Need help: Genesis GLASSES don't fit Genesis-compatible characters with bigger heads

Glampfire GirlGlampfire Girl Posts: 25
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I desperately need glasses for toon characters like Chibi Boy and Girl for Genesis and Sadie/Sam for Genesis among others, but there seems to be a problem with the fit even when choosing to fit to Genesis from the menu.

By the way, the lenses are clear because after fitting the Genesis sunglasses to the character, I choose clear lenses from a Gen4 pair of sunglasses. There seem to be no regular eye glasses for Genesis characters yet.

I have some of the same problems with clothing and hair for Genesis when fitting them to toon Genesis characters too, but I am willing to work with that in Photoshop as needed.

Any ideas for the glasses?

I'm running out of time, and eye glasses that fit well are all I'm missing.

Thanks!

AngB in AZ

Comments

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

I suspect they are taking on some of the underlying morphs of the genesis figure. In the properties tab, after making sure you have hidden properties visible selectively reduce and head/facial morphs on the glasses down to 0 to check effect.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,626
    edited December 1969

Parent them to the head instead of conforming them, then manually scale them to the right size?

• cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Parent them to the head instead of conforming them, then manually scale them to the right size?

This would be my recommendation as well. Additionally, most glasses are props instead of conformers, so this would be the technique regardless. Parenting to Genesis applies for most jewelry items as well.
  • Glampfire GirlGlampfire Girl Posts: 25
    edited May 2013

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. I'm going to work on that today (finally got a day off!) :)

I ended up creating the glasses in Photoshop to meet my deadline, but that won't work as well for the longterm side of things, so I am back on task to master making the glasses work with the character and not just creating them in post for every still.

AngB in AZ

Post edited by Glampfire Girl on
    edited May 2013

Ok Guys, I have been trying to make the glasses work by (1) autofitting and (2) parenting them to the head.

I used Michael for whom they were meant, and they worked perfectly, but when I used them for David, they look like this. If they look this way for David (parented and autofitted), then I'm doomed because of my characters are more different from Michael than David is (like Chibi characters).

I guess I need glasses that are Genesis-compatible clothing instead of a prop.

How do I go about finding someone who can do this? I can't really afford a significant financial investment, so I am feeling stuck. I think such an item would sell like crazy on Daz especially since the aging morphs are here now--and, I mean, people in real life wear glasses, not just sunglasses or handheld steampunk spectacles.

I tried scaling, which I am not very good at, and even though it is time consuming for me, I will continue to do that until I can afford a better solution.

Thanks!

AngB in AZ

GLASSES.png
    1440 x 900 - 923K
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,808
    edited December 1969

Ok Guys, I have been trying to make the glasses work by (1) autofitting and (2) parenting them to the head.

I used Michael for whom they were meant, and they worked perfectly, but when I used them for David, they look like this. If they look this way for David (parented and autofitted), then I'm doomed because of my characters are more different from Michael than David is (like Chibi characters).

No, no! Parented OR Autofitted, not Parented AND Autofitted. Parented glasses will not deform that way because they don't pick up morphs in the same way.

1) Put your character into the scene.

2) Put the glasses into the scene -- DO NOT select the character first. If Autofit appears, click CANCEL.

3) In the Scene tab, expand out your Genesis character until you can see the Head.

4) In the Scene tab tree, click and hold the glasses. Drag on top of the Head. Release. The glasses should now be parented to the head; they will NOT be Autofitted.

5) Because of some weirdnesses with the way Studio handles parenting some things (not all), the glasses may well be above the character's head (or, less frequently, below their feet). If this is the case, go to the Parameters tab and make sure that the X, Y and Z translation sliders are all at ZERO. This should put the glasses in, very very roughly, the right-ish place. You'll then need to tinker a bit with the translation sliders to get everything right, as well as the scale sliders if you're working with a character with a larger head, like H5 or Mavka.

Hope this helps.

edited December 1969

Thanks for the instructions. I followed them.

When I scale the glasses to look good (see first pic), they do not look good from a different angle (see second pic). Am I right, or I am I still doing something wrong?

If I am right, I guess I need to comission some Genesis glasses that work like conforming clothing instead of a prop, correct?

I use the followig Genesis characters: Chibi Boy and Girl, Makva, Sadie, Sam, and all the ones at 3D Universe like Jasmine. Basically, the characters with bigger heads.

scaled3.jpg
    906 x 656 - 105K
    scaled1.jpg
    906 x 656 - 109K
  • cwichuracwichura Posts: 1,042
    edited December 1969

Scale the X/Y/Z axis individually instead of using the generic scale that scales all of them equally. If the prop has hidden the individual X/Y/Z parameters, then enable 'show hidden parameters' in the corner menu.

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited May 2013

Thanks for the instructions. I followed them.

When I scale the glasses to look good (see first pic), they do not look good from a different angle (see second pic). Am I right, or I am I still doing something wrong?

If I am right, I guess I need to comission some Genesis glasses that work like conforming clothing instead of a prop, correct?

I use the followig Genesis characters: Chibi Boy and Girl, Makva, Sadie, Sam, and all the ones at 3D Universe like Jasmine. Basically, the characters with bigger heads.

I have some time tonight. I will work on a pair of glasses for Genesis and put them in the Freepozitory. I've been looking for a mini-project to work on. My current projects are giving me a headache. I already have a pair of glasses made a long time ago for Poser and older generation DAZ characters, so I will just use that as a base and make a Genesis compatible pair.

I don't have the Chibi characters, so testing for them won't be possible. I do have Sadie and Sam, Jasmine and Justin, so I will test on them.

Post edited by Slosh on
    edited May 2013

Brian, you ROCK!! Thank you. I use Mac if that matters.

edited December 1969

Brian, you ROCK!! Thank you. I use Mac if that matters.

Just so you'll know, I didn't forget about this. I've been working on it since 10:00 pm last night. I got a decent pair of glasses made, found out after 10 hours or so of working on them that they really just don't work as a Genesis item unless you only use them on Genesis default morphs. Any special morphs, like V5 or M5, Toons, etc, they crumble very badly. So, I reconfigured it as a smart prop with morphs for all of the figures I own, only to then find out that you can't go from morph to morph and simply dial in the new character. Or at least, it didn't work for me. I had to delete the glasses each time then put them back onto Genesis. Or, rather, not parent them to Genesis, dial in Genesis morph, dial in glasses morph, then parent glasses to Genesis. Too much work for something so simple. But, I will continue to work on them, I just need a break. I am hating them so much right now.

edited December 1969

Yeah, well, thanks for trying. I'm looking forward to seeing what you eventually come up with.
    I'm really looking for some ROUND, wire-rimmed style eye glasses that will work for Genesis toon characters. I uploaded examples of what I could find for Genesis; they aren't round nor are they easily scalable fo rbigger heads. I am hating the fact that I can't find any for my toon characters for a web comic debuting next month. I will post a message to see if anyone knows of any already out there somewhere.

edited December 1969

Yeah, well, thanks for trying. I'm looking forward to seeing what you eventually come up with.
    I'm really looking for some ROUND, wire-rimmed style eye glasses that will work for Genesis toon characters. I uploaded examples of what I could find for Genesis; they aren't round nor are they easily scalable fo rbigger heads. I am hating the fact that I can't find any for my toon characters for a web comic debuting next month. I will post a message to see if anyone knows of any already out there somewhere.

Finally figured it out. Working on morphing Genesis glasses now. SPEX glasses for Genesis