Organizing Help

StuieStuie Posts: 58
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I know this is an old and many repeated subject, but I can't locate the answer I need after hours of searching the forums. Yes, I'm a long time user but I never really considered properly organizing my content until I got a new computer. Here's the deal. I have a rather old version of Poser 4 on my old computer and have just used that to unzip my content to. After getting my new computer, I really don't want to have the big composite of unorganized runtime data on it.

My question is this; since I don't have D|S installed, what is the best way to label and organize my Poser downloads that will give me a clearer organized content. Take for example my collection of animals. I have a lot of different types that I want to be able to see in my Carrara program instead of searching endlessly for the right product name. Would this work?

C:\Content\Animals\Land\Runtime...
C:\Content\Animals\Bird\Runtime...
C:\Content\Animals\Dino\Runtime...
C:\Content\Animals\Water\Runtime...
etc.

And Props is another big one. Is this how I would do it?

C:\Content\Props\Landscape\Runtime...
C:\Content\Props\Buildings\Runtime...
C:\Content\Props\Weapons\Runtime...
etc.

I remember seeing something about this in the forum but can't for the life of me locate it. Of course it might have been before the update, but still can't locate it. My big question is the actual filing structure. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Stuie

Comments

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Looks fine.
    You can also organize in top folders, as in animals/runtime/figures/ dino, fantasy, mammal, ect.
    I had to do this with V4's poses folder. v4/runtime/poses/ mats, characters, poses.
    But for easy of install it would be V4/poses/runtime, clothes/runtime, assories/runtime, figures ect.
    I don't mind folder diving so sort in the folders.

It's really how you find it easiest.

• StuieStuie Posts: 58
    edited May 2013

Okay, I'm still not getting something right. The first picture you see shows how I'm setting up my content on my disc. As you can see, the main folder is called Content with the subfolders broken down into different categories.

When I add the runtime into C8 Pro, all I see is the item and not category in which I put it into. How do I set it up so that the different categories are seen in the content like it was when I was using the Poser folder in my old computer? In other words, I would like it to show Architecture in the C8 content, and in that the different buildings that I have.

Content.jpg
    813 x 214 - 31K
    Folder.jpg
    835 x 269 - 41K
    Post edited by Stuie on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Stuie :)

Carrara uses the Main folder you select,. (which contains the Ru8ntime folder)
    So,. If you had C:/ Poser 8 / Runtime
    you would select the main Poser 8 folder,. and in Carrara's browser, you would see it listed as "Poser 8 Runtime".

In your screen shot,. Backstreets in the main folder which contains the Runtime folder, which in turn, contains the Libraries (Figures / Hair / Props / Poses) etc..

Hope it helps :)

edited May 2013

So what you're saying is that I should structure it on my hard drive like this;

C:/Content/Architecture/(Product Runtime)

in order for the Carrara browser to display Architecture/Backstreet (or whatever product).

Also, is it okay to delete the Content subfolder next to the Runtime subfolder since I don't have DAZ Studio on the computer? I might as well try to conserve space from the get go.

Post edited by Stuie on
    edited December 1969

The (Main folder) ,. which contains the "Runtime" folder,. will be the one you should select in Carrara, and the name of that (Main Folder) will be the name displayed in the Carrara browser,.

for example: if you have a folder called "Architecture",. and a "Runtime" folder within that,. to hold all your building props,.
    then you would select (Add Runtime),. Browse to the Architecture folder, and select it.

Carrara will identify the "runtime" folder, within your "Architectural" folder, and display it in the browser as : (Architecture Runtime)
    when you expand that, you should see all the standard Poser library categories, such as Figure, Face, Poses hair etc.

What name you give to the Main Folders, is your choice,.

If you're not using Daz Studio,. and you're not installing any products built for Daz Studio,. then you don't need a content folder.
    If you do install a product built for Daz Studio,. then it will create it's own folder structure, and will normally install into your "Daz3D Library" by default, as the Daz Studio "Content" folder has been replaced. (since DS4)

One, question,. are you doing this using DIM (Daz3D Install Manager) to do this ?

edited May 2013

No, I'm not using the DIM. And thanks for the info. Things are getting a bit more organized now.

Post edited by Stuie on
    edited December 1969

DIM will make the process much easier,. and much faster, with only a few clicks, instead of five or six clicks per product,,.
    You can deal with a selected bunch of products,. and install them with a single click.

The same applies to uninstalling or moving products from one runtime location to another.

Filter products by type, or name, or date, ..or customise the filters yourself.
    Select all of those products with a single Click,.
    Install them to a specific folder of your choice, or use the default folders for those products..

:)

edited December 1969

Does that mean that I have to install D|S?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Stuie said:
    Does that mean that I have to install D|S?

No, DIM is independent of DS. You can even filter out the DS-only downloads.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219
    edited December 1969

Instead of using:

Stuie said:

C:\Content\Animals\Land\Runtime...
    C:\Content\Animals\Bird\Runtime...
    C:\Content\Animals\Dino\Runtime...
    C:\Content\Animals\Water\Runtime...
    etc.

Use:
    C:\Content\Animals: Land\Runtime...
    C:\Content\Animals: Bird\Runtime...
    C:\Content\Animals: Dino\Runtime...
    C:\Content\Animals: Water\Runtime...
    etc.

You can even change the names you've already made of the actual folder that contains the "Runtime" folder, and then add that to Carrara (and/or Poser, etc.,) without reinstalling anything. Like the "Land" folder under Animals\Land, change that to "Animals: Land" and drag it into your "Content" folder, and delete the folder you've just bypassed - after it's empty, of course!:)

Okay, back to bed.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219
    edited December 1969

I have done a fair bit of write-up on the subject, including using the DIM to get there, in my First Few Walkthrough Articles, within my Carrara Information Manual thread, that nobody sends anybody to - so I'm not sure how good the info in it is...

But perhaps it'll shed some illumination for you.

edited December 1969

DIM is Daz3D's Download and Install Manager,. It will eventually be used to Download, Install, and Manage all your Daz3D products.

But, it's not part of Daz Studio,

If you only use Carrara, you can still use DIM to download and install your Carrara products, like scene's shaders, lights, or Plug-ins.

When support is added for Applications, it'll also allow you to download and install Carrara, Bryce, Daz Studio, Hexagon, and all other products from your Daz account.

Dim will also allow you to see a list of any product's (installed files) with a right click, and select "installed files" from the menu. and the list of installed files also links directly to the folder those files are in, so by clicking on any file in the list, Dim will open that folder.

It's easy to use,. and very customisable.

edited December 1969

Thanks so much everyone, I appreciate the help. By the way, does anyone know where the uninstallers are for the content I add to the computer are hidden?

edited December 1969

The uninstallers (on Windows systems) should be added to the Start menu / all programs / Daz3D / installed Content

it's probably better to open that folder using the windows browser, so that you can see all the uninstallers.

Good luck :)