3Delight v Luxrender

Rayman29Rayman29 Posts: 0
edited June 2012 in Art Studio

Lux can give great realism, but does not use the remarkably flexible shader system Daz uses in 3Delight.

A good 3 point light light or Uberenvironment setup can be highly realistic too,

1st is a 3 point setup in 3Delight.
2nd is a Uberenviroment setup in GI mode with a light plane an distant specular light.
3rd is a 34 Mb ibl in Lux.
4th is a 20.Mb ibl in Lux.

Images remove for nudity. Please refer to this for details. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6_2/

Post edited by frank0314 on

Comments

• Rayman29Rayman29 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The main difference between Lux/3Delight seems to be lux's ability to simulate refracted light.

Tidal_causeway_sized.jpg
    630 x 1944 - 258K
  • StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

3Delight and LuxRender are two very different rendering systems (Biased and Non Biased respectively) and Studio was conceptually designed to take advantage of 3Delights rendering engine albeit a version that is limited in it's functionality for Studio users for the sake of simplicity. Any LuxRender shader manipulation for an object in Daz Studio needs to be provided by either Reality (www.preta3d.com) or by the LuxRenderDS plugin (formally on these forms), both of these plugins provide the means to modify a surface to be used effectively in LuxRender since Daz Studio does not easily provide this flexibility. Many of the shaders for Studio are required to provide results that are readily available in LuxRender, Additionally Lighting in LuxRender is based on physics where lighting in 3delight is not. Getting effective lighting in LuxRender can be much more intuitive for many users. In addition to Luxrender and 3Delight there is also POVRender and Octane functionality for Daz Studio from 3rd party developers.

edited December 1969

I agree with you. I am speaking specifically about Daz and its implementation of 3Delight, and Lux via Reality.

3Delight can be very good with a little know how. A Lux can be extremely good. Both have their limitations when using Daz.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

I should have said before but I didn't disagree with your first post, just included my own experiences. I still use 3Delight quite often and was one of the early adopters of the export to .RIB option when my Core2Duo was the most powerful system in my arsenal, I only wish Daz could apply that licence to use all cores in the host computer with some kind of proprietary filetype that would work in 3Delight standalone. I was an early adopter of Reality when it came out as well. my own experience was that for years on 3Delight in Studio lighting was a lot of trial and error, and LuxRender was very straightforward in comparison when it came to lighting. LuxRender had the ability to effectively work with a "postwork" mentality while I was rendering, now if only they would allow me to adjust the lights while I was rendering, though that might get dicey when shadows come into play. I've seen what's possible in 3Delight, it's amazing but I don't think Studio has tapped into it they way it could.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

That would be a great feature, you do mean move the lights in Lux not just adjust them correct?

edited December 1969

Nether is clear, it really depends on your own priority's.
    Do we want absolute realism in all features of DAZ Studio.
    Its not possible.
    Do we want Lux to use Daz shaders.
    Its not possible.

"Everything in its right place"

edited December 1969

"Images remove for nudity"

Gosh, I censored them too.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,668
    edited December 1969

Rayman29 said:

Censoring isn't enough - the image has to show clothes or actual scene elements obscuring the breasts (for females) and genitals, not black bars or dots or the like added later.

edited December 1969

I should have said before but I didn't disagree with your first post, just included my own experiences. I still use 3Delight quite often and was one of the early adopters of the export to .RIB option when my Core2Duo was the most powerful system in my arsenal, I only wish Daz could apply that licence to use all cores in the host computer with some kind of proprietary filetype that would work in 3Delight standalone. I was an early adopter of Reality when it came out as well. my own experience was that for years on 3Delight in Studio lighting was a lot of trial and error, and LuxRender was very straightforward in comparison when it came to lighting. LuxRender had the ability to effectively work with a "postwork" mentality while I was rendering, now if only they would allow me to adjust the lights while I was rendering, though that might get dicey when shadows come into play. I've seen what's possible in 3Delight, it's amazing but I don't think Studio has tapped into it they way it could.

Man thats so, testing on a Duo with 3Delight was like eating rice pudding with a straw.
    But now we have 8 core systems, and more, its not such a problem.
    I've waited hours on a scene that would now take a few minuets

edited December 1969

Rayman29 said:

Censoring isn't enough - the image has to show clothes or actual scene elements obscuring the breasts (for females) and genitals, not black bars or dots or the like added later.

Apparently so, both images where posted here previously.
    But I'm not bothered with such. They were examples of lighting, Not beaver shots.
    I give up.

edited December 1969

And that leaves me wondering, who the fuqk do you answer to?

edited December 1969

well thats clear.
    SORRY TO POINT IT OUT.........

edited December 1969

They were posted before in a thread that had a NUDITY flag so people who did not wish to see nudity or were too young to see nudity did not stumble across it. The forums do not have flags at this time. It was posted in the TOS when these new Forums started that we could not post images like that untill we had flags again. It is part of the Terms of use in the forums right now. You are just being asked to please follow those terms. I dont let it bother me, I can not post about 50% of my old stuff. When the flags come back I will post my stuff and only the people who wish to see it or are old enough to see it will be able to see it.

edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    They were posted before in a thread that had a NUDITY flag so people who did not wish to see nudity or were too young to see nudity did not stumble across it. The forums do not have flags at this time. It was posted in the TOS when these new Forums started that we could not post images like that untill we had flags again. It is part of the Terms of use in the forums right now. You are just being asked to please follow those terms. I dont let it bother me, I can not post about 50% of my old stuff. When the flags come back I will post my stuff and only the people who wish to see it or are old enough to see it will be able to see it.

Ok, Thakns, I will.
    I however do not live in US. So my approach may appear insane/evil.

edited December 1969

Nothing to worry about. You are not the first to do it and I'm sure you will not be the last. We do have to follow the rules though. I miss the old site but I will live untill this one will let us get back to normal.

edited December 1969

Thanks, but I still give up.