i dont see new render quality in 4.6.

Noved1Noved1 Posts: 160
edited May 2013 in New Users

hello, sorry if this is a naive question, but i just upgraded to 4.6, and in the description it says "new render engine", and yet when i take my old scene files and then render them, they look exactly the same as in 4.5. as you can see here in these quick example pics. the one on top is rendered in daz 4.5, the last one is in daz 4.6 is there something i am not doing right? or something i am missing? i somewhat thought render quality would improve or something with new versions, maybe thats further in the future though?

Post edited by Noved1 on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,810
    edited December 1969

It's an updated version of 3Delight. it should be a bit faster, at least (depending on what you compare it with) and should have bug fixes. It wasn't an ideal way to describe the change, I think, as a lot of people would expect it to mean a new renderer rather than a new version of the existing renderer.

• Noved1Noved1 Posts: 160
    edited May 2013

oh. well any improvements are good ones i suppose, do you know what bugs were fixed? or of any other changes i might see to renders?

Post edited by Noved1 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,810
    edited December 1969

If you look at the 3Delight site and compare the versions from the old and new DS that should give an indication of what has changed.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited May 2013

Some of the information about DS4.6 has touted "increased realism." My understanding is that this is a function of the new subsurface shader--it allows for more realistic skin (edited to add: and some other types of material too). Like anything else, though, to see the results you have to have a good understanding of how to use the tools, and since this is a new tool everyone is still figuring it out. I have seen some rather impressive renders, though (edited for clarification: impressive renders from other users, that is! I haven't had a chance to try it out yet myself). There's a user guide available here: http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/16324/16324_subsurface-shader-base.pdf

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

You may want to check the Render Settings, mine where all reset from my usual settings and the Shading Rate was set at 2.00 where it should be set to .20

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited May 2013

It's an updated version of 3Delight. it should be a bit faster, at least (depending on what you compare it with) and should have bug fixes. It wasn't an ideal way to describe the change, I think, as a lot of people would expect it to mean a new renderer rather than a new version of the existing renderer.

I have run a few tests. A test scene I have been working on that took about 18 min to render in 4.5, renders is 14 min in 4.6.

I also re-render the biggest scene I have have rendered. It seemed to render faster than I remembered. It took 2 hr and 24 min on 4.6. As I remember it was over 3 hours on 4.5.

Memory usage rendering that big scene also appears to be similar, around 14 GB of RAM for DAZ process, 15 GB total system.

Post edited by mark128 on
  • edited December 1969

Personally I notice faster animation speed maybe it's just me,however
    scenes that use to take an hour are down to about 15- 20 minutes.