OctaneRender DS - render collection

Andrey PestryakovAndrey Pestryakov Posts: 172
edited April 2013 in Art Studio

I worked with this plugin, I was very impressed with the result. It surprised me, and the speed and quality. If you have a picture taken with this plugin for DAZ Studio or Poser, please add them with a description of your system and the rendering time of the image.

Post edited by Andrey Pestryakov on

Comments

• Andrey PestryakovAndrey Pestryakov Posts: 172
    edited April 2013

I'll start with the rendering of its scenes. My system i7-3770K, gtxTitan.
    Forest Winter. Average time to render - 7 minutes. Resolution 1920x1080.

Octane-FW-02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Octane-FW-00.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Octane-FW-01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Octane-FW-03.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    edited April 2013

Forest Superior. Average time to render - 35-45 minutes. Resolution 1920x1080.

Octane-FS-04.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 932K
    Octane-FS-03.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 898K
    Octane-FS-02.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 901K
    Octane-FS-01.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 895K
    Octane-FS-00.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 778K
    edited December 1969

and continue with one picture.

Octane-FS-05.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 785K
  • Notch3565Notch3565 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

thats really beautiful, wish octane supported Radeon's too. i wonder if there is any alternative to octane with such benefits (faster rendering)

edited December 1969

Notch3565 said:
    thats really beautiful, wish octane supported Radeon's too. i wonder if there is any alternative to octane with such benefits (faster rendering)

Yes, Radeon not supported. I had to replace the Sapphire HD 7950.
    I think that at the moment there is no alternative to render for DAZ Studio with such quality and speed.
  • linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,326
    edited April 2013

Andrey, those images look absolutely stunning.

Did you use any Octane live DB materials for the water, trees, plants or is everything based on the original textures?

I love the reflections in the water.

Which render kernel did you use Direct Lighting, Path Tracing or PMC?

For non octane users this may help as reference:

Direct Lighting is used for faster preview rendering. Direct Lighting is not unbiased but is useful when creating quick animations or renders.

- - -

Path Tracing is best used for realistic results (together with PMC). The render times are higher than Direct Lighting but the results can be photorealistic. It can have some difficulties with small light sources and proper caustics (for which pmc is better suited).

- - -

PMC is a custom mutating unbiased kernel written for GPUs. It allows for complex caustics and lighting to be resolved.

- - -

Post edited by linvanchene on
    edited December 1969

Andrey, those images look absolutely stunning.

Did you use any Octane live DB materials for the water, trees, plants or is everything based on the original textures?

I love the reflections in the water.

Which render kernel did you use Direct Lighting, Path Tracing or PMC?

I quickly set the stage for the renderer. I changed the setting of the water material and for the stone material added speculare. Also configured light in the plugin OctaneRender.
    I used directlighting.
  • wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

haysus those are almost perfectly photoreal!

edited April 2013

The idea on this render was to test the HDR Texture Environment.

The .hdr presets included are awesome and yielded some great results.
    Nevertheless I wanted to try to create a .hdr skydome with e-on vue and use that to light the scene and as background at the same time.

"Deacon - The Folly of Hearts"

Rendered with OctaneRender for DAZ Studio.
    Kernel: PMC
    Lights: Default HDR Texture Environment.
    A spherical 360 skydome .hdr created in e-on vue was used to light the scene.
    Render Time: 1h 57min for 4000 samples at 1920x1080.
    Win 8 Pro 64bit | Asus GTX660 Ti DCII OC, 2048MB GDDR5, 6008/967 MHz | AMD Phenom II X6 2.8GHz | 16 GB RAM

Final Image without any postproduction.

PA licensed content:
    Deacon, Jack of Hearts, Curator Aquarum / The Folly, [...].
    - - -

link to image on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151609080768899&set=a.10150326306703899.388422.169292668898&type=1&theater;
    - - -

linvanoak_The_Folly_of_Hearts_v1005.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 227K
    edited December 1969

The idea on this render was to test the HDR Texture Environment.

