even lets me... I had to have a bit of outside help with it because Daz's servers since their "upgrade" don't like dialup and I can't hardly download a single thing from their site anymore without the downloads being dropped constantly). If I want to waste my time to get the update, I want to do it when I want, not whenever the program feels like it wants.

It doesn't force you to update, if you don't want to update, don't update. However only the current version is supposed to connect to the store. Primarily this is a security issue.

In the original message that's what it sounded like... I quoted the bit of text in my first message. It said when you open DIM, it would update automatically for you. You made it sound like a background update you have no control over.

If you can't connect on the old version anymore though, there's no point in using it at all I guess. I have no interest in the program unless resume support gets added. The file sizes now days are too big for dialup and it's my only option. My PC membership ended in March and I didn't renew so I don't have to worry about freebies or anything else anymore anyway I guess. I don't plan on buying anything until the PA sale (unless that sale is ruined like the PC one in October was too *cries*) and that will be my last purchase on the site in the foreseable future anymore, so there's not much point in me upgrading DIM either way I guess.

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

jerham said:
    DAZ said:
    jerham said:
    DAZ said:
    jerham said:
    Uninstall them. choose the files and under details make sure it has your proper path picked. It should then install to the correct place.

Thank you for the quick reply, manually uninstalled the new updates and manually reinstalled them with the right pathes selected. That solved it.

But i find it strange that content is being installed to a non existing folder (in DIM and DAZ). The Respective "installed"paths option makes it easier when updating with several folders. Could there be a issue with this in the new version and this option?

I haven't seen that. I'll have to discuss it with the programmers and see if it remembers the "Default" path even if you delete it.

Just figured it out what happened. This was/is not a DIM issue! But the person behind the computer....please forgive me ;-)

In short, originally i had my DAZ starter content in its default location. After buying a new hard-drive several months ago i did it the easy way and just moved the folder to the new drive and deleted/changed the paths from DIM and DAZ studio. According to DIM the Original path was still my library,

Sorry for the inconvenience...Thanks

• DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

Hmm.

When I installed the first DIM release and found it was putting its own folders and files in my Public Documents rather than where I wanted in My Documents, which is completely unacceptable to me, I promptly uninstalled DIM and wouldn't use it unless/until it was updated to abide by standards, keep its application data files in appdata and allow me to keep user files in My Documents.

I've watched the DIM changelog on and off and thought I saw changes some time back that would let me install DIM in an acceptable way, though no newer version after those changes became available.

Now there is this new version. But when I install, it's still unacceptably insisting on using Public Documents for folders of appdata and user files. There's an option during the install as to where to install the actual app to, but not where the app and user files should go - it's just barging into Public Documents again.

Please tell me I am missing something. Please tell me there's some way to get this program install to follow standards and standard security practices and use my user appdata and My Documents and not Public Documents.

Or do I just give up on any notion of ever using DIM?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited May 2013

DavidGB said:
    Hmm.

When I installed the first DIM release and found it was putting its own folders and files in my Public Documents rather than where I wanted in My Documents, which is completely unacceptable to me, I promptly uninstalled DIM and wouldn't use it unless/until it was updated to abide by standards, keep its application data files in appdata and allow me to keep user files in My Documents.

I've watched the DIM changelog on and off and thought I saw changes some time back that would let me install DIM in an acceptable way, though no newer version after those changes became available.

Now there is this new version. But when I install, it's still unacceptably insisting on using Public Documents for folders of appdata and user files. There's an option during the install as to where to install the actual app to, but not where the app and user files should go - it's just barging into Public Documents again.

Please tell me I am missing something. Please tell me there's some way to get this program install to follow standards and standard security practices and use my user appdata and My Documents and not Public Documents.

Or do I just give up on any notion of ever using DIM?

User account information, user-created filters, etc. are now in the users appdata folder. Location of the download folder is customizable. However, manifests and default filters are still in Public Documents.

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • DavidGBDavidGB Posts: 565
    edited December 1969

User account information, user-created filters, etc. are now in the users appdata folder. Location of the download folder is customizable. However, manifests and default filters are still in Public Documents.

Anything in Public is unacceptable to me, so I won't be reinstalling this version after the uninstall I did earlier after seeing it create things in Public. So is that due to change too - in which case I'll watch for future updates and keep checking the changelog - or not - in which case I'll give notions of DIM up as a bad job?

I really can't imagine why DAZ did this. I've got through a lot of software from XP through Windows 7, and not one, before this one, insisted on using Public Documents. A fair few where the installer offered a choice of Public or User install, but not one insisting on Public. Just totally bizarre.

• edited December 1969

Any way to install without this download manager? I just want to do it the old way.

edited December 1969

WildMan said:
    Any way to install without this download manager? I just want to do it the old way.

Yes, My Account > Product Library

• edited December 1969

WildMan said:

Yes, My Account > Product Library

Ah, thank you very much!

