WOW word of warning

ManStanManStan Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Not sure how many people may have had this experience, but as a word of warning if you want to do the WOW demo; play I believe to level 20, use a dummy email. I didn't, with in 48 hours of registration I got swamped with spam, some one tried to hack my paypal account and some one did hack my facebook account. So be forewarned.

Comments

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited December 1969

I guess I'm not at risk. I don't even know what "WOW" is. :ohh:

Ignoring the aftereffects, was the demo itself educational?

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,301
    edited June 2012

WOW = World of Warcraft - online game

Post edited by scorpio on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited June 2012

Oh! An online game. (*sigh*). When walking in snake pits one should expect to get bitten.

I really really just don't understand the need for computer games, Never did! And that applies especially to massive player online games. :ohh: A waste of creative effort on part of the creators and a waste of life for the players. However, that being said... for one brief period of a few years I enjoyed the Myst series of games as they came out. I guess because it was a thinking man's game and not a mindless shoot-em-up, kill every bogey in site and break your thumbs while doing it. %-P

I had my chance to get in on the ground floor of computer games. Back in the 70's a college friend of mine asked me if I wanted to help him make computer games. He went on to found his own game company ( Google "Scott Adams Games") and did pretty well until the Japanese took over the field. But back when he had asked me to join him I looked at him incredulously and said "Games? There's no future in computer games!". I guess I underestimated human banality.

Edited to add: More on Scott Adams for us old farts who remember when computers were little more than rocks on strings : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UUlYErh5CE

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
  • RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited June 2012

So what did we learn today, children?

Millennium Kids: MMOG'S ARE TROLL'S PLAYGROUNDS!! YAAAAAY!!! :'D

Post edited by RCDeschene on
  • McGyverMcGyver Posts: 6,995
    edited December 1969

Cool... A troll's playground! There was one near where I lived when I was a kid... not as safe a a human playground (never see-saw with a troll, unless you want to see what the trees look like from above). The slides are wider though and instead of an ice cream man, they have "whole mutton on a post" guy... er, troll.

• XOTTXOTT Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

IRL - In Real Life
    (7m 20s)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrKjNwejhfg

5.jpg
    640 x 360 - 34K
    4.jpg
    640 x 360 - 29K
    3.jpg
    640 x 360 - 72K
    2.jpg
    640 x 360 - 74K
    1.jpg
    640 x 360 - 59K
  • edited June 2012

I think most of the try beta for the new wow expansion are from those companies that steal wow passwords. Basically they use a real beta key they received from one of their hundreds of accounts, then they send you that key but with a modified email of the one they received. The new email sends you to a cloned site that takes are your info and or puts keyloggers on your comp. After that they steal your other passwords and such.

Great video linked above!

That said, I too had a hard time quitting WOW and it wasnt until I saw how it was affecting my real life that I was able to break away, 3 years in lol. Even then I had a short relapse for about a half year, and then almost another one before finally giving it up. The thing I miss most about the game is not the game itself but the friends I made.

I wonder now though with a real life money auction house(if its in WOW too or just Diablo?) if people can actually make money with wow - at least it would be like a real paying job finally lol specially with all the time people invest into it.

And to the second person who responded, who hasnt heard of World of Warcraft that uses the internet? O.O

Post edited by thatbumzzz_788e56ddf1 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2012

nd to the second person who responded, who hasnt heard of World of Warcraft that uses the internet? O.O

A considerable amount of people.
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • atryeuatryeu Posts: 612
    edited December 1969

I had never heard of it until a few years ago when an old friend bought some expansion or something for it while I was with him :P

I love video games, but I prefer not to play them on the computer for a variety of reasons, and I certainly would never play one of those online ones like that... too many risks involved. I do have a few games for the computer but I don't buy them often.. I prefer console games and the computer more as a "learning" tool. That's what our first computer was meant for (an old Tandy 1000 lol).

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,189
    edited December 1969

Both my kids play it a lot.

