Started render, 8 hours later, still optimizing?!

spswaffordspswafford Posts: 179
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I was curious about the changes to the render engine in 4.6 so I opened an older project and started the render process. In 4.5 it would take about an hour or so to render the image. With 4.6 I started the render, it said "optimizing". After 5 minutes and still no sign of progress I went to bed. Woke up this morning and went to check my email (forgot about the render). When the screen came on I saw DS and it was still optimizing?! I stopped it. I noticed before the pop-up window went away there were some additional notes to the log, but I could not read them before it closed.

Is there something I need to do in 4.6 before I render any more, so that renders take less than 2 hours?

Thanks,
Stefan

Comments

• ReDaveReDave Posts: 815
    edited December 1969

No, but that bug comes and goes with versions and local issues. Usually you can stop render switch to OpenGL, render stop the latter (or wait it out) then restart the 3Delight render. It's not a guaranteed fix, but it helps sometimes.

• sfaa69sfaa69 Posts: 353
    edited December 1969

I encountered that problem in 4.5 yesterday. I had rendered in Lux, then switched back to 3delight to render again and it just got stuck on optimizing. I had to quit the program and restart and then it worked with no problem.

• spswaffordspswafford Posts: 179
    edited December 1969

Is it something that might be caused from doing an upgrade vs clean install of 4.6?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited May 2013

@sfaa69: It is more likely a problem of TDLmake thinking the textures in ram are still the default DS loaded textures.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

sfaa69 said:
    I encountered that problem in 4.5 yesterday. I had rendered in Lux, then switched back to 3delight to render again and it just got stuck on optimizing. I had to quit the program and restart and then it worked with no problem.

This problem has been noticed by several people and is a bug whether its being dealt with I cannot say, from you say its not fixed in this version.

I usually find that a restart of DS solves the optimising freeze problem; personally I think its a memory problem as it only seems to happen, from I've observed, when I've been doing a lot and had DS open for a long time.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,844
    edited December 1969

The problem is that DS only uses the JPG/PNG/TIFF textures in the viewport and with the OpenGL render engine, with 3Delight it all has to be converted to the TDL format, which is a mip-mapped TIFF format, with a lot of files to convert TDLMake will have an instance running for every core you have until it's finished, so if something else on you computer decides it wants to use a core at the same time as TDLMake then optimizing can stall indefinitely, when that happens it's a case of cancel the render and try again.

This usually only happens after loading a scene, as for whatever reason DS doesn't run TDLMake as the scene is loading like it does when your loading content normally, it only runs it when you hit render.

I should add that if your using Gamma Correction in 4.6 then your textures will get "optimized" at render time in any case.

• spswaffordspswafford Posts: 179
    edited December 1969

Per ReDave's suggestion I tried to do the render with Open GL, but it crashed DS (I have ticket open in Mantis with the bug report that was generated). I reopened DS and loaded the scene again and was able to render it (in 3Delight). Render time was about the same as it was in 4.5 for the same scene.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

I get this once in a blue moon, the failsafe is save the file, quit studio, open studio, reload the file, render - SHAZAM!
    This has been an issue with maketdl.dll for as long as studio has intergrated with 3Delight but while the workaround is annoying it is a valid workaround.

• reelyorreelyor Posts: 235
    edited December 1969

I get this once in a blue moon, the failsafe is save the file, quit studio, open studio, reload the file, render - SHAZAM!
    This has been an issue with maketdl.dll for as long as studio has intergrated with 3Delight but while the workaround is annoying it is a valid workaround.

Works for me as well.

Learned to live with it. Fortunately, I haven't experienced it lately with 4.5 and 4.6