Rigging new clothes for V4

a426816a426816 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi,

I created some clothes to fix V4 in the default zeroed position and have imported them as an .obj prop.

Is there a way to rig them so that they have the same skeleton as V4 ?

Anyone link me to a good video tutorial ?

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825
    edited December 1969

Yes, using the Figure Setup pane.

Load and select V4, then from the Figure Setup pane's option menu (button in the top corner, or right-click on the tab) Copy From Selected Figure. Since this is the Poser V4 figure, select the Poser preset for the OBJ when prompted (to be on the safe side, though you will be removing references to the V4 OBJ in any case)

Right-click in the Figure Setup pane's Geometry List panel and choose Add Geometry, then set the options as you did for importing the OBJ into the scene.

Drag the OBJ's entry from the Geometry List onto the root of the V4 figure in the Relationships panel.

Right-click on unwanted bones to delete them. For bones you want, but which don't have groups in your OBJ (for example, if your sleeves end with the forearms you probably want to keep the hand bones) right-click on the entry under Geometry and select Remove Geometry Reference. If you want to add handles you can create new child bones by a right-click too, or if they have groups already by dragging the bones to the right place in the hierarchy..

Rename the figure by clicking on the name.

Check Modify Selected Figure at bottom left of the pane. Click Create.

You will need to adjust the joint settings for each of the parameters with the Joint Editor Tool - but make sure you leave the centre and end points alone.

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,538
    edited December 1969

Before you do this for a specific garment, load V4 and delete all the "exess" bones that aren't going to appear in most of your garments. Save this as a new donor figure that you can reload for multiple garments.

If you just eliminate the fingers, that's 30 bones (out of 120 or so) that you won't have to delete every time you start a new garment.

Of course if you make gloves or gauntlets later, just go back to the stock V4.

• BerBuzBerBuz Posts: 64
    edited December 1969

Hi Richard,

I’m trying to apply the process you describe to a pair of sport socks but result is not really there. I’ve probably missed something. When I create the figure all the bones are ridiculously small and aggregated at the centre of the figure, no one is in its original place. (see image)
    Any idea?

Regards,
    (DS pro 4.5.1.56 (w64))

geom.jpg
    600 x 438 - 53K
  • jaebeajaebea Posts: 454
    edited December 1969

Following...

edited December 1969

Did you have Modify selected figure checked? Is you OBJ grouped correctly, and imported with the correct scale setting (if you import it as an OBJ into the scene with the same preset does it line up with V4)?

edited December 1969

Did you have Modify selected figure checked? YES
    Is you OBJ grouped correctly NO
    and imported with the correct scale setting YES
    if you import it as an OBJ into the scene with the same preset does it line up with V4) YES

My geometry’s groups do not correspond to V4 bones. That’s probably the reason, I’ll try to rename them correctly and give feedback
    Thank you very much Richard.

edited May 2013

The drag-and-drop method of switching OBJ files is dependent on the names of the groups, so yes that would be it - at least for the invisibility, I'm not sure about the bone alignments.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

The problem was exactly there.
    Now, with the correct names the skeleton transfer works, bones are “almost” aligned. But, if I save the figure as .CR2 (do I have another choice ?) and load it back it will not fit V4 correctly. There should be small differences between V4 bone positions and transferred ones.

Thereupon I noticed a bizarre thing I would like to have your opinion about: when I load V4, leg and feet positions are different from the ‘zeroed’ figure’s leg and feet positions! Which one has to be considered when designing follower figures?
    Regard,

edited May 2013

The zeroed figure is the one you should build around, not the default pose. Saving as a scene subset should also work, though it is probably best to save as a cr2 as well/instead. The bones really should be precisely aligned using this method - that's the point of taking V4 as the donor and modifying it, rather than creating a new figure and adjusting the bones manually.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    edited December 1969

Thank you very much for your valuable help Richard.
    Bernard.