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

I play both the free version and the paid for version and don't have the problem that the original poster has.

but I do tend to to have different e-mail accounts for my gaming than for important things like pay-pal. you can also get a smart phone authenticator for WOW to make it more secure and as long as you use good password methodology it helps to keep your accounts a lot more secure

• Norse GraphicsNorse Graphics Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I know the addiction of playing MMORPG's, because when you level up sufficiently, it seems a waste to delete that character. I remember waaay back when I played Earth & Beyond and reached level 145 or so (I think they capped it at 150). Started out as a Terran Trader, and ended up making stuff at 200% (default when you buy stuff is 100%, then you can 'upgrade' when you get the skills to max 200% ). Super-cheap for me to make super-enhanced weapons and shields for friends. They shut it down after 2 years, sadly, by EA. One of the exciting things was when a group could form a formation and do a quest that was impossible to do alone, by sharing firepower and shields. But all in all was powerful enough to go everywhere and pounce the NPC's that dared to rear it's ugly enemy-head. Switched to test the other two factions, but being TT was my favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dwnx5jOXPAw

(Not me, but you get an idea of the game play)

• HellerHeller Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I've never played WOW, but if you're downloading the demo from anywhere other than its official site, you're probably running a big risk. And if this was some sort of hack that was supposed to modify the demo, that's even riskier. Just buy the full game instead of trying to get something for nothing.

• beregarberegar Posts: 245
    edited December 1969

I really really just don't understand the need for computer games, Never did! And that applies especially to massive player online games. :ohh: A waste of creative effort on part of the creators and a waste of life for the players. However, that being said... for one brief period of a few years I enjoyed the Myst series of games as they came out. I guess because it was a thinking man's game and not a mindless shoot-em-up, kill every bogey in site and break your thumbs while doing it. %-P

Personally I don't understand this attitude at all. I mean same could be said about pretty much anything. Honestly this "3D art stuff" is pretty much as much waste of life as playing any MMO is. Actually I know folks who think people who are into any art are wasting their life when they should be focusing on something productive.

The point is that nothing is a waste of time if you accept enjoyment as a reward for it, and most of things are a waste of time if you merely look into how they can fill the basic needs. You can easily scrap things like art, sports, or any sort of other entertainment from the list then and label them as a waste of life because they are not necessary at all. They are merely things that a lot of people enjoy doing.

I could understand if you said you feel computer games are a waste of life for *you* in a similar manner I view for example sports and TV as a waste of life for me. That does not mean they are a waste of life for others. I for one am happy that people have different tastes. Even if I don't play WoW and rarely play games nowadays I'd rather play a game any day than for example watch TV or play sports. No need to get judgemental about other people's enjoyment. 8-/

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    edited December 1969

I always think, if it keeps them off the streets, it is a good thing!

• NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

Heller said:
    I've never played WOW, but if you're downloading the demo from anywhere other than its official site, you're probably running a big risk. And if this was some sort of hack that was supposed to modify the demo, that's even riskier. Just buy the full game instead of trying to get something for nothing.

you get to play to lvl 20 for free to try out the game its like an extended demo, some things like trading and action house are blocked off to stop gold traders. and as far as I know you can only download from the official down-loader.

WOW and Blizzard is very secure but if you don't use good web safe methodologies you will get hacked and thy do tend to go after the big MMO's as a lot of people use the same e-mail password for every thing so if they hack one place there is a good chance they can get in to other accounts.

edited December 1969

I'd played Diablo 2 back in its day through their battle.net a while but generally preferred to play offline. I couldn't stand the constant interruptions from other players always wanting me to rush them. I've stayed away from MMORPG pretty much since then, since it's never always clear in the descriptions if you can actually play the games anymore in offline mode except in a short tutorial mode.

