LUX render - give it to me straight

2»

Comments

• AdemnusAdemnus Posts: 744
    edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    Not wanting to push too much down your throat at once, but go check out callad's free Reality=based lighting props at ShareCG they are really rather very good!

no, no, I appreciate everything, really. But I dont have reality. Is this useable in lux?

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    oh, another question. Once I send the scene to LUX and it begins rendering, can i close daz studio or compose a new scene within it?

Sure! :-)
    I'm rendering right now and have not opened DAZ Studio today.

that's stunning. I mean, as it is, luz is zero drain on my system, unlike ds4. Im blown away.

Tiny problem. I made the plane, as you said, ticked off the right boxes and buttons as you directed, and this is what I got.

the second image is how it looks in preview. I tried it twice, second time I added white ambient to the plane thinking that was the problem, but both ended up with the same results.

Hmm... Try rotating the plane, it could be that the normals are pointing to the other direction. Its a common mistake with planes.

edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    Hellboy said:
    oh, another question. Once I send the scene to LUX and it begins rendering, can i close daz studio or compose a new scene within it?

Sure! :-)
    I'm rendering right now and have not opened DAZ Studio today.

that's stunning. I mean, as it is, luz is zero drain on my system, unlike ds4. Im blown away.

Tiny problem. I made the plane, as you said, ticked off the right boxes and buttons as you directed, and this is what I got.

the second image is how it looks in preview. I tried it twice, second time I added white ambient to the plane thinking that was the problem, but both ended up with the same results.

Hmm... Try rotating the plane, it could be that the normals are pointing to the other direction. Its a common mistake with planes.

Ah interesting. Ok, lets say I make a new plane. it appears flat on the "ground." Are the normals pointing upward from the top face of the plane? if so, you're right, because I just lifted it straight up and its bottom is pointing at the figure ><</p>

edited December 1969

ooooooooooh yeah that was the problem.

Let me first say, "WOW."

And second... thank you!! I will be very, very addicted to this.

edited December 1969

Yeah, it's easy to forget which side goes where... :P

edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    Yeah, it's easy to forget which side goes where... :P

my only real questions at this stage are; when does it finish rendering? At this point, 42 minutes into the render, I can't even see a difference as it progresses. Does it finish and beep or something or does it just render for all eternity until i say, "yeah, that's good enough."

• islandgurl31islandgurl31 Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

It keeps rendering until you feel that it is good enough. Lux does not stop it goes on into infinity...lol.

edited December 1969

It keeps rendering until you feel that it is good enough. Lux does not stop it goes on into infinity...lol.

lol seriously??

edited December 1969

It just render for all eternity until you say, “yeah, that’s good enough". :)

It might look like its not doing anything, but the more you leave it, the cleaner the image. Of course, there will be a point were you won't be able to notice any difference anymore if the image is clean enough.
    Reflections and shiny surfaces are the ones that needs more time.
    But yeah, its up to you to decide when it's good enough.

edited May 2013

Hellboy said:
    It just render for all eternity until you say, “yeah, that’s good enough". :)

It might look like its not doing anything, but the more you leave it, the cleaner the image. Of course, there will be a point were you won't be able to notice any difference anymore if the image is clean enough.
    Reflections and shiny surfaces are the ones that needs more time.
    But yeah, its up to you to decide when it's good enough.

So glad I thought to ask that lol.

Hmm does it save .png with transparent backgrounds? I can't seem to figure how to do that ><</p>

BTW your artwork is absolutely mind blowing.

Post edited by Ademnus on
    edited December 1969

Thank you!
    It saves as PNG, but for a transparent background you turn on the Pre Multiply Alpha in the render settings. :)

edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    Thank you!
    It saves as PNG, but for a transparent background you turn on the Pre Multiply Alpha in the render settings. :)

I'll have to check that out in the morning, Thank you so much for all your help with my newbie questions. Youve been a HUGE help!

• SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

sgreco, there are some preset lights for Luxus if you installed the Luxus content when you purchased. I nearly always use the "2 area lights" preset when doing test renders. They just seem to be in the perfect spot. Also, when you get to the point when you are looking for tips on skin, eyes, etc, check out this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/20918/

You will probably never want to render in 3delight again.

edited May 2013

Slosh said:
    sgreco, there are some preset lights for Luxus if you installed the Luxus content when you purchased. I nearly always use the "2 area lights" preset when doing test renders. They just seem to be in the perfect spot. Also, when you get to the point when you are looking for tips on skin, eyes, etc, check out this thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/20918/

You will probably never want to render in 3delight again.

agreed. I am sold. Im glad I took the plunge; I was very fearful of a new learning curve -but now its changed my renders forever.

what im not seeing is a "save as" button to save my renders. I see 'export to image' but its just a list of checkboxes. There's a copy to clipboard but that doesnt help. How do i save a render as png and various types?

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945
    edited May 2013

Yes, the light prop[s will work with Luxus as well as Reality - you will need, however, to manually intervene to set light emitting properties on the props (Reality auto-recognises certain keywords in the naming of items).

A handy hint for the 'where the frack did my render go?' question: in Daz Studio, with the Render settings dialog active (Shift-Ctrl-R, or Render> Render Settings from mneu) you have a section in the General part of the dialog in a frame titled "Render To: " Under there you can specify a couple of things, primarily there are a pair of radio buttons for "New Window" or "Image File". It is best to select "Image File" here, then you can specify a name in the following text box, and a folder in which to save the data in the following control.

Giving a name and a target folder will pass that on to LuxRender which will use that folder and name to store the working files, otherwise the Daz Studio temporary directory will be used (meaning they may well be cleared out when Daz Studio closes). The name the files will be given will also be what you spcify as opposed to the Daz Studio supplied temporary file name (of the forn d??? where ??? is a number). Much easier to keep track of! :)

Oh, and LuxRender will, periodically, save out the ongoing .png image (the save period being adjustable in the Luxus UI -" Write Image Interval"). You can also have Luxus tell LuxRender to save the 'working files' ("Write Resume Film" and "Write Film File Interval") which will enable you to resume the render at a later time if you so wish. I'd recommend adjusting the write intervals upwards so that less time is spent on disk I/O and more on doing the render :)

When you think a render is 'done', pause/stop the render in LuxRender and use File> Save & Exit to make sure the final version of the files are written out.

Post edited by SimonJM on
    edited May 2013

got it, thanks!

Hmm one final question should do me for awhile.

How do I get my characters' spec maps to show in a lux render?

EDIT

Ok and a second final question lol.

I just exported a clothed character to lux. His hair is textured in the render, but SOME of his clothes are blank white! others are textured.

I turned on "collect textures" but no dice.

edited December 1969

got it, thanks!

I am assuming you mean after converting to a Lux material like glossy-translucent. They should show just by putting them in the spec color channel, make sure you have a color no lower than mid gray (128,128,128) and not pure white. Then, adjust the roughness to between .20 and .40 depending on how shiny you want the skin. Also, if your bump map is too high, the spec will not show and it will look like sandpaper.

If you are just talking about auto-converted materials, then you usually have to lower the specular strength to about 25% (this is in the DAZ materials section)

edited May 2013

Slosh said:
    got it, thanks!

I am assuming you mean after converting to a Lux material like glossy-translucent. They should show just by putting them in the spec color channel, make sure you have a color no lower than mid gray (128,128,128) and not pure white. Then, adjust the roughness to between .20 and .40 depending on how shiny you want the skin. Also, if your bump map is too high, the spec will not show and it will look like sandpaper.

