Maddening!!

MADMANMIKEMADMANMIKE Posts: 407
edited December 1969 in The Commons

So I've done quite well with DazStudio 2.3 for the past several years, limited to that because my MacBook wouldn't run any later version. I'm quite comfortable with the interface and have never regretted my move from Poser 6 to D|S..

Until now. I got my settlement for the accident I had in 2011 and went out to upgrade my system. A Brand new MacBook Pro with 1GB of VRAM and a Quad core processor running OS 10.7.5.. I was psyched, until I downloaded D|S 4 and discovered that the migration of my old runtimes didn't take.

Not entirely, they do show up, but many of my DAZ products don't cross over. David 3 is my primary figure and none of his morphs will register..

And then I thought I'd dive into Genesis (finally) so I popped the $30 bucks for the bundle of Gen3 shapes so I could keep using my massive content library... I've installed it three times with varying install options, but D|S 4 STILL DOESN'T SHOW THEM!!!

So please step back from the high horse of having used Genesis for a couple of years and someone let me know what I'm doing wrong? I'm not looking forward to installing 87+GB of content from scratch... The time I'll lose in productivity alone would be crushing..

help? :long:

Comments

• edited December 1969

I don't know how to help you migrate your content, though I'm sure someone else will come along to help. Have you considered using the DIM install manager? It works quite well and makes installing your new products so much easier.

• anikadanikad Posts: 1,919
    edited December 1969

I need to check but I think you have to go to the shaping tab to find them with Genesis loaded.

• KatteyKattey Posts: 2,899
    edited May 2013

So please step back from the high horse of having used Genesis for a couple of years and someone let me know what I'm doing wrong? I'm not looking forward to installing 87+GB of content from scratch... The time I'll lose in productivity alone would be crushing..

help? :long:

Load Genesis on scene and select full Genesis figure, not a bodypart. I'm using DS 4.5.1.6 and for me Iconic Shapes are located under Actor/Female/Real World or Actor/Male/Real World. You can access Actor from either Parameter or Shaping Tab. Additionally, separate Iconic head morphs are also under Actor/Head/Female/Real World or Actor/Head/Male/Real World.
    Post edited by Kattey on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Unlike the older figures you don't need to inject morphs in Genesis -- they're all there when you load a new Genesis. The dials are in the Parameters or Shaping panes.

edited December 1969

Unlike the older figures you don't need to inject morphs in Genesis -- they're all there when you load a new Genesis. The dials are in the Parameters or Shaping panes.

Yes, this is important feature too. As soon as you installed morphs, you can use them in Genesis.
  • MADMANMIKEMADMANMIKE Posts: 407
    edited December 1969

As you can see in this screenshot, I have the total body selected, and there is no listing for the body shapes of V3 or M3; also note on the left further proof that they've been installed in that the directory actually shows the uninstallers.. I can't imagine why they would as 1, I didn't want the blasted uninstallers on my computer, and 2, I can't access them through the program..

As to DlM, I'm in rural Missouri where it costs $20 a month for 'high speed internet, up to 1.5MB" that is actually averaging about 200k...

I just spoke with a friend and he said it took him 3 days to reinstall all his content when he got a new computer... and he's only been collecting content for half as long as I have...

Screen_Shot_2013-05-03_at_3.11_.13_PM_.png
    1440 x 900 - 317K
  • RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

It looks a bit strange that you see the uninstaller directories in the Content Library pane. Can you post perhaps a screenshots of how both the Daz Studio and Poser directories are setup in the Content Directory Manager? It might just be an issue with wrong entries there.

• GreycatGreycat Posts: 332
    edited December 1969

Let me guess you don't have Gen-x right?

edited December 1969

Greycat said:
    Let me guess you don't have Gen-x right?

Gen-X? I don't know what you mean.. I've got all of generations 1, 2, 3, and 4...

And all of my content is in Poser Directories.. I started on Poser so that's where I install them, in my specific Poser directories.. One for Daz Folk, one for Clothing, one for Armor and Weapons, one for Animals, etc..

So now I'm thinking I just answered my own question.. Because none of my DAZ figures were actually installed directly to D|S before this Shapes for Genesis, it doesn't know what to do...

Alright, here comes the longest most excruciating weekend I've had since I woke up in the Hospital on a Friday in traction 17 months ago... And now I don't have a morphine drip to ease the pain...

edited December 1969

Oh, I don't suppose anyone knows of a way to import my D|S 2.3 content library to D|S 4, do they? I mean the years worth of saved files of full scenes and ready made characters, not base content..

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited December 1969

Oh, I don't suppose anyone knows of a way to import my D|S 2.3 content library to D|S 4, do they? I mean the years worth of saved files of full scenes and ready made characters, not base content..

When I did the switch from DS3 to DS4 I basically only pointed DS4 to the same directory I already had and it worked quite well for me. I am not sure if DS2 is different in that regard though.

edited December 1969

http://www.daz3d.com/software/plugins-utilities/genesis-generation-x
    You'll need this plugin to transfer the morphs to genisis, which is what I assume you want to do.
    http://www.daz3d.com/software/plugins-utilities/genx-addon-gen3-bundle Is this what you purchased.
    AFIK content from DAZ 2.3 will not work in DAZ 4.5, sorry it's just too old (too many changes)

• KinnieMKinnieM Posts: 130
    edited May 2013

Why not have both versions of Daz studio installed? That way you can still access and render your older scenes and still take advantage of all the newest bells and whistles with Daz 4.5 and Genesis.

