how to edit a mesh/ make a morph? (mainly on genesis)

Noved1Noved1 Posts: 160
edited May 2013 in New Users

i had an idea for some alien like ridges and spine portrusions and such, and a few face morphs. is there a way i can take genesis into blender, or sculptris or some other sculpting program, and then edit the mesh, and put it back into daz safe and sound? because i only seem to be able to get obj's. in and out, and when i do that, genesis just becomes akin to a prop. i guess what i am saying, is how do i make a morph for genesis? preferably a method where i dont have to texture things, but can just use my already owned genesis textures, that work with the morph i made, just as the muscle and gender and weight etc. sliders and such do.

Post edited by Noved1 on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737
    edited December 1969

Make sure Genesis iss et to use the Base resolution before exporting your OBJ, and don't do anything in your modeller to add or remove geometry - all you can do is move it around. Both Blender and Sculptris can be sued, though the symmetry function in Sculptris is a no-no as it changes the mesh in a way that breaks morphability.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

You may need to change DS's interface layout to get to Morph Loader under Edit / Object or Figure.

• Noved1Noved1 Posts: 160
    edited May 2013

jestmart said:
    You may need to change DS's interface layout to get to Morph Loader under Edit / Object or Figure.

sorry if i sound naive, but can you elaborate on that? i take genesis into sculptris, then i make my ridges...then i just export genesis back in? or can you explain this morph loader? when i export him back out of blender as an obj he is simply a statue like prop. all of his movements and dials and such are gone.

Post edited by Noved1 on
  • Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited December 1969

noved123 said:
    jestmart said:

sorry if i sound naive, but can you elaborate on that? i take genesis into sculptris, then i make my ridges...then i just export genesis back in? or can you explain this morph loader? when i export him back out of blender as an obj he is simply a statue like prop. all of his movements and dials and such are gone.
    Import is for bringing objects into Studio so that you can rig them or otherwise set them up as new props, clothing items, figures, etc. However, to bring in morphs for an existing figure (such as Genesis) you need to load the morph object via the utility "Morph Loader Pro". This can be found in your Scene tab. If you look at the Scene tab you will see on the top left a small square icon with a triangle and a row of horizontal lines. Make sure the figure you want to morph (e.g. Genesis) is selected, click this icon and select Assets from the menu and from its submenu select Morph Loader Pro (MLP).

In MLP you will see a dialogue to browse to the morph object you created (Choose Morph Files). Obviously, there are number of parameters here, and I can't go into them all, but make sure you have the scale and axes set the same as you used when you exported the base object (with Blender I use the Lightwave preset for import and export). As long as you exported Genesis in a zeroed state the MLP defaults (other than the scale/axes, if you are not using Studio defaults) can be used to test with. One thing you will want to change when you get the hang of it is the property group, which defaults to "Morph Loader Pro". Other settings will allow you to morph a figure you exported in a pre-morphed or posed state, which can come in very handy for modifying other morphs, etc.

The essential thing with using MLP is that you must not change the number of vertices in your morph object or their order. If you do this it simply will not work. In Blender you must select "Keep Vert Order" and check "Polygroups" on import and export. I don't know how these attributes are maintained in Sculptris.

edited May 2013

i get "geometry did not match, failed to create morph" when i import the edited genesis obj with morph loader pro
    here are pics of what i am doing, maybe that will help determine what i am doing wrong

1. i open,

2. i click obj

3. i click load morph, then this happens

bandicam_2013-05-14_02-29-35-914.jpg
    695 x 452 - 42K
    bandicam_2013-05-14_02-29-32-222.jpg
    695 x 452 - 81K
    bandicam_2013-05-14_02-29-25-129.jpg
    168 x 214 - 6K
    bandicam_2013-05-14_02-28-48-002.jpg
    684 x 488 - 83K
    Post edited by Noved1 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,737
    edited December 1969

How did you create your morph? A morph may not add or change the mesh, it may only move the existing points around.

edited December 1969

How did you create your morph? A morph may not add or change the mesh, it may only move the existing points around.

i exported genesis obj into blender, than i used clay-like sculpting tools to make ridges on his back.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

You may want to check this thread.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/6728/P15/

Specifically the last question I asked Gary_P

• Hiro ProtagonistHiro Protagonist Posts: 699
    edited May 2013

I think the most common cause of this error is due to exporting Genesis in "High Resolution". Resolution must be set to "Base". Of course, there must be no other objects visible in your Studio scene, as these will be exported too. Once you have this base Genesis in Blender you must not add any vertices (or delete any, although that is unlikely to be done with the Genesis figure). Typically, vertices will be added by subdivision in Blender, or any other subdivision process, such as extrusion, or or when setting "Dynamic Topology" in Sculpt mode, which adds vertices. Sculpt in default mode does not add geometry and is fine for morph creation.

It's possible to import a morph using MLP without vertex order having being maintained, but when the morph is dialled it will look like an explosion in a polygon factory.

Post edited by Hiro Protagonist on