Comments

• SphericLabsSphericLabs Posts: 598
    edited December 1969

Very cool detail on that.

• Michael GMichael G Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    Just finished this.

Please, check the original size if you have the chance, I like how the detail turned out. :-P

WoW! hellboy! just......wow! looks like a bronze statue. How many samples did you render it too?

• kittenwyldekittenwylde Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

Render, my behind! He's snuck a photograph in on us!
    Awesome job, Hellboy :)

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

Render, my behind! He's snuck a photograph in on us!
    Awesome job, Hellboy :)

I agree - has to be a photo! Seriously though, that is one off the charts render!!!
  • SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the compliments! :-)
    Hmm... I don't know how many samples, I usually don't check them. :-P

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

Just got this render out of the oven :)

Not nearly as good as the renders already posted here, but it's my first render using Luxus that I thought was worth sharing. Due to the transparency of here dress, I couldn't post the full image here. If your interested in seeing the full image, you can see it in my Rendo gallery here (warning nudity):
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2437740

Now I just need the time to be able to play with the beta Luxus plugin for Carrara!!!

Murielle_Face.jpg
    388 x 356 - 29K
    edited December 1969

dustrider said:
    Just got this render out of the oven :)

Not nearly as good as the renders already posted here, but it's my first render using Luxus that I thought was worth sharing. Due to the transparency of here dress, I couldn't post the full image here. If your interested in seeing the full image, you can see it in my Rendo gallery here (warning nudity):
    http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2437740

Now I just need the time to be able to play with the beta Luxus plugin for Carrara!!!

Its a damn good start, though too me it looks toon-ish.

edited December 1969

It is time It is time to explain the Javascripting in the Extra settings. The simplest application is using Lbm2(LuxRender Material Database) files. Here is a lbm2 file saved out of Blender. It is a very simple matte material which is a shade of gray.

{
      "_comment": "LBM2 material data saved by LuxBlend25", 
      "objects": [
        {
          "type": "MakeNamedMaterial", 
          "extra_tokens": "", 
          "name": "Material", 
          "paramset": [
            {
              "type": "color", 
              "value": [
              ], 
              "name": "Kd"
            }, 
            {
              "type": "float", 
              "value": 0.0, 
              "name": "sigma"
            }, 
            {
              "type": "string", 
              "value": "matte", 
              "name": "type"
            }
          ]
        }
      ], 
      "version": "1.2.rc1", 
      "metadata": {
        "estimated_size": 884, 
        "exterior": "", 
        "interior": ""
      }, 
      "category_id": -1
    }

So what do we need to do to make this work in the extra settings? Like so(paste this into the Material Extra Settings):

eval {
     var lbm2 = {
       "_comment": "LBM2 material data saved by LuxBlend25 and altered for Luxus", 
      {
       {
         "value": [
         ], 
       }, 
       {
       }, 
       {
       }
        ]
      }
       ], 
       }, 
     }
     Lux.writeValue(lbm2);
    }
    NamedMaterial "Material"

And this is a cool thing especially if you use a material from the LuxRender Material Database. Yet this is javascript we are talking here, so perhaps there is more power here. Perhaps we can hook up the DAZ Studio diffuse color channel to our matte materials color? Yes we can, like so:

eval {
     var lbm2 = {
       "_comment": "LBM2 material data saved by LuxBlend25 and altered for Luxus", 
      {
       {
         "value": Lux.getValue("Diffuse Color"),
       }, 
       {
       }, 
       {
       }
        ]
      }
       ], 
       }, 
     }
     Lux.writeValue(lbm2);
    }
    NamedMaterial "Material"

The object will now be the DAZStudio Diffuse Color that you set on the object. Any questions?

• DAZ_cjonesDAZ_cjones Posts: 637
    edited May 2013

It is time It is time to explain the Javascripting in the Extra settings. The simplest application is using Lbm2(LuxRender Material Database) files. Here is a lbm2 file saved out of Blender. It is a very simple matte material which is a shade of gray.

The object will now be the DAZStudio Diffuse Color that you set on the object. Any questions?

The diffuse channel is usually mapped. How would one handle that case?

Post edited by DAZ_cjones on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

This looks like a pretty simple wrapper function, is there any way to build this in so it can be automated, ie.. click a button and point to a text file with the exported shader as is? Or, is there too many variables in the way this would need to be handled that would prevent that?

edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    This looks like a pretty simple wrapper function, is there any way to build this in so it can be automated, ie.. click a button and point to a text file with the exported shader as is? Or, is there too many variables in the way this would need to be handled that would prevent that?

For just setting it up to use the lbm2, yes this would be very simple. We can wait for the next build, but it would be just as easy to make a daz script that does this.
  • SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Are there a set of Extra Settings that will set the Color Space, White Point, and Film Response so that I don't have to do it manually every time?

edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Are there a set of Extra Settings that will set the Color Space, White Point, and Film Response so that I don't have to do it manually every time?

Those would be in the ExtraSettings in the Render Settings, and it would work, but I will add those to the Render Settings in the next build.

edited December 1969

Slosh said:

Those would be in the ExtraSettings in the Render Settings, and it would work, but I will add those to the Render Settings in the next build.

