New Bot Genesis... Genesis model forced to use Victoria 4 Skins ??

xaero76xaero76 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I dont get it, why is the Bot Genesis forced to use V4 Skins for ?

V4 skins do not align properly with the Genesis Model in the first place and with this hybrid model, I cannot find any way to clearly add any Genesis Skins like the V5 skins to the Bot Genesis so that they will fit correctly

For the most part the V4 Skins work perfectly with the Bot Genesis, however skins for V4 never align the nipple with the Genesis Model, and there is no way that I know of to force the skins to align with the model correctly without directly altering the textures

I can move the nipple skin placement with the Tile sliders, However... there is no scaling options and you are forced to move both nipples tiles at the same time... so one nipple with align correctly and the other nipple will be completely out of place...

is there something I am missing to make the V4 parts align correctly with Genesis with out altering the Texture directly ? and is there away to force Genesis Model Textures to apply correctly to the Bot Genesis ?

I just do not understand why on earth someone would make new Genesis morph/clothing options and force you to use older V4 Skins with out you having the options to also use Genesis skins for the Genesis Model that the morph/clothing was originally created for, doesnt make sense...

Thanks for any Help

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810
    edited December 1969

are you using the V4 uv mapping?
    under parameters
    Genesis by default uses V4 uv mapping

• xaero76xaero76 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The problem is that the Standard Genesis nipples on the model will not align to V4 Textures, they are not out of alignment by much but it is noticeable, AFAIK there is no way to move/alter model parts like the nipples on the Genesis to align them with textures, you can change the size, shape ect... but you cannot physically move the model parts

V5 Textures align perfectly with Genesis, but will not align up with the Bot Genesis model...

A few other issues with Bot Genesis, (using the textures that come with the product) during Render there is a Error message but the render still comes out fine

Another issue is that the V5 Genitals do not work correctly with the Bot Genesis, it shows problems on the models, and it displays errors during rendering, however the renders still come out fine

added 2 error message images, one without the genitals during a render and one with the genitals during a render, dont know if these are anything to worry about or not, as I said the images still come out fine without errors on the renders that I can see

Genesis_Bot_Error_2_with_Gen.jpg
    368 x 367 - 130K
    Genesis_Bot_Error_no_Gen.jpg
    285 x 374 - 99K
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

It's impossible to move any part of Genesis to align it with a texture. The whole idea of a texture is that it's effectively 'painted' onto that area, so you move the nipple, and you move the texture associated with that region. As for fixing the textures goes, Genesis has the ability to hot-swap between UV sets by changing the UV option in the surfaces tab. This means that it should be compatible with any texture you need it for.

As for the error messages, I wouldn't worry too much. That error is the subdivision trying to deal with an unusual face in the figure (as it explains, there are at least two attached faces between adjacent vertices), and any impact on the final render should be minimal, if noticeable at all. If it did this a lot (we're talking 20+ times) then it might be a bit more visible on the model, so you might want to keep an eye out for any glitches in the image.

Unfortunately, as I don't have Genesis bot I can't help too much further with your problem since I can't reproduce the issue here and have no visual references to go by.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,984
    edited January 2013

To be fair to the product creator, it does say in the description Bot Genesis is compatible with the V4 texture maps if you're wanting to get that bot-human look in the promo images. That would also include Aiko4, Stephanie4, Girl4 and V4 Male textures.

Post edited by Lindsey on
  • xaero76xaero76 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

It's impossible to move any part of Genesis to align it with a texture. The whole idea of a texture is that it's effectively 'painted' onto that area, so you move the nipple, and you move the texture associated with that region. As for fixing the textures goes, Genesis has the ability to hot-swap between UV sets by changing the UV option in the surfaces tab. This means that it should be compatible with any texture you need it for.

As for the error messages, I wouldn't worry too much. That error is the subdivision trying to deal with an unusual face in the figure (as it explains, there are at least two attached faces between adjacent vertices), and any impact on the final render should be minimal, if noticeable at all. If it did this a lot (we're talking 20+ times) then it might be a bit more visible on the model, so you might want to keep an eye out for any glitches in the image.

Unfortunately, as I don't have Genesis bot I can't help too much further with your problem since I can't reproduce the issue here and have no visual references to go by.

Thanks, didnt think it was anything to worry about much and is not noticeable on the final image

and dont think I can post any examples, to show what I mean... it has been this way ever since the Genesis model came out, so I havent used V4 skins on Genesis since there have been some high detailed V5 skins for Genesis instead

" Genesis has the ability to hot-swap between UV sets by changing the UV option in the surfaces tab. This means that it should be compatible with any texture you need it for."

