fixing gen4 clothes for Genesis

assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

I'm looking for a video that show this.

You have a Gen4 outfit (model) you can use the auto-fit to get it to fit, BUT when you morph the outfits, you can get funky poly-mess...if that's the word.

How can you fix such a thing in Hexagon (blender would also work) or...would the whole thing need to be remodeled (which I hope isn't the case)

Comments

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

Vata Raven this may help, there are a couple of links to video tutorials on the page also Repairing Distorted Mesh and Re-Importing Morph

• assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Guess it would be more helpful on my end if I saw picture or something...guess it'll make do. There doesn't seem to be much about this topic (as far as I saw anyway)

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

There is a plugin available - GenX which converts Gen 4 clothing to Genesis.

Not having this plugin, what I would do is to export both Genesis and the clothing, separately, from Studio as .obj, bring both into Hex and adjust the clothing to fit. Export the altered clothing as a new .obj and use the transfer utility to fit to Genesis. Be sure to export Genesis in the base format.

You will loose any morphs the clothing has, so will have to redo any morphs you need.

Of course, you can't distribute clothing altered in this way:)

edited December 1969

I don't think GenX will do any better job when Autofit...I'm on the refuse end of spending $30 on a plug-in

edited December 1969

And by lost morphs???

You mean it won't morph to any shape?

edited December 1969

Not quite as bad as that - once you have fitted it to Genesis, it will automatically follow any Genesis shape, within the limits of the mesh (i.e. depending on the quality of the clothing mesh)

There is also a function in Studio to copy morphs to the clothing.

If you go to extremes, you may have to send it over the bridge to Hex to make a custom morph.

• BWSmanBWSman Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Roygee said:
    There is a plugin available - GenX which converts Gen 4 clothing to Genesis.

Not having this plugin, what I would do is to export both Genesis and the clothing, separately, from Studio as .obj, bring both into Hex and adjust the clothing to fit. Export the altered clothing as a new .obj and use the transfer utility to fit to Genesis. Be sure to export Genesis in the base format.

You will loose any morphs the clothing has, so will have to redo any morphs you need.

Of course, you can't distribute clothing altered in this way:)

Gen X converts Morphs from Gen 4 figures to Genesis not clothing.

edited December 1969

So...I guess if I want an outfit to fit Freak 5....I would export the outfit piece on with F5, to make sure it could fit?

I figure if it doesn't mess up with F5...then it's good with other figures.

But is modeling clothing for Genesis any different from modeling clothing from V4?

edited December 1969

Gen X converts Morphs from Gen 4 figures to Genesis not clothing.

Oops - sorry - my bad - misunderstood what I'd readhttp://www.daz3d.com/forums/smileys/#

The actual modeling process is no different - it is how the clothing fits that is vastly easier for Genesis. For the Gen 4 figures, you have to jump through a lot of hoops - defining groups, using donor rigging and getting the fall-off zones right.

For Genesis, the clothing is a single mesh and the transfer utility takes care of the rigging, etc.

Just one caveat - if you model to fit any Genesis figure other than the base figure, there is an extra process to go through to get it to recognize that it is made to fit a morphed figure.

edited December 1969

Roygee, just a quick question, would I be correct in assuming that I could turn a genesis figure into the shape of any of the gen4 or earlier figures that I posses, such as M3 or V3 or V4, and if that is the case I presume it is better and easier to work with for creating clothing, am only thinking for convenience of creating my own illustrations and not for creating available content.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581
    edited December 1969

Roygee, just a quick question, would I be correct in assuming that I could turn a genesis figure into the shape of any of the gen4 or earlier figures that I posses, such as M3 or V3 or V4, and if that is the case I presume it is better and easier to work with for creating clothing, am only thinking for convenience of creating my own illustrations and not for creating available content.

If you want your clothing to fit more shapes you should fit it to the base genesis shape. Making the clothing to a particular shape other than that has to be reversed back to the base shape, which the clothing could end up warped or crushed in some places.

edited December 1969

Thanks Male- M3dia,. So from now on it will be to my benefit if I create clothes for base genesis then I think maybe it should be a fairly straightforward procedure to change the genesis shape to M3 for example ?

edited December 1969

I agree with Male-M3dia. When you then fit the clothing to the morphed form, V5 or whatever, you can transfer the morphs to the clothing and if that doesn't do the trick, you can take it into Hex via the bridge and make whatever extra morphs that are needed to make the fit.

edited December 1969

....so complex

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

There are some videos by Daz3d.com over at Youtube.com, I have listed a few of them which cover this topic "here".

Depending upon which problems are being discovered, there are also some fixes available [free and $].

Such as this one: Genesis Autofit correction for V4 clothing by isotemod