800 x 640 - 515K
  • KinichKinich Posts: 857
    edited December 1969

Look what I found hiding in my archive.

Bee-1.jpg
    800 x 533 - 397K
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Love the flying shots, Mallard pretty good but the Common Tern is a beauty.

Did you train that House Sparrow to pose like that becasue that is another fine shot.

I have bird feeders just about everywhere I can in our small 30 foot square garden. We get so many birds in that we often see a sparrow hawk lurking.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,351
    edited December 1969

I have a couple shots of a bee but this one is much better than mine. I couldn't get close enough. This you you can see the pollen sticking to the body which is just great.

edited December 1969

Szark

Thanks the Common Tern (I'll take your word for it, I can recognise some birds but I'm far from an expert) is cropped (even with a 500mm lens) and was taken at Ranworth Broad in Norfolk. Its one of those hidden away little gems that is off the main tourist trail. They have a two storey hide/shop/snack bar at the edge of the broad, this shot was taken from one of the upstairs windows. It's about a 20-30 minute walk from the free (well it was last time I was there) car park at the edge of Malthouse Broad.

The Sparrow was a grab shot at Maldon (on the Essex coast) from about 3m away according to the Exif data, the reeds are at the edge of a large wildlife pond with paths all around it and the birds appear to be fairly used to people passing by so you can get some pretty good close up shots even with a moderate lens (this is a cropped shot taken at 135mm).

We're heading north this summer to York and plan a trip out to Dalby Forest drive, somewhere we've been before and when we were there we had all sorts of small birds (finches, sparrows and goodness knows what else) stealing crumbs from our picnic table whilst we were still eating, unfortunately I didn't have my camera to hand, a truly cardinal sin for a keen photographer.

Frank

Thanks, the bee was the best shot out of a couple of dozen taken in the castle gardens in Bridgenorth in Shropshire, a place best know for being the north end of the Severn Valley Railway (a steam heritage line) and its funicular railway. I took this with a Sigma 150mm Macro lens that I've had a for a few years now and a great lens for these sort of shots, this particular shot is un-cropped & taken at 440mm according to the Exif data. This particular bush was covered in bees, a lot of the other people in the gardens seem to be avoiding it for some reason, don't know why.

• pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited June 2012

Nice pics, Kinich, and I have to say I absolutely love the Norfolk Broads, would love to live on a boat there.
    It's actually one of the few places In England I'd want to live, I absolutely love the place.

Post edited by pumeco on
    edited December 1969

Thanks pumeco, we are lucky enough to live close enough to make day trips to the Broads feasible. A good few years ago (and a few more) I spent a holiday on the broads with some friends, though we tended to just cruise from pub to pub to pub rather than take photos, , lots of which have their own moorings so we'd arrive in the late afternoon, tie up and have a few drinks, sometimes we even ate, then crash-out on the boat until we woke up the next morning and headed onto another pub for lunch before finding somewhere to spend the night again, oh to be young again!

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

itty bitty baby squirrel

baby-squirrel.jpg
    800 x 600 - 210K
    edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    Nice pics, Kinich, and I have to say I absolutely love the Norfolk Broads, would love to live on a boat there.
    It's actually one of the few places In England I'd want to live, I absolutely love the place.
    Ditto

Yes it is a common tern. I have been a serious bird watcher for over 20 years. I have even taken shots of nesting terns. One day I may get all my old photos digitised.

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    pumeco said:
    Ditto

Yes it is a common tern. I have been a serious bird watcher for over 20 years. I have even taken shots of nesting terns. One day I may get all my old photos digitised.

I only watch the silly birds, the serious ones don't sound fun to watch

• MysticBlueRavenMysticBlueRaven Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I was very lucky this day , to be able to see the baby cardinal leaving the nest and taking his or hers photos.