The .hdr presets included are awesome and yielded some great results.
    Nevertheless I wanted to try to create a .hdr skydome with e-on vue and use that to light the scene and as background at the same time.

"Deacon - The Folly of Hearts"

Lights: Default HDR Texture Environment.
    A spherical 360 skydome .hdr created in e-on vue was used to light the scene.
    Render Time: 1h 57min for 4000 samples at 1920x1080.
    Win 8 Pro 64bit | Asus GTX660 Ti DCII OC, 2048MB GDDR5, 6008/967 MHz | AMD Phenom II X6 2.8GHz | 16 GB RAM

Final Image without any postproduction.

PA licensed content:
    Deacon, Jack of Hearts, Curator Aquarum / The Folly, [...].
    - - -

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151609080768899&set=a.10150326306703899.388422.169292668898&type=1&theater;
    - - -

Excellent render, cool character. You are good using a variety of facilities and other programs. In this respect, I have all the easier :)
    By the way, GTX660 Ti made ​​a quick render on 4,000 samples in PMC.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,984
    edited April 2013

Installed the OctaneRender 1.1 demo for Windows to try it out. Exported a scene in OBJ format with textures and imported into OctaneRender. It was a fairly simple process considering I didn't use the Daz Octane Render plugin. Used the built in Daylight System for this test render.

What sets OctaneRender apart from LuxRender besides the speed, due to GPU rendering, is that you can change the camera view and manipulate the materials while the image is rendering. One drawback is with a single GPU, the display is "sluggish" while rendering, but the docs say if your system supports two GPU's you can dedicate one to rendering and one for the display. Since the demo is save disabled, captured a screen grab and included the status bar for those interested.

"Snoozing Test"

Rendered with OctaneRender 1.1 Demo for Windows
    Lights: Built in Float3DaylightSystem
    Render Time: 00:13:12 for 4000 samples at 1000x600 (demo size limitation).
    Win 8 Pro 64bit | GeForce GT640, 3071MB DDR3 | Intel i7-3930K 3.2 GHz | 16 GB RAM

Snooze_Test.jpg
    1138 x 659 - 123K
    Post edited by Lindsey on
    edited April 2013

Lindsey said:
    One drawback is with a single GPU, the display is "sluggish" while rendering, but the docs say if your system supports two GPU's you can dedicate one to rendering and one for the display.

Luckily in some of the next updates they will included the option to assign even on single GPU how much of it will be used for the display and how much for rendering.

How to get almost realtime viewports on single GPU systems:

- Use the "Direct Light" Kernel for previews.
    - Set the render size lower while still working on the scene. (1280x720 or maybe down to 640x360 depending on the system)

It is easy to become gready and wanting a "live" preview allmost all the time after getting used to it. Still for preview work lowering the settings is still a lot more helpful than defaulting back to the texture shaded opengl viewports.

After you are done setting up the scene you can then use the more powerful "Path Tracing" or "PMC" Kernels and set it up to your final resolution of choice.

"Snoozing Test"

The character texture and hair look so real and very peaceful with that pose!
    Makes me want to follow the example and take a midday nap as well and relax. :-)

edited December 1969

Lindsey said:
    Installed the OctaneRender 1.1 demo for Windows to try it out. Exported a scene in OBJ format with textures and imported into OctaneRender. It was a fairly simple process considering I didn't use the Daz Octane Render plugin. Used the built in Daylight System for this test render.

What sets OctaneRender apart from LuxRender besides the speed, due to GPU rendering, is that you can change the camera view and manipulate the materials while the image is rendering. One drawback is with a single GPU, the display is "sluggish" while rendering, but the docs say if your system supports two GPU's you can dedicate one to rendering and one for the display. Since the demo is save disabled, captured a screen grab and included the status bar for those interested.

