M5/V5 Grey Gens ( again)

cloistercloister Posts: 5
edited December 1969 in New Users

I purchased the M5/V5 bundle complete with male & female gens.

Every time I load them, I get the usual grey colour.

I could do with a step by step guide to changing this grey to the basic colour of the figure.

Why don't they do this automatically?? Daz seems to have an extremely convoluted route to get anything to look correct.

Why the heck aren't the figures supplied as being anatomically correct??

I'm beginning to see why Daz is free to download, as it's so difficult for a beginner to use. As I've said before, the Wiki is proving to be next to useless!

Sorry for the criticism, but I' m totally bald from tearing my hair out, so any help would be most appreciated.

cloister ( the totally stupid and bald )

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

cloister said:
    I purchased the M5/V5 bundle complete with male & female gens.

Every time I load them, I get the usual grey colour.

I could do with a step by step guide to changing this grey to the basic colour of the figure.

Why don't they do this automatically?? Daz seems to have an extremely convoluted route to get anything to look correct.

Why the heck aren't the figures supplied as being anatomically correct??

I'm beginning to see why Daz is free to download, as it's so difficult for a beginner to use. As I've said before, the Wiki is proving to be next to useless!

Sorry for the criticism, but I' m totally bald from tearing my hair out, so any help would be most appreciated.

cloister ( the totally stupid and bald )

The gens are separate figures, despite being geografted. That means that materials work independently of the figure you're fitting them to. In the case of V5, you can simply copy the material used on '2_SkinHip' to the prop and it will work correctly. UV maps are supplied for various figures, but not all UV's are supported. Aiko 5, for example, is not supported. Victoria 4+5, Stephanie 5 and Basic Female are all supported with the appropriate character packs though.

As for the male, that's one where a simple copy/paste simply won't work. However, there are many character packs include a set of separate textures for them so check materials folders for them.

• mark128mark128 Posts: 1,029
    edited May 2013

The genitals need a skin texture that blends in with the skin textures on the hip. If the genitals came with their own skin texture, it would not look correct.

As HeraldOfFire points out, this is pretty simple for female genitals. You can just apply the same skin texture that is applied to the body.

For the M5 male genitals, you need to have a skin that includes a genital texture. Not all male skins do. Also M4 genital textures do not work on M5 genitals, although there may be a way to work around for this.

Post edited by mark128 on
  • cloistercloister Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

I must be cloister ( the incredibly stupid ). "Copy the material used on '2_SkinHip' to the prop"? Where do I find the material, and how do I copy it?

Why is the male different?? Why is there no skin with M5?? Have I just spent £££ on a M5/V5 bundle only to be told "you need to purchase this, that and the other to make it work"?? What do I have to do to get M5 to work??

I'm beginning to feel like I'm being ripped off!! Why didn't M5/V5 bundle warn me "You need to purchase 'this' and you need to do 'that'??

cloister ( the pissed off!!)

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited May 2013

The default M5 skin (Elite Philip) does have a genital texture. I don't have DS in front of me at the moment, so I can't check on how to apply it, but I'll take a look later if the question hasn't been answered by then. What Mark and HOF are saying is that this isn't true of all M5 textures. The reason is because there's extra geometry there that the existing textures don't cover, so an additional genital texture is required (and not all characters include it). That's not true of the female because the female gens more closely match the default no-genital Genesis.

Edited to add: here's another thread on the same topic, with information that may be of use to you... http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/11002/

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,984
    edited December 1969

Phil's toaster materials should be located in People>Genesis>Anatomy>Materials

Phils_toaster_materials.jpg
    679 x 906 - 110K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Had a chance to check this...here's how I got the texture to load:

1. Loaded Michael 5
    2. Loaded the geografted gens
    3. In the scene tab, select Genesis Male Genitalia
    4. Find the textures in the Content Library (as shown by Lindsey above) or in Smart Content under Materials>Masculine>Michael 5.

Let me know if you need more detail on any of the steps in the process.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

cloister said:
    I must be cloister ( the incredibly stupid ). "Copy the material used on '2_SkinHip' to the prop"? Where do I find the material, and how do I copy it?)

1) Click on Genesis
    2) Open the Surfaces Tab
    3) Click on Editor in the top part of the Surfaces tab
    4) Click on 2_SkinHip in the surfaces list
    5) Copy the material named 2_SkinHip from Genesis by right-clicking and choosing 'copy'
    6) Paste the material onto the 2_SkinHip surface on the genital prop, which should also appear in the list.

See pic for further detail.

Capture.jpg
    380 x 698 - 160K
  • cloistercloister Posts: 5
    edited December 1969

Aha!!!

Thanks, all you guys!! You are all so knowledgable and so willing to help an ol' git like me!! :red:

Got it all working. I won't give up just yet! :-)

cloister ( the raw newbie )