Anyone know why my computer shuts off during a render in DS4.5?

SinisterOathSinisterOath Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

My drivers are all up to date, I have more than enough ram, and a pretty powerful CPU. But my computer just completely shuts off (like unplugging it) whenever I render an image in Daz Studio 4.5 64bit. I can play loads of graphically intense games without this problem. Does anyone know what could be the problem? I can post more info if need be but I just posted the basics below.

Here's my specs...

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD FX-8350 56 °C
8-core 4.60GHz
RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (11-11-11-30)
Memory
Type DDR3
Size 32768 MBytes
Channels # Dual
DRAM Frequency 666.7 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 11 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 11 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 11 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 30 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 39 clocks
Physical Memory
Memory Usage 11 %
Total Physical 32 GB
Available Physical 28 GB
Total Virtual 64 GB
Available Virtual 60 GB
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-970A-UD3 (Socket M2) 45 °C
Graphics
GeForce GT 630 (MSI) 44 °C
Virtual Memory 4GB
Power Supply
AZZA Dynamo 850W

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

My first guess would be overheating.

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

you have an eight core machine... so I think there's a way to back up fixmypcmike's theory. Try using the 3Delight stand alone to render. It's limited to two cores, so it should use less power on your machine.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Or download Speedfan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

• SinisterOathSinisterOath Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

My first guess would be overheating.

I think you guys might be right.

Temperatures while running DS 4.5

CPU: 49 °C
    Motherboard: 41 °C
    GPU: 40 °C

Temperatures while rendering 682 x 852 image

CPU: 77 °C
    Motherboard: 41 °C
    GPU: 41 °C

Strange part is my pc has a liquid CPU cooling system and ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fans with Push-Pull Airflow which regulate the temperatures fine during games like Battlefield 3. Do you think this has something to do with the way 3Delight allocates the resources when rendering or the fact that my graphics card is the weakest part of my system, possibly forcing a strain on the CPU? I took your advice and downloaded Speedfan. Hopefully this will fix the problem.

• Kevin SandersonKevin Sanderson Posts: 1,643
    edited December 1969

Graphics cards have no effect on 3Delight renders. It is totally CPU. It's natural to see it running with full CPU usage. Make sure you have nothing blocking your vents. I don't know too much about water cooled systems and why you'd have high temperatures but it sounds like the cooling system may have an issue as I always see reports of much cooler temperatures with water cooled systems when the CPU is being stressed.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

A couple of people I have talked to seem to think that there could possibly be a problem with your heat sink

Sounds as if the heat sink is not properly in contact with the CPU, probably too much/too little/wrong thermal grease (in my highly inexpert opinion)

and Liquid cooled and That hits? Has to be bad coupling of the heat sink.