Metallic / Shimmer Effect via Shader even possible? (e.g. Embroidery, Make Up, Skin/Scale, Peacock f

Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
edited May 2013 in Carrara Discussion

I am trying now for quite sometime to achieve the metallic effect you can have in Poser & DS
But I haven't been very successful.

I am talking about the glittering, shimmering effect like you have with stitchings/embroidery of clothes, the shimmering effect scaled skin can have or the shimmering glitter effect of make-up / Eye shadow, or the metallic appearance of an iris (e.g. cats, reptiles and so on) - and the metallic shimmer of a peacock feather.

Is this even possible?

I worked a lot with the natural functions such as cells - playing with size and brightnes.

But it only works so far and not any further - it's either too bright or too weak - or the cells are still with 1 % too big. And then there is the problem with the localization - it's not really possible to limit that to a certain location if you only want it e.g for the eye lids, lips, or the spots on a dress where the embroidery is located.

I tried with creating new shading domains - but the Vertex Room only let's you work on a "unmorphed" mesh so it's very hard to "match" the zone correctly to the applied texture and morphed mesh.

Post edited by Rhian-Skyblade on

Comments

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited May 2013

Hya

have a look at the metallic presets in the shaders that come with Carrara

try this

In top part of shader choose multichannel mixer
    dop a metallic shader into one and another metallic shader of a different colour as the other
    in the Blender section at the bottom chhose Cellular (under natural functions)

Then if you want, go to the reflection sections of each metallic shader and choose Cellular.

You could just do a plain Jane shader and choose Cellular in Rfelection channel as well but not as effective.
    Oh you need something to reflect as well - like sky.

I guess you could drop something in theglow channel as well.

Post edited by Headwax on
  • Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
    edited May 2013

I tried so far only with celluar and following setup:

Highlight -> Mixer or Mulityply -> Texture Map & Celluar
    Shininess -> 0 %

Reflection - I tried that, but I think I am goung to need some sort of "alpha" overlay, that only the glittering will be reflective and the rest will look "normal".

Hmm I will see what I can do - maybe it's time to use Fenric's Shader Blender.

Noob Question for reflective background.
    Is there a way to reflect something on my scene objects that isn't visible itself in the render - like the sky for example?
    Sometimes I prefer to use a background photo or screenshot of a sky

Post edited by Rhian-Skyblade on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited May 2013

Anything in the scene that would show up in a reflection will show up in a reflection even if it's not in the camera frame, if reflection is turned on for that object (yes in-other-words, it's automatic.)

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

HI Rhiana :)

You can use an Image,. colour or HDRI in the "Scene / Background" and that will reflect on any objects in your scene which have reflection enabled in the shader.

But it only works so far and not any further - it’s either too bright or too weak - or the cells are still with 1 % too big. And then there is the problem with the localization - it’s not really possible to limit that to a certain location if you only want it e.g for the eye lids, lips, or the spots on a dress where the embroidery is located.

try applying your shader to a plane and exporting as OBJ with the option to "convert procedural shader to textures" and set the image size.

that will give you the ability to take that "highlight" or "Shininess" (greyscale image) into an image editor, where you can scale and tile it to fit onto the Items "UV template",. or you could use an existing texture map as the guide.

try creating a greyscale map of your Image texture, and use that in the highlight and shininess.

Try mixing a fractal noise function, and "None" , and using your Cellular function as the Blender.
    this will give you noise within the Cell, and make it seem smaller or more grainy.

I tried with creating new shading domains - but the Vertex Room only let’s you work on a “unmorphed” mesh so it’s very hard to “match” the zone correctly to the applied texture and morphed mesh.

In the vertex modeller,. there are three Blue Icons in the top right panel... the Middle one is "animation mode" which will switch your model from the default T-pose, to it's current animated pose from the time-line.
    This allows you to adjust morphs on an animated figure,. in it's pose,. to correct for poke-through or other issues.

But,. that shouldn't prevent you from selecting or creating a new shading domain.

To create shader effects with precision on a model, it's easier to create a texture map to apply the effect to specific areas,. especially if the model has few shading domains.

Also,..; for your other "building" model,.
    In the shader room,. you can rename the shaders, (so that they make more sense) using the right hand panel,.
    select a shader name in that panel, and it'll appear in the bottom Text area,. where you can rename it.

Hope it helps :)

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I think you want the ANISOTROPIC "light model" shader. You find it in the dropdown menu at the top level of the shader tree. This is the effect used for silk and brushed metal. It extends the highlight in a "polarized" direction.

Adding a color in the highlight channel also gives a metallic look.

Doc1.png
    450 x 600 - 225K
    Screen_Shot_2013-05-10_at_12.37_.34_PM_.png
    981 x 493 - 178K
    Screen_Shot_2013-05-10_at_12.36_.24_PM_.png
    965 x 480 - 198K
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Rhiana said:

Noob Question for reflective background.
    Is there a way to reflect something on my scene objects that isn't visible itself in the render - like the sky for example?
    Sometimes I prefer to use a background photo or screenshot of a sky

Regarding the Noob Question ;-) :

You can add in a Realistic Sky, or add an HDRI, color, color gradient, or image in the scene's Background and it will reflect in whatever reflective surfaces you have. To avoid having the sky or image visible, you have a couple options.

The first option is to add the image you want visible in the final render to the scene's Backdrop. You would retain the sky or the image in the Background which is what would be reflected.

Another option which may give you more control would be to add your Realistic Sky, or add an image, color or color gradient to the Background, and in the Render Room enable the Alpha channel. I generally prefer to use the straight alpha rather than the pre-multiplied alpha, but that could just be me. When you set up your render, make sure you use an image format that can handle alphas such as .png, .gif or Photoshop. You would then use an image editing program that can handle layers, such as Photoshop, Gimp or whatever you prefer, to composite the rendered image with the image you want for the background.

• EximorphEximorph Posts: 35
    edited December 1969

Rhiana said:

I am talking about the glittering, shimmering effect like you have with stitchings/embroidery of clothes, the shimmering effect scaled skin can have or the shimmering glitter effect of make-up / Eye shadow, or the metallic appearance of an iris (e.g. cats, reptiles and so on) - and the metallic shimmer of a peacock feather.

I think what you want is iridescence. To do that you need something like Sparrowhawk's Edge Falloff shader. That's what I used in this image to control a color gradient with blue on the left, red on the right, and green in the middle. You can see the difference in the two previews.

Irid.png
    1597 x 1177 - 693K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited May 2013

iridescence looks good

here is render with reflection
    the scales havd a gradient in the reflection channel
    you could fine tune it a lot
    they are surface replicated and the original mesh is invisable
    you can tell carrara where to replicate with a texture

I know they look like diam antes :)

also see http://www.des-web.net/html/iridescent.html

scalescloseup.jpg
    1078 x 763 - 237K
    scales.jpg
    1200 x 824 - 269K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • 0oseven0oseven Posts: 626
    edited December 1969

Rhiana said:
    I am trying now for quite sometime to achieve the metallic effect you can have in Poser & DS
    But I haven't been very successful.

********************************************************************************************

You might like these free SATIN shaders

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?section_id=57&

thumb_65251.jpg
    200 x 182 - 23K