Baby_Cardinal4.jpg
    576 x 768 - 134K
    Baby_Cardinal3.jpg
    576 x 768 - 149K
    Baby_Cardinal2.jpg
    576 x 768 - 128K
    Baby_Cardinal1a.jpg
    800 x 600 - 475K
    edited December 1969

Kinich said:
    sometimes we even ate

In other words you were all on the pull - lol

But yup, I know what you mean. I read a lot of stuff about the Norfolk Broads and it's clearly a paradise for bird lovers. My dad was a bird fanatic and when they took a holiday there, they loved it. It's because of that holiday I suppose you could say I fell in love with the place. It was me who had to drive them there and picked them back up when the holiday was over. It was two long trips for me, but I didn't mind after I'd seen the place!

They had use of a little boat so I was able to have a go on it while I was there, and that was that, I've been smitten ever since. Just seems like a very different, much nicer world on a boat on the broads. I suppose the same is true for any waterway really. I know I'd happily live on even a very small cabin cruiser on the broads or indeed any waterway in Europe. It's the lifestyle that attracts me, the freedom of it.

As for the birds, I'm not as knowledgeable as you lot are, but one bird I would like to spot is the Greater Breasted Norfolk Deck Warbler which is said to be making a comeback now that the summers in Norfolk are getting hotter. They're quite a rarity on the broads but they're actually quite easy to identify because they have long legs and often use the decks of the boats as a sun trap.

Not my photo, but here's a couple of Greater Breasted Norfolk Deck Warblers:
    http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/4065/PreviewComp/SuperStock_4065-5375.jpg

edited December 1969

ROFLOL I am not saying anything on the grounds it may incriminate me. Oh the quips reeling around my mind now is hard to handle. :) I'M OFF BEFORE I SAY SOMETHING I SHOULDN'T

edited December 1969

Yeah, but I bet even the most hardcore of bird fanatics fell for that one :lol:

edited December 1969

I didn't need the image to figure it out and it only took a second. Got to get up earlier than that to fool me dude. :)

edited December 1969

It seems to have gone a bit quiet so I thought I might post a couple more pictures, taken a couple of weeks back in the gardens of a local stately house.

Iris-2.jpg
    640 x 800 - 427K
    Iris-1.jpg
    800 x 640 - 412K
  • Thadeus72Thadeus72 Posts: 408
    edited June 2012

very nice shot kinicth

love the first one

Post edited by Thadeus72 on
    edited December 1969

Bearded Irises, Nice shots again Kinich

edited December 1969

Thanks thadeus72 & Szark.

Yes, bearded Irises, I am rather partial to Irises & they make good subjects for photographs, interesting shapes and details and some some striking colours, but also some more subdued pastel colours like the second shot above. The gardens where I took the two above have quiet a selection on display.

edited December 1969

Some more, taken last summer in Snowdonia. The weather was very changeable, but we got lucky on the day we picked to go up Snowdon, the second shot is from the top, and yes we cheated and took the train.

Snowdonia-4.jpg
    800 x 533 - 455K
    Snowdonia-3.jpg
    800 x 533 - 451K
    Snowdonia-2.jpg
    800 x 500 - 263K
    Snowdonia-1.jpg
    533 x 800 - 473K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Super photo's. You were indeed lucky. I have to admit the only time we were in that area we also took the train.

You sould venture done this end of Wales one day, and take a trip on the Brecon Mountain Railway. Although it doesn't take you up the highest mountain, it does still have some very photogenic scenery along the route.

• music2u4umusic2u4u Posts: 2,822
    edited July 2013

Here are a few I took:

:-)

Caterpillar1.jpg
    972 x 1445 - 657K
    streetdance.jpg
    775 x 478 - 172K
    atlanta.jpg
    767 x 509 - 230K
    lagoon1.jpg
    771 x 459 - 188K
    kittens.jpg
    771 x 509 - 187K
    Post edited by music2u4u on
    edited December 1969

I knew there was a photo thread I had posted in a while back (thought it would be better to use the old thread rather than start a new one just for this), I just didn't realise how long ago it was so here it is back from the dead end of the forum with a bit of thread necromancy, and we'll have to see how long this long dead thread can be kept shambling along this time,. So to start the ball rolling here's a quick grab shot I took the other evening (and is now my desktop, 1680x1050 if anybody else has an urge to use it as the same then please do so but please don't repost anywhere).

This a quick shot I took of Sparkie, one of two young cats we have recently rehomed, apart from their tendency to regularly sleep in the beds bought for them (somewhat uncatlike in my experience) Sparkie in particular likes to sleep in slightly unusual positions.

