Fire and Smoke by smay won't render...

staticstatic Posts: 325
edited May 2013 in The Commons

I have a predicament that I can't work out.
I'm using smay's Fire and Smoke and if I do a spot render of a flame I just loaded, it comes out fine, but, when I turn the flame so that it comes out from a point to the back towards a point to the fore, i.e., Translate X -160, Y 77, and Z -5, It disappears all together.

Has anyone had a similar problem and can anyone offer a solution?

EDIT:
Also, the scale is X 15%, Y 36%, and Z 15%.
If the camera intersects the flame, it's fine, but when it is head-on, nothing.

Post edited by static on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,849
    edited December 1969

Is the flame made of intersecting planes? I thought that set used volumes, but it's quite common for flames to be a set of planes crossing in the middle and of course if you look down the flame you are then seeing the planes edge on.

• staticstatic Posts: 325
    edited December 1969

It appears voluminous but I am not really sure how to tell. I don't have any other flames to compare it with. In the scene, it shows 3 dimensionality regardless of the angle of view, but in the render it disappears.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Go in to WireFrame mode and see how the mesh is made, that will tell you what it is made up of.

I did think that all these props were made from one envolping mesh and not planes.

As to your problem sorry can't help I don't have them yet.

edited December 1969

I viewed it in WireFrame and it appears as a geometric object, not intersecting planes. So yes, it is volumetric.

edited December 1969

What are your render settings?

edited December 1969

My Render Settings are below.

Render_Settings.png
    548 x 865 - 42K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Render settings look good.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

I have the set and have not had a problem using it.

Can you please screen shot from your camera angle that its not rendering from?

Also, what version of DS are you using?

edited May 2013

Studio Version 4.5.2.40

Here are screens of how it looks in scene and how it looks in render.

In each picture, the top half is in the scene editor and the bottom half is spot-rendered (full renders are identical in the rendered areas).

As you can see in 'a', the flames render fairly well, but in the other three positions, you can see that the closer you get to a head-on shot, the less it produces.

I have also included a Wireframe shot so you can see the makeup of the flame.

Wire.png
    674 x 537 - 34K
    d.png
    674 x 537 - 442K
    c.png
    674 x 537 - 438K
    b.png
    674 x 537 - 418K
    a.png
    674 x 537 - 440K
    Post edited by static on
    edited December 1969

Clutching at straws, but try turning up ray trace depth.

edited December 1969

I ran it at 5, 10, and 16. No difference.

edited May 2013

Inner and Outer Colour on the surface tab controls the transparency of the shader. When you are viewing the props from such an angle that they start to disappear like that then you need to adjust the inner or outer colours to compensate. Also, lighting will effect how these look.

Post edited by Mattymanx on
    edited May 2013

That did it!
    Thanks Mattymanx!
    That was just the tweak it needed. I bumped the Outer Colors by just a bit and got just the effect I was looking for.

I never realized what those were for. Thanks again for the tip!

EDIT:

This is what I was aiming for...

4.png
    408 x 248 - 141K
    Post edited by static on
    edited December 1969

Mattymanx, while you're here, could you tell me how to make your skin shader "Vladimir" a little less plastic and a tad more realistic.
    That is the skin I chose for my attempt at the Bald Wizard's Club, but it's just a bit "toony" for my taste. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

edited May 2013

Glad the issue is solved.

For the Vladmir skin, if you are refering to my pwSurface2 skin preset I would suggest adjusting the spec and gloss levels along with spec sharpness. May want to add some bump or displacement to help add a touch of realism too.

If you want to move the discussion to a different thead so things are not too mixed up, feel free to post addition questions and comments in the freebie thread for the pwS2 presets - http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/10847/

Post edited by Mattymanx on