Subsurface Shaders... WOW!

Comments

• JabbaJabba Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

A couple of other things to check (although I don't know if would affect scene as much as you're getting)...
    is the 'flip normal' option set the way you want it
    is the pre SSS - post SSS set up the way you want it

I know these will give different results (e.g. set to post SSS with usually darken surface), but not sure they would change white to black, that sounds a bit extreme.

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited May 2013

Slide3D said:
    my pics in 4.6 with new base SSS shader

Very nice! Good job!!

Post edited by Kevin Sanderson on
  • SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Played with toon shaders and Sam. This one is called "The Crush"

Plastic shader on the chair and desk, gummy on his hair.

The_Crush.png
    800 x 1000 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Here's a basic example of using Subsurface Gummy Shader for 'bleeding'...

Bleeding_Fun.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 435K
    edited May 2013

Here's gummy bleed applied to a scene (sphere inserted into Genesis chest as per example with primitives above)...

Burning_Heart_scene_render.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 486K
    Post edited by Jabba on
    edited December 1969

And just for completion, here's the same scene after a bit of postwork (unashamed repost!)...

Burning_Heart.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 461K
  • Laticis ImageryLaticis Imagery Posts: 439
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:

This is a very good render Slosh, well done.

• evilded777evilded777 Posts: 2,440
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    I do have one disappointment: specular. Please, please, please, reconsider redoing the specular and allowing the user to choose what specular model is employed in EITHER channel. Human skin requires two specular layers, and I'm sorry but a second layer phong is not going to cut it.

Limitation of the Shader Mixer, all of the "buttons" at the bottom of a brick are internal SM code only and never appear in the Surfaces tab, so the only way to change them is in the Shader Mixer.

Um, pwSurface allows us to choose a specular model.

pwSurface isn't a Shader Mixer shader, it's written in RSL and compiled. That's why it can have real On/Off switches instead of a 0 to 1 slider too.

Thanks Richard. I did not realize this shader was built with Shader Mixer, did I miss something about this? Regardless, it is an impressive shader and shows what can be done just with the tools available and no outside programming environment. Even more cudos to AoA.

edited December 1969

Slosh said:

I like the lighting and pose! Good job!!

edited December 1969

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I really hope you enjoy the shader and presets.

I wasn't expecting these to be released today or I would have replied earlier. Last I heard from DAZ was "Soon" so I was expecting some time next year haha. I joke... DAZ has really improved about getting things done.

My sincerest thanks to everyone for your support,

William

William, great job on the shaders! I can't wait to play with them! I also am still hoping your ocean plugin is coming. It seems to have been on hold for a long time.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

Jabba101 said:
    And just for completion, here's the same scene after a bit of postwork (unashamed repost!)...

I hope this puts to rest the postwork/no postwork rivalry once and for all. nice work. Now if I can only find a step by step of how to get SSS to work for thick headed dumbkoffs (read:me) I'll be all set.

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,778
    edited May 2013

Big WOW from me, too. These shaders looks great and it is so much fun to use them.
    Simply the best shaders, ever. Rendered in Daz Studio Pro 4.6. No postwork.
    One distant light with raytraced shadows was used to enlighten the scene.

Rhino15pic01.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 439K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

I haven't used SSS much, so can anyone tell me what sort of lighting is best please for these new shaders.

• SedorSedor Posts: 1,764
    edited May 2013

My first render with the Gummy shaders applied at the Floor and clothes, also with the SSS shader at her skin (just playing with the settings for the skin...)

All surfaces are set to the same group, wanted to see the bleeding :D

2013-05-18_GummyFloor_web.jpg
    1125 x 1500 - 295K
    Post edited by Sedor on
  • PhloxPhlox Posts: 95
    edited December 1969

Nice sedor - the bleeding creates some nice effects. :)

I threw lots of things into the melting pot here. Love the shaders.

shiny2sml.jpg
    1400 x 1356 - 667K
  • SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

Slide3D said:
    Luxus very good translated this shader ! :)

:gulp:

No way! Can you show an example please? I would be very interested. Never thought it possible.

• reelyorreelyor Posts: 235
    edited December 1969

Beautiful images here!!
    I am playing around with this shader. I am a fan of Uber Env.2. So a question arises in my mind...
    What are the best lights to use with this - the default DAZ lights or Uber Env. or other Uber derivative?
    I am about to purchase one or more of the shader packs, after seeing these images. I have been trying to learn and see the "what happens if" of the basic SSS pack that is free. I'll admit I'm not sure what I'm looking for.
    Any help is appreciated as always,

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

...I have to wait to download 4.6 again as there must have been a connection reset during the process which corrupted the installer. One of the perils of downloading such large files when you have poor connectivity.

• KinichKinich Posts: 857
    edited April 2014

Holy Plasma Beams Batman!

Been playing with these shaders, mostly for the toon skin shaders for a project I've been playing with for a while but I decided to try something else with the Gummy shader.

For your information this is what I did.