It made me laugh out loud so I just had to post it.

Oh, to be young & flexible again, not that I was ever that flexible.

Sparkie-Sleeping-LR-PSB2013.jpg
    1680 x 1050 - 487K
    edited December 1969

Okay, here are some more serious photographs, all taken last weekend on a visit to Hatfield Forest, a local National Trust site just up the road from us.

Squirrel_-_Hatfield_Forest_2013_-_PSB.jpg
    1600 x 1143 - 1M
    Damselfly_-_Hatfield_Forest_2013_-_PSB.jpg
    1600 x 1143 - 980K
    Butterfly_2_-_Hatfield_Forest_2013_-_PSB.jpg
    1600 x 1600 - 898K
    Butterfly_1_-_Hatfield_Forest_2013_-_PSB.jpg
    1600 x 1143 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Kinich said:
    I knew there was a photo thread I had posted in a while back (thought it would be better to use the old thread rather than start a new one just for this), I just didn't realise how long ago it was so here it is back from the dead end of the forum with a bit of thread necromancy, and we'll have to see how long this long dead thread can be kept shambling along this time,. So to start the ball rolling here's a quick grab shot I took the other evening (and is now my desktop, 1680x1050 if anybody else has an urge to use it as the same then please do so but please don't repost anywhere).

This a quick shot I took of Sparkie, one of two young cats we have recently rehomed, apart from their tendency to regularly sleep in the beds bought for them (somewhat uncatlike in my experience) Sparkie in particular likes to sleep in slightly unusual positions.

It made me laugh out loud so I just had to post it.

Oh, to be young & flexible again, not that I was ever that flexible.

You were that flexiable you just didn't know as you were asleep. :- )

Great photos. And on the cat front I love the new O2 add over here...Be a bit more DOG! hoooowlllllllllllllllll

edited December 1969

ANd of course Pete you just knew that some people, like me who has no TV, would have to go find that ad.

Great Photo's Kinich, Your cat is really unusual using the bed provided, the only time any of mine have done that is when the bed was provided fro the Dog.

edited December 1969

LOL never crossed my evil mind chohole

edited July 2013

Of course it didn't

One of my current cats, when younger, already laying claim to people places You can almost see the thought going through her head "I got here first, you go sit somewhere else"

steffi_close.jpg
    800 x 600 - 227K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited December 1969

Of course it didin't Szark.. you really want us to believe that dear? *insert wickedly teasing smile*

I raise you a couple of pics of my (former) ferrets for that one Szark *wink*

1. Kotetsu was wanting to help me unpack after I had moved into this place... never mind the fact that most of it was put there to be thrown away *laughs* Atleast he had a lot of fun making a mess.

2. Had a small outhouse that used to be use for hens, but after doing some work on it, including making it "safe from escapes" the ferrets got a new house which they loved *smiles* And no matter what we did, there were always one or two that managed to find a way to sneak out now and than, darn rascals *laughs*

20091118_009_ferretgang_eagle_co.jpg
    1800 x 1800 - 468K
    20100116_001_kotetsu_co.jpg
    1800 x 1600 - 295K
    edited December 1969

Carola O said:
    Of course it didin't Szark.. you really want us to believe that dear? *insert wickedly teasing smile*

I raise you a couple of pics of my (former) ferrets for that one Szark *wink*

1. Kotetsu was wanting to help me unpack after I had moved into this place... never mind the fact that most of it was put there to be thrown away *laughs* Atleast he had a lot of fun making a mess.

2. Had a small outhouse that used to be use for hens, but after doing some work on it, including making it "safe from escapes" the ferrets got a new house which they loved *smiles* And no matter what we did, there were always one or two that managed to find a way to sneak out now and than, darn rascals *laughs*

Ferrets are like that. Both in the "helping" and in the escaping. We built a purpose built frret court, with a concrete base and the wire set in below the level of the base, but the little beggars still got out on occasion. Unfortunately all my ferret photos, in fact most of my photos, are on film, and I need a new scanner as the one I have is way old and won't work with my new system.