Nothing works anymore. Don't even know where to start

patty_b8f1b37508patty_b8f1b37508 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I've been busy the last few months, and probably haven't used my DAZ Studio 4.5 for about three months. I opened the program today and--shock, horror--nothing works anymore. My models are corrupted, files won't load, shaders don't work, and the program crashed when I tried to save something.

But... I've changed nothing on my computer (PC Windows 7). I haven't installed new software.

I don't even know where to start fixing this. I've got a fair bit of purchased content. I'm pulling my hair out.

Comments

• R25SR25S Posts: 595
    edited December 1969

I would try to reinstall DAZ Studio, saved models (and even the contents) are not affected by a reinstall

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

My models are corrupted, files won’t load, shaders don’t work, and the program crashed when I tried to save something.

We would need a lot more information to help you.

When you say the models are corrupted, what models, and how are they corrupted? Can you load a base Genesis? What version of DS4.5 are you using, and is it 32 bit or 64 bit, Help > About DAZ Studio will give you the version number. The current stable release is DS4.5.1.56, but there is a beta version available as well.

What shaders don;t work, what are they, and what are you trying to apply them to. Shaders are only visible when rendered, and to apply them, you must select the object in the Scene pane AND select the surface in the Surfaces pane as well.

When there is a crash, DS usually writes out to the log file, which you can find in Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File. If you go back to the end of the previous session, there may be some information on what happened.

• patty_b8f1b37508patty_b8f1b37508 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I'm using 4.5.1.6 Pro 64 bit.

The program starts normally, and loads a Genesis figure, but so far, none of the hair models work properly. The files are distorted. The lines zig-zag randomly. I can't change the colours. I can't apply the ubershader to any surface.

I used to be able to do all of this, and I've made no changes to my computer that I'm aware of. I will try re-installing.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Try a reinstall and see if that helps, if not, you would need to check a few other things for me, but see how the reinstall goes first though.

It may be a good idea to download and install the latest version from your Product Library, DS 4.5.1.56, it wont remove any content, but it will uninstall your previous version for you

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

mikandra said:
    I'm using 4.5.1.6 Pro 64 bit.

The program starts normally, and loads a Genesis figure, but so far, none of the hair models work properly. The files are distorted. The lines zig-zag randomly. I can't change the colours. I can't apply the ubershader to any surface.

I used to be able to do all of this, and I've made no changes to my computer that I'm aware of. I will try re-installing.

The problem with the hair might be caused by the hair trying to follow the character's eyelashes. Try selecting the hair, going to the Parameters tab, showing hidden properties*, and zeroing out any eyelash-related morphs appearing in the list. Less often, it's due to a non-eyelash-related morph...may take some trial and error to find the right one.

*To show hidden properties, on the Parameters pane, click the Active Pane Options menu icon (the little icon with four horizontal lines and a triangle) and select "Show Hidden Properties."

Hopefully a reinstall will solve your other problems...let us know how it turns out.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

are you sure Windows hasn't installed any updates in the last 3 weeks? As if it was working on day and not the next then I highly doubt the issue is with Daz Studio. Things like this don't happen on their own.