"Snoozing Test"

Rendered with OctaneRender 1.1 Demo for Windows
    Lights: Built in Float3DaylightSystem
    Render Time: 00:13:12 for 4000 samples at 1000x600 (demo size limitation).
    Win 8 Pro 64bit | GeForce GT640, 3071MB DDR3 | Intel i7-3930K 3.2 GHz | 16 GB RAM

I can say with confidence that use the plugin OctaneRender for DAZ Studio much easier than doing export. ;)
    The quality of image in a nice, but is little felt shadow on Michael and his clothes.
    Could you put the light in such a way that the shadows became more and she became softer?

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,984
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments to you both and thanks for the tips, linvanchene. I actually hadn't spent the time to go though the documentation and am not familiar enough with the program to make meaningful adjustments, but I am impressed how easy it was to obtain pleasing results by just importing a scene and fiddling with the built in Daylight system... and the rendering speed was incredible. I need to try mesh lighting for portraits and spend time studying the manual and additional experimenting before investing in the plugin and OctaneRender.... and add in a GTX 660 ti too, though I'm getting quick results with the GT 640 that came with the computer.

edited April 2013

Lindsey said:
    and add in a GTX 660 ti too, though I'm getting quick results with the GT 640 that came with the computer.

If you manage to find one try to get one that comes with 3GB VRAM instead of the more often seen 2GB for the GTX660ti.

From what I have gathered so far render speed is not so much the thing to worry about.
    The speed increase will be great no matter what you use compared to CPU rendering.

As a rule of thumb you will want to get as much VRAM as you can.

Some people even stick with 2x gtx 580 3gb.

The favorite at the moment seems to be the GTX Titan with 6GB.

The more VRAM you have the less you have to worry about texture sizes filling up the available space.

In general you can work around VRAM limitations by using octane specific shaders that are not based on textures but built in the Node Graph Editor (NGE). Its like the ds shader builder but more fun because you can actually download materials from the live database that other users built and shared for free.

edited April 2013

Tropical Bundle. Average time to render - 25 minutes. Resolution 2311x1300. Titan, PMC 1000.

TB-Octane-02-2000.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 329K
    TB-Octane-01-2000.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 438K
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited December 1969

Tropical Bundle. Average time to render - 25 minutes. Resolution 2311x1300. Titan, PMC 1000.

Hi Andrey I'm just wondering have you tried to use octane render in animation yet?
    if so how are you key-framing the sequences in the time line :)?

edited December 1969

Ivy said:

Hi Andrey I'm just wondering have you tried to use octane render in animation yet?

Yes, I tried to do the animation, but not with such heavy scenes like the forest or the tropics.
    The method is simple, the animation is done as usual in DAZ Studio, and the renderer do c OctaneRender. But now OctaneRender there is an bug, it stoped render of animation after a few frames. I hope it will be corrected.

edited December 1969

You really have found some great water settings with a suberb mix between waves and reflections!

Especially adoring the sunset image!! Might as well be a promo photograph.

Makes me to want to take some holidays and relax on the beach. ;-P

edited April 2013

Ivy said:

Yes, I tried to do the animation, but not with such heavy scenes like the forest or the tropics.
    The method is simple, the animation is done as usual in DAZ Studio, and the renderer do c OctaneRender. But now OctaneRender there is an bug, it stoped render of animation after a few frames. I hope it will be corrected...

the reason I asked was because I was testing octane-render in poser . I haven't been using DS much lately
    But feezing is a bug then in the render engine and not something I've been doing wrong. I tried a test render of a 100 keyframe animation and rendered 39 key-frames and then it stopped or froze on key-frame 40. the error log said GPU failed to respond to .ID-x86. win32.ocx.dll
    I sent them the log file and a request for help . thats why i asked if you have tried to render animation yet.
    Its nice to know I was not the only one that had a stopped error mid-way through the timeline sequence.

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited May 2013

I made a series of different test renders with the PMC kernel and 1 light emitter in the scene.
    I let it run for quite a long time to get an idea how many samples are needed.
    At around 2500 samples per pixel most noise was cleared. I let the final image rund until 4000+ samples were done.