Used the basic (free) SSS shader on the Laser Pistol (, note DS loads the normal map into the bump setting so I disable this and load the normal map into the correct place, also changed the UV settings to Metallic from Plastic), used the 'ctrl' click method when loading the shader telling DS to ignore the images ('cmd' & click on a Mac I believe), activated the shader and checked the Group ID for reference. This leaves the gun looking as normal but allows it to accept the colour bleed from the laser beam.

Next created a primitive cylinder, scales & aligned it with the Laser Pistol Barrel, used the Orange Gummy Shader on it and then adjusted the settings a bit to get the glow & bleed into the gun.

Shading Scale up to 15
    Group ID to match the Pistol (to enable the colour bleed)

Ambient settings:
    Colour set to orange
    SSS Contribution set to 700%
    Ambient Strength to 50%

Note: lighting is one of Dimension Theory's Cloud 9 Sets which consists of an uberenvironment sphere (also creates the background) & a raytraced distant light.

Laser-SSS-01.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 278K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Age of ArmourAge of Armour Posts: 437
    edited December 1969

Doh! I can't believe I wasn't getting notifications. I guess I accidentally clicked the unsubscribe link rather than the view topic link in the email.

Great work everyone! I' really happy to see that people are enjoying the shader.

I have company stopping by this weekend so this will be a short reply but I wanted everyone to know how much I am enjoying your artwork.

Oh, one important thing I saw mentioned which is bound to cause confusion... don't remember if I covered this in the documentation but the shading rate, scale and IOR should be set the same for every surface that shares the same group ID. All the other settings should be okay to be set differently.

That is the likely cause of the noise or stripe artifacts some were mentioning a few pages back. What happens is that the renderer treats everything in one group ID as one object. If one of the materials in the group uses a different shading rate or scale, the renderer gets a bit confused. "Ummm... so you are telling me this model is both 6 feet tall and it is also 6 inches tall?" hehe.

What happens is that the renderer picks one of the surfaces (first one it reads or maybe at random?) and simply uses the settings from it for everything. So, if you maybe dial in everything on the skin but later on decide to change one surface like the lips or something but forget to match the shading rate, the render might use the lip's low settings giving the whole object a noisy look.

Adding geografted items or additional figures is a likely time that this gets overlooked.

I hope that helps. Keep up the great work everyone!

• Laticis ImageryLaticis Imagery Posts: 439
    edited May 2013
    my_plastic_flower_by_laticis.jpg
    703 x 1137 - 90K
    Post edited by Laticis Imagery on
  • Slide3DSlide3D Posts: 194
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    Slide3D said:
    Luxus very good translated this shader ! :)

:gulp:

No way! Can you show an example please? I would be very interested. Never thought it possible.

I do not know which type is translated this shader in Lux
    but SLG gives error message: " SLGRenderer supports only Matte, Mirror, Glass, Glass2, Metal, MatteTranslucent, Null, Mix, Glossy2, Metal2 and RoughGlass material (i.e. not class lux::GlossyTranslucent). Replacing an unsupported material with matte."
    it seems that this shader is translated as GlossyTranslucent ?

new base SSS shader dont any setup mats for Luxrender only export with Luxus

d54.jpg
    518 x 920 - 161K
  • Type 0 NegativeType 0 Negative Posts: 323
    edited December 1969

Artini said:
    Big WOW from me, too. These shaders looks great and it is so much fun to use them.
    Simply the best shaders, ever. Rendered in Daz Studio Pro 4.6. No postwork.
    One distant light with raytraced shadows was used to enlighten the scene.

What was your render time please?
    Really neat stuff happening here in this thread!

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

Old 4.5 render compared to 4.6 render with Subsurface Shader applied to skin. The skin came out a bit pink, but I'm still in the experimental stage. :)
    Lighting setups and other settings are identical. I like the way the light on the skin shows back-scatter..

Superman_4.6_.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 237K
    Superman_2.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 236K
  • DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,490
    edited December 1969

hmm. I'm getting weird artifacts on the skin using the skin 1 or skin 2 settings. :(

Anyone know why????? :'( Otherwise is gorgeous but the weirdness is weird enough to ruin the image!!

SkinIssues.jpg
    656 x 549 - 275K
  • farkrisfarkris Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

These look fantastic. Has anyone seen how they go with Reality?

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited December 1969

hmm. I'm getting weird artifacts on the skin using the skin 1 or skin 2 settings. :(

Anyone know why????? :'( Otherwise is gorgeous but the weirdness is weird enough to ruin the image!!

i'm getting the same thing too.

edited December 1969

plus, Beloveddalia, I really like the eyes in that. What did you use on that?

• DisparateDreamerDisparateDreamer Posts: 2,490
    edited December 1969

the eyes come with the texture but the main thing is that I'm using project Eyeris on it :) Looks amazing doesn't it???
    now if only the skin shader wasn't having those weird issues!!

edited December 1969

the eyes come with the texture but the main thing is that I'm using project Eyeris on it :) Looks amazing doesn't it???
    now if only the skin shader wasn't having those weird issues!!

whoa, I need to get that Eyeris then. LOL.

And yep, I'm having hte same issues iwth the skin on Skin 1 and 2. I'm wondering if it's the lighting.