• cosmo71cosmo71 Posts: 3,609
    edited December 1969

yes, it is better they kill avatars and not real people :lol:

edited December 1969

I never played WOW or any other online game and I never will

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

The spam is not from the starter edition specifically, it's because of being registered with Blizzard in general. I pay monthly for the full game, but my gmail is good and filters the shit straight to my spam. I have Blizzard's legitimate addresses added to my allow list.

edited June 2012

Not to nitpick (well maybe), but shouldn't this thread title include an off-topic notice since it's not about anything to do with DAZ?
    And someone reading the title might see WOW as an exclamation, or an abbreviation for Word of Warning, thinking it's a warning about something sold here. As I did.

Post edited by Heller on
    edited June 2012

cosmo71 said:

I've played Counter Strike: Source, Team Fortress 2, and EnB, but that's it. I even made some maps for CS:S in Hammer Editor. Got from there into 3D graphics in general, so you could say Counter Strike sent me to DAZ Studio, in a way.

I've never been into WoW <*shrug*>
    Post edited by Norse Graphics on
    edited December 1969

cosmo71 said:

I've played Counter Strike: Source, Team Fortress 2, and EnB, but that's it. I even made some maps for CS:S in Hammer Editor. Got from there into 3D graphics in general, so you could say Counter Strike sent me to DAZ Studio, in a way.

I've never been into WoW <*shrug*>

an accident brought me to daz and into 3d art :) was searching something at google really can`t remember what but I am sure it had nothing to do with 3d art or rendering but for some reason I was brought to the daz store and when I saw that the software is free I downloaded it just to try what it is...that was it...today I am a daz maniac.

• RCDescheneRCDeschene Posts: 2,799
    edited December 1969

That it does! As well as out of the sun and fresh air and character building extra curricular activities too! :)
  • ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

"The point is that nothing is a waste of time if you accept enjoyment as a reward for it, "

Damn straight.

Any hobby can be considered a wast of time. "I have been playing video games as long as there have been video games" I say that so often I want the copy rights to it lol Really I started play with pong. Since I have been online; about 12 years, I have played 20 or so MMOs, I don't watch TV because 3/4 of it is crap; formulaic and repetitive. I'm not doing much CG because what I want to do I can't any more because DAZ broke it, so I play games.

At present I am unemployed; diagnosed with emphysema last October, so I had to give up my job at the grain elevator. Of coarse I fell through the crack on that one, not disabled but as the job service has said "unemployable". Fun stuff.

I used to be real careful with on line games, I have 2 dummy email accounts for them. But it had been so long since I had any issues that I had got out of the habit of using them. The people at WOW said it wasn't them some one probably hacked my facebook account then tried my paypal, but that doesn't explain the avalanche of spam that flooded my email.

None the less, as a word of warning, always use a dummy email for online games.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Oh! An online game. (*sigh*). When walking in snake pits one should expect to get bitten.

Oh good I am not alone. Give me a Myst based game any day and I will show you happiness. :)

• Kendall SearsKendall Sears Posts: 2,995
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

Oh good I am not alone. Give me a Myst based game any day and I will show you happiness. :)

Happiness is writing the game/code and considering it a challenge when the users "find ways to break it" or "work around your so carefully thought out limitations." That becomes a game in itself. Person vs Person. It is most fun when one is up against someone more skillful at working around/breaking through the code than I am at writing it. Sort of a Holmes/Moriarty scenario. :-)

Kendall

edited December 1969

Szark said:

Try Portal and Portal 2...
  • XOTTXOTT Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

800415-lolcat-army.jpg
    650 x 366 - 52K
    lolcat_wow.jpg
    500 x 375 - 36K
    lolcatWow.jpg
    500 x 390 - 36K
    funny-pictures-your-cat-is-almost-level-68.jpg
    500 x 326 - 30K
    128969179316988854.jpg
    500 x 334 - 39K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

Try Portal and Portal 2...

Yeah I have been tempted as most Myst fans seems to enjoy it and voice their opinions on the Myst Online forums. May be one day I will delve in.