Because the scene was light with only one lamp from above the light had a difficult way through all the hair.
    Nevertheless when using the Direct Light Kernel that one light source would not have been enough.
    PMC does indeed add a lot of indirect light bounces especially in indoor scenes.

"Lyon - Unsurprisable"

Lights: 1 scene prop - light tube: Texture Emission.
    Render Time: 24h+ for 4614 samples at 3840x2160.
    Postproduction: Contrast adjustments in photoshop.

PA licensed content:
    Lyon, Vida Hair, Tank Top, Westpark Ablutions, [...].

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151639151818899&set=a.10150326306703899.388422.169292668898&type=1

Edit Update 1:

Added another image:

"Lyon - The Shadow in the Mirror"
    Octane Render for DS - PMC Kernel mirror test
    The main idea was to try out how sharp a mirror image can get.
    The reflections in the mirror are calculated in a realistic way.
    The point of focus of the virtual camera has to be double the distance from the object to the mirror.
    Still even after 9334 samples there is still some noise left.
    Will have to revisit that idea at a later point with upgraded hardware.

- - -

"Lyon - The Shadow in the Mirror"
    - - -
    Lyon

Lights: 1 scene prop - light tube: Texture Emission.
    Render Time: 24h+ for 9334 samples at 1920x1080
    Postproduction: Contrast and noise filter adjustments in photoshop.

PA licensed content:
    Lyon, Vida Hair, MS Lycan, Tank Top, Westpark Ablutions, [...].

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151641161133899&set=a.10150326306703899.388422.169292668898&type=1

- - -

linvanoak_Lyon_shadow_in_the_mirror_v1001_1920x1080.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 335K
    linvanoak_Lyon_unsurprisable_v1002_1920x1080.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 487K
    edited May 2013

Linvanchene, images are great! Hard for me to stand waiting render in 24 hours. :) You are very patient. ;)
    I usually use 600 maxsamples (rare 1200) for rendering.

edited December 1969

Average time to render - 35 minutes. Resolution 1920x1080. GTX Titan, DirectLighting 600.

1920x1080-forum.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 920K
    edited December 1969

Average time to render - 35 minutes. Resolution 1920x1080. GTX Titan, DirectLighting 600.

That looks marvelous Andrey

edited December 1969

Ivy said:

That looks marvelous Andrey

+1

I would love to take a break at this place and relax in the forest some more!

Hard for me to stand waiting render in 24 hours. :) You are very patient. ;)
    I usually use 600 maxsamples (rare 1200) for rendering.

I only realized after rendering that I might have triggered a bug in Octane that is supposed to be fixed in the next update:

It seems when saving a scene with lights set to "No Enviroment" for some reason the HDR mode is loaded along when opening up the scene again.
    I made a post about this on the Octane Forum and it was confirmed.

In my last images two light solutions may have calculated at the same time. That might have been the reason why render times sky rocketed. PMC is supposed to be slower and more realistic but not that slow. ;-)

Well we will see after the next update...

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited July 2013

I see the OctaneRender presets in the store and instantly added to my cart. I use the Tropical bundle on occasion and am thankful that you made a preset product. Something like this is original and useful and really stands out to me.

Thanks Andrey!

Oopsies, I just realized this was an Art Studio thread....

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
    edited December 1969

larsmidnatt thank you!

• AmariJunAmariJun Posts: 22
    edited December 1969

I bought Tropical "Tropical Bundle for DAZ Studio plugin OctaneRender".

It's Excelent Item .
    Thanks Andrey !

• LomrikLomrik Posts: 53
    edited August 2013

2000 samples, Path Tracing, GTX680 2GB, 38 minutes.

No postwork, will work on the textures a bit and add a character.

tangeanCorner.jpg
    1800 x 1272 - 406K
    Post edited by Lomrik on
    edited December 1969

spider58 said:
    2000 samples, Path Tracing, GTX680 2GB, 38 minutes.

No postwork, will work on the textures a bit and add a character.

Good and fast rendering for large image! On the wall roughness felt good, but planar of the road and the grass.