I thought as much, but I can't guess at the proper commands. I trie things like ColorSpace "Adobe RGB 98", but it caused error in LuxRender. Maybe I should have put an equal sign, like ColorSpace = "Adobe RGB 98"?

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited May 2013

Lux does not take named colourspaces. You must specify the individual channels.

Lux's default colorspace (SMPTE) corresponds to:

"float colorspace_red" [.63 .34]
    "float colorspace_green" [0.31 0.595]
    "float colorspace_blue" [0.155 0.07]
    "float colorspace_white" [0.314275 0.329411]

When you select a colour space or whitepoint preset in the GUI, Lux is using a lookup table to fill in these values. You can see the values Lux uses in the file http://src.luxrender.net/lux/file/26b984c0ff01/qtgui/colorspacewidget.cpp at the top.

The film response is specified with "string cameraresponse" ["crfname"].

Post edited by cwichura on
    edited May 2013

cwichura said:

When you select a colour space or whitepoint preset in the GUI, Lux is using a lookup table to fill in these values. You can see the values Lux uses in the file http://src.luxrender.net/lux/file/26b984c0ff01/qtgui/colorspacewidget.cpp at the top.

I'm sure that I am missing something here. I looked up the values that I want to use from the table, substituted them into the code you provided. I get either no change in settings in Lux GUI, or I get an error, depending on whether I leave in the quotation marks or not. I tried with quotes, without quotes, with "code" tags, without tags. I tried it in the first Extra Settings box and also in the last Extra Settings box (at the bottom of render settings). What am I doing wrong?

Post edited by Slosh on
  • cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

I don't have Luxus, so I don't know what it's doing with the Extra Settings. But after export, you should be able to paste those settings into the Film block of the generated scene file. If that works, then the issue has something to do with where Extra Settings is injecting those statements.

• jax_512b7aea09jax_512b7aea09 Posts: 61
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    cwichura said:

I'm sure that I am missing something here. I looked up the values that I want to use from the table, substituted them into the code you provided. I get either no change in settings in Lux GUI, or I get an error, depending on whether I leave in the quotation marks or not. I tried with quotes, without quotes, with "code" tags, without tags. I tried it in the first Extra Settings box and also in the last Extra Settings box (at the bottom of render settings). What am I doing wrong?
    I copied that block into the Render Settings: Extra Settings box as is and it worked for me. Changed the values and the settings in the LuxRender GUI match what I entered.

edited December 1969

Mordur said:
    Slosh said:
    cwichura said:

I copied that block into the Render Settings: Extra Settings box as is and it worked for me. Changed the values and the settings in the LuxRender GUI match what I entered.

Really? I tried and it just didn't work for me. Tried about 10 times, with different configurations. Did you include the "code" and "/code" at the beginning and end of the list? And did you put them in the first Extra Settings box (at the top of the render settings) or the last (at the bottom of the render settings)?

Edit: Just realized the problem. I already had an Accelerator in my extra settings. As soon as I got rid of that, it worked.

edited December 1969

Any body got tips for making water with luxus?, it was really easy with reality but not so with luxus. All I know is you need to use glass2 with volume.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Michael_G said:
    Any body got tips for making water with luxus?, it was really easy with reality but not so with luxus. All I know is you need to use glass2 with volume.

There are plenty of ways to go about adding water to a scene. The easiest is to simply use an interior volume on a plane with the same IOR as the water. Use Glass2 as the material type, but be sure to uncheck the architectural option, since you'll want refraction. Water has an IOR of around 1.33, so use the same IOR for the volume and the glass itself. For a really nice finish, add displacement maps to break up the surface a bit.
    edited December 1969

Michael_G said:

There are plenty of ways to go about adding water to a scene. The easiest is to simply use an interior volume on a plane with the same IOR as the water. Use Glass2 as the material type, but be sure to uncheck the architectural option, since you'll want refraction. Water has an IOR of around 1.33, so use the same IOR for the volume and the glass itself. For a really nice finish, add displacement maps to break up the surface a bit.

Thanks I will give that try.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Don't forget to give the water a bottom! :)

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:

Sorry, what does this means? :question:

• kittenwyldekittenwylde Posts: 151
    edited December 1969

There should be some kind of ground plane under the water. Although I don't know if that applies to oceans, as well, or just shallow things like streams and ponds.

edited December 1969

Michael_G said:

I don't have "interior" volume or IOR on the glass2 material. Only IOR in the volume section. Is this normal?

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    SimonJM said:

Sorry, what does this means? :question:

As Sithkitten said - it would depend on how deep the water is supposed to be as the bottom surface should have a degree of impact. beyond a certain depth of water that woudl become negligible, but how deep that'd be would depend on the water (fresh, brine, brackish, turbulence, silt, etc., etc.) and is waaaaaay beyond anything I know! :)

edited December 1969

Still a WIP, but I'm doing a water prop with different presets. I'll share when I'm done. :-)

water_presets_example.jpg
    399 x 116 - 44K
    edited December 1969

Water...

water_presets_example2.jpg
    1377 x 476 - 147K
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    Water...

This looks so good, I hope you are creating shaders for us with this work. The only thing I see missing is the separation between the water and the post. In this case, the water plane is penetrating the post. I think the water itself is perfect, I wouldn't change a thing, but maybe somehow a hole in the water plane so that a line will appear where it meets the post.