• edited December 1969

Every time I try to dl the 4.6 content it links me to the installer installation. I already have the installer and just want to download my copy of 4.6 pro. Why is it not coming up on the installer content?

edited December 1969

Every time I try to dl the 4.6 content it links me to the installer installation. I already have the installer and just want to download my copy of 4.6 pro. Why is it not coming up on the installer content?

Not everything is available in DIM yet, particularly software. For the application itself you currently need to download from My Account > Product Library.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Any chance of getting the dropdown list of install locations back on the install tab?

• Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited December 1969

Could someone explain what "Install Manager Default Filters" is?

I am using DIM to install and just noticed this item listed as a file to be installed. But no explanation as to what it is or where it should be installed.

I did install it to my default installation location, but don't see any difference to the DIM filters?

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

The default filters add a drop down to the search box in the upper right where you can filter by sku, date, etc. At least I believe that's what was added when I installed those.

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    Any chance of getting the dropdown list of install locations back on the install tab?

Check "Show Details" at the bottom right to get the dropdown list.

edited May 2013

Vaskania said:
    The default filters add a drop down to the search box in the upper right where you can filter by sku, date, etc. At least I believe that's what was added when I installed those.
    It doesn't install to where your content is. (If it did, that would be a bug.) Like plug-ins, and Non-Poser/non-DS Content it installs to where it needs to be. :) We are doing our best to take the guesswork out of things. :)

They are over on the search dropdown (The magnifying glass), and are some prebuilt searches to give you examples and ones that we found very useful during testing.

Post edited by DAZ_Spooky on
    edited December 1969

SimonJM said:

Ahah! There it is, thank you!

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    SimonJM said:

Ahah! There it is, thank you!Sorry about the change, but we felt it made more sense to do it that way since you can install from bioth the Install tab and the download tab. So it is out of the way when you don't need it :) which is roughly 60% of use cases. :)

edited December 1969

Change is not always for the best, but this is a good change, so don't apologise :)

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    Change is not always for the best, but this is a good change, so don't apologise :)
    I just don't like leaving customers looking for basic functions. :) Even if it only moved from the initial Beta. :)
  • woody2woody2 Posts: 90
    edited December 1969

can any one tell me why I keep getting the error message " unable to login to the specified account. verify the email and or the password and try again. I have check and recheck the password and email to no avail . it use to work. I tried to re install the program and it still will not work. what gives here. any ideas what it is.

Thanks

woody2

edited December 1969

woody2 said:
    can any one tell me why I keep getting the error message " unable to login to the specified account. verify the email and or the password and try again. I have check and recheck the password and email to no avail . it use to work. I tried to re install the program and it still will not work. what gives here. any ideas what it is.

Thanks

woody2

Is this with a saved password, or typing it in fresh?

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,560
    edited December 1969

...I've never had the Install manager ever remember my password.

• woody2woody2 Posts: 90
    edited December 1969

Fixmypc
    It is typed in each time can't get it to same the password.

Woody2

edited December 1969

Do you have any nonstandard characters in your email address?

edited December 1969

...that happened to me. The first time I opened it already had my username in the login field but the "@" character in the email addy was substituted with an "a".

If that is the case, All you need to do is click "add another account" and type the name correct format and enter your password. It should remember the new name after that.

• Martin_CMartin_C Posts: 164
    edited December 1969

It happens to me whenever my router has timed out and disconnected the DSL line. If I try to start DIM then it initially fails - obviously because it is "too fast", the first try just triggers the router to log in again, but then the connection already failed.

However, the annoying aspect is that DIM seems to cache this somehow, so even a quit/relaunch cycle doesn't solve it. I need to tell the router manually to re-connect again (to get a new IP) and then it works.

DIM seems to store the current IP somehow, and if it failed once it doesn't really force-try again until it is a new one.

edited December 1969

Do you have any nonstandard characters in your email address?
    Fixed in the current release version.
    edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    I just don't like leaving customers looking for basic functions. :) Even if it only moved from the initial Beta. :)

Nothing says 'sorry' like a cheque in the post ... ;)

edited December 1969

...OK successfully updated the DIM, opened it once created an Excel .csv file. Closed it and then looked at eh spreadsheet to find it still had duplicate product entries for anything that that had a "CF" in the name (e.g. "2007 AM Limo", and "2007 AM Lomo CF")

Reopened the DIM to see if there was a filter I forgot to uncheck and lo & behold it corrupted my username (the one I had to create a "new" account for lat time this happened to open it in the previous release) once again substituting the letter "a" for the "@" in the email addy. Now I know for darn well I didn't change the username when I logged on (now) fifteen minutes ago as the proper name format came up the first time and all I needed to enter was the password.

So something is still buggy with how it saves the username. Now I have to create yet another (third) account to fix this again. This keeps up, I'll have an account list with a bunch of useless usernames longer than my screen can display.

DIM_error.jpg
    659 x 536 - 133K
    edited December 1969

KK, please open a support ticket, choosing DAZ Install Manager as the application. That bug was fixed as far as I know.