The Problem is that both the nipples are tied in onto the same tile, so when you slide the tile to the left, right, up and down both nipples will move in the same direction so that one will be aligned correctly and the other will not be aligned, there is no scale option this would have helped a bit to aligned the textures to the Genesis model and or separate the titles so that the nipples are on different tiles

To be fair to the product creator, it does say in the description Bot Genesis is compatible with the V4 texture maps if you're wanting to get that bot-human look in the promo images. That would also include Aiko4, Stephanie4, Girl4 and V4 Male textures.

well, like I said the V4 works perfectly for the most part but for parts like the nipples, these have never correctly aligned to the Genesis models, if you use clothing there is no problem at all

one solution for this type of problem would be to include separate tiles for the nipples on the Genesis model, that way you can align V4 textures to the Genesis model

in the mean time I guess I will have to copy and alter my texture just for the Bot Genesis so that they align correctly

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,844
    edited December 1969

The first error is normal, chances are there's a transmap in the displacement channel of the eyelash surface, 3Delight doesn't like black based maps in displacement, especially when there's Opacity and reflections involved when it's creating a shadow with that surface.

The second is more serious, severity 2 & 3 warnings are 3Delights way of saying "there is something really wrong here and I don't like it", best to bug report it, that way DAZ & the vendor can get together and fix the issue.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

I was getting the same or at least a similar error message to the second one when I was rendering the Genesis Bot, I wasn't using the Genitals, I just thought it was something I had done as I'd been messing around alot with textures and shaders.
    I had alot of the error messages and the renders were coming out with the human skin area looking very black and sooty. I just cleared the scene and started again.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited January 2013

Bejaymac said:
    The first error is normal, chances are there's a transmap in the displacement channel of the eyelash surface, 3Delight doesn't like black based maps in displacement, especially when there's Opacity and reflections involved when it's creating a shadow with that surface.

Wrong displacement map or an unnecessary one are probably the most common cause...and can have an impact, but not on the rendered image, but rather the render time. Especially with raytraced shadows as it will do the calculations to create the shadows...and since black, in 3DL is 'all the way down' (white being 'all the way up'...medium grey being zero), it's calculating a lot more than needed.

Umm...as to the complaint about the skin textures...I think that the problem isn't a Genesis problem. I just went through 20 V4 skin textures (paid and free) and found 2 with the problem. I then loaded those two onto V4 (not the V4 shape for Genesis, but V4)...and the same exact misalignment shows up on her, too. Both the misaligned ones were paid textures! I think the problem lies with the merchant resource used for the textures. I'm guessing that since many of that 20 I used as a test group were freebies, that they were NOT using the same resource files.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • HeraHera Posts: 1,952
    edited December 1969

When I use the basic raytraced material for the Genesis robot, the nipples look odd, they come off as white, non-reflecting areas. Seems that the surface for the nipple differs from the rest of the torso. Is there a way around it?

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

In the main Bot for Genesis thread, the PA that created it indicated they would consider adding support for other UVs. However, considering that 98% of all skins out there are for V4's UV, it's understandable why they didn't do the (considerable) work to support UV switching on the Bot geografts. After V4, there are a handful of V5 and maybe M5 skins, and then the rest of the figures with custom UVs pretty much have nothing but the original skin they shipped with. While UV switching is a really cool feature, it doesn't make sense for vendors to target UV maps that are a paid add-on, because chances are, most people won't have them and that severely limits their potential sales in an already niche market. DAZ should really just include the V5 and M5 UVs with Genesis to make them the new 'base' gen 5 UVs so vendors can use them without having to worry if folks have the necessary support files or not. V5 and M5 still provide plenty of content for the paid packages in the form of the shapes/morphs they provide, plus the included skin.

• ParrisParris Posts: 392
    edited December 1969

Herakleia said:
    When I use the basic raytraced material for the Genesis robot, the nipples look odd, they come off as white, non-reflecting areas. Seems that the surface for the nipple differs from the rest of the torso. Is there a way around it?

Herakleia,

Sorry for the inconvenience. There is an update coming soon, but in the mean time here is a work around (works for other stuff in DS besides Bot Genesis):

To copy a material from one surface to another, obviously Copy/Paste doesn't work. What does work is to use the Surface tab and Shader Mixer to load a shader from one surface and apply it to another. Activate the Surface Selection Tool and click on Genesis's chest. Then on the Surfaces tab you should see that 2_SkinTorso is the active surface. Now on the Shader Mixer tab click File > Import From Scene, then click Accept in the "Import from Scene" dialog that pops up. You should now see that the shader you just loaded is active in Shader Mixer. Now click on the nipple or 2_Nipple in the Surface tab to make the nipple the active surface. Finally, in the Shader Mixer tab, click the green Apply button in the lower right corner. Nipple and chest should now have the same material. By the way if you don't see any of the tabs I mention, then in the main menu click Window > Panes (Tabs) > and select your missing tab.

I hope that helps.