If you are just talking about auto-converted materials, then you usually have to lower the specular strength to about 25% (this is in the DAZ materials section)

No, im talking about skin maps on people. I dont see any of their spec showing up on their skin in the renders. Usually, in 3delight, id add a light with spec only on it but how do I handle this in lux?

notice his pants are textured but his jewelry is appearing white. Also, he should have a specular sheen on his body that isnt showing up

elf1.png
    1900 x 1425 - 2M
    edited December 1969

Check that the things 'turning white' do not have 'procedural shaders' applied to them in Daz Studio - pretty much anything beyond the in-built DAZ standard shaders and the various Uber* shaders will cause any of the non-3Delight render engines to 'ignore' them with the effect they tend to render as plain white and without texture.

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    Check that the things 'turning white' do not have 'procedural shaders' applied to them in Daz Studio - pretty much anything beyond the in-built DAZ standard shaders and the various Uber* shaders will cause any of the non-3Delight render engines to 'ignore' them with the effect they tend to render as plain white and without texture.

nope, just plain old texture maps.

edited December 1969

Have you used Luxus materials for the jewelry or leaving them as 'auto-convert' with the supplied Daz Studio materials? If the former make sure you also check the 'copy Daz materials' box on the Luxus surface application dialog (and double check the diffuse, at least, has been copied across). If not, check the glossiness and ambient settings. What item are they, if I have them I'll give them a try out.

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    Have you used Luxus materials for the jewelry or leaving them as 'auto-convert' with the supplied Daz Studio materials? If the former make sure you also check the 'copy Daz materials' box on the Luxus surface application dialog (and double check the diffuse, at least, has been copied across). If not, check the glossiness and ambient settings. What item are they, if I have them I'll give them a try out.

I didnt do anything to the materials.

Theyre the jewelry from http://www.daz3d.com/rm-elven

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited May 2013

got it, thanks!

EDIT

I just exported a clothed character to lux. His hair is textured in the render, but SOME of his clothes are blank white! others are textured.

Under Specular color on some materials you can apply a texture. Simply plug in the specular map there and you'll get the desired effect. Though, note that even with specular maps you'll want to tone down the specular, ideally no more than about a grey value of 64 all over. That's because Lux deals in more realistic terms, and a very white area can give very unnatural results, since it controls the amount of light the object is reflecting.

Compatible materials include:

Carpaint
    Cloth
    Glossy
    Glossy Translucent
    Shiny Metal

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
    edited December 1969

Strange - can't see the jewelry props/figures listed on that! In any event I don't have them so can't help by trying them out, sorry.

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    Strange - can't see the jewelry props/figures listed on that! In any event I don't have them so can't help by trying them out, sorry.

oh wait, they just used them in the promo. As i recall I had to write to that artist and ask what product he used and then found it; I dont even remember which it was, sadly. At any rate, it seems odd they come out white instead of taking in their texture maps. Hmm

edited December 1969

got it, thanks!

EDIT

Under Specular color on some materials you can apply a texture. Simply plug in the specular map there and you'll get the desired effect. Though, note that even with specular maps you'll want to tone down the specular, ideally no more than about a grey value of 64 all over. That's because Lux deals in more realistic terms, and a very white area can give very unnatural results, since it controls the amount of light the object is reflecting.

Compatible materials include:

Carpaint
    Cloth
    Glossy
    Glossy Translucent
    Shiny Metal

Im talking about skin on people. And, forgive me, but im so new to using lux -where is this specular color menu that Id be applying the texture?

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:

oh wait, they just used them in the promo. As i recall I had to write to that artist and ask what product he used and then found it; I dont even remember which it was, sadly. At any rate, it seems odd they come out white instead of taking in their texture maps. Hmm

If I ever get lots (it happens a lot!) about who made or what is a product and it's not immediately obvious from the name I often check the path to the diffuse texture (by using the browse option in the surfaces tab). That can often give a good idea of the product or who made it; doubtless there are better ways! :)

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:

It's a "bracelet" from the Giacomo for M4 character set. It does not load with any textures applied, you have to add them through matpose files. That said, even with textures applied, they render white in Lux unless you lower the specular color to a dark gray (about 64,64,64) as HeraldOfFire pointed out.