As for the morphs that you purchased not showing up when Genesis is selected I have to ask if you installed the bundle of Genesis Gen 3 morphs to the exact same place as where you installed Genesis?

If you didn't then it won't be a part of Genesis as all of its morphs are installed into the Genesis data folder. That is found under Daz/Studio/My Library/ (all other folders including the runtime for daz studio as well as the data folder are found here).

Post edited by KinnieM on
    edited May 2013

Let me guess you don’t have Gen-x right?

Greycat, he doesn't need Gen-X to solve his current problem. The problem as I see it is that Genesis doesn't see additional installed morphs. There are products called Iconic Shapes for Genesis (for various Gen 3 and Gen 4 morphs) and we spoke about using those.

MADMANMIKE, I'm not sure about your folder structure, but I installed Genesis Essential into external runtime, say, C:\Content_DS45, and I installed all Genesis morphs into the same folder, and they show for me. Don't forget to map that folder with F2 (Preferences) -> Content Library

You can map your DS 2 content folder (both Poser and DS if you had them) in the same place in DS 4.5 without need to reinstall everything. Older lights and shaders might not work or work differently (like pwSurface) but many were updated for DS 4.5 and you can only install new versions.

Post edited by Kattey on
  • ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited May 2013

As you can see in this screenshot, I have the total body selected, and there is no listing for the body shapes of V3 or M3; also note on the left further proof that they've been installed in that the directory actually shows the uninstallers.. I can't imagine why they would as 1, I didn't want the blasted uninstallers on my computer, and 2, I can't access them through the program..

As to DlM, I'm in rural Missouri where it costs $20 a month for 'high speed internet, up to 1.5MB" that is actually averaging about 200k...

I just spoke with a friend and he said it took him 3 days to reinstall all his content when he got a new computer... and he's only been collecting content for half as long as I have...

Where at in Missouri. I live in Belton, which is just south of KC.

Post edited by ledhead on
    edited December 1969

Ledhead said:

I actually live in Cuba, about 95 miles down 44 from St. Louis. But I grew up a stone's throw from Truman Corners right on Blue Ridge and went to High School at Shawnee Mission East. Until last year my parents lived just off Red Bridge, but now live in Raytown..

I did the math and it should only take about nine hours of non-stop downloading to reinstall all my DAZ content.. I have 2.3 installed next to 4, but the DAZ content is not loading from the migration.. I've always installed with the Poser installers, I guess I'll have to switch to D|S entirely now..

Graycat, no I don't have Generation X, but it's certainly going on my wishlist.. I have no problem using the old Gen 3 figures instead of Genesis in the mean time. For the past few years my Platinum Club membership has been largely wasted as I've watched more and more of the content coming out be for Genesis which I couldn't use. Now in theory I can start playing catch-up.. In theory since I'm now making about 1/3 of what I was when I really couldn't afford to buy much in the past..

Thanks for all the help guys. I spent the evening with my old computer helping one of the Autistic people I work with design 3D versions of the super hero team he drew years ago.. They're all based on David 3, and represent different elements; WildFire, Tsunami, Earthquake and Lightning Rod. Hopefully I can get things up and running on this computer this weekend to have him a finished version by Monday..

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Ledhead said:

I actually live in Cuba, about 95 miles down 44 from St. Louis. But I grew up a stone's throw from Truman Corners right on Blue Ridge and went to High School at Shawnee Mission East. Until last year my parents lived just off Red Bridge, but now live in Raytown..

I did the math and it should only take about nine hours of non-stop downloading to reinstall all my DAZ content.. I have 2.3 installed next to 4, but the DAZ content is not loading from the migration.. I've always installed with the Poser installers, I guess I'll have to switch to D|S entirely now..

Graycat, no I don't have Generation X, but it's certainly going on my wishlist.. I have no problem using the old Gen 3 figures instead of Genesis in the mean time. For the past few years my Platinum Club membership has been largely wasted as I've watched more and more of the content coming out be for Genesis which I couldn't use. Now in theory I can start playing catch-up.. In theory since I'm now making about 1/3 of what I was when I really couldn't afford to buy much in the past..

Thanks for all the help guys. I spent the evening with my old computer helping one of the Autistic people I work with design 3D versions of the super hero team he drew years ago.. They're all based on David 3, and represent different elements; WildFire, Tsunami, Earthquake and Lightning Rod. Hopefully I can get things up and running on this computer this weekend to have him a finished version by Monday..

I have done a lot of Land Surveying around the stadiums. I actually grew up in KCK and went to Wyandotte High. Well sort of, I dropped out in order to pursue my career of smoking dope and doing hallucinogens.

It's nice to hear from someone who is familiar with the same area. We are actually going to St. Louis next weekend or maybe the following to see some relatives. I'll see you then.

• HellboyHellboy Posts: 1,437
    edited May 2013

As you can see in this screenshot, I have the total body selected, and there is no listing for the body shapes of V3 or M3

The image show the Universal section of shapes, the Gen 3 Iconic shapes are in the Male and Female sections. You're sure you checked those already?

Post edited by Hellboy on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

You can point Daz Studio to look for your existing content directories and it will display them in the Content Library tab in the loading/creating section. To do this click on Edit -> Preferences. Then in the window which shows up click 'Content Library' and then click again at the bottom where it says 'Content Directory Manager'.

In this new window click on Poser formats and then click 'Add' to add your old Daz 2 content folder. Click Accept and you will then be able to view your old content within Daz 4.5's Content LIbrary. This will save you having to reinstall everything twice.

edited May 2013

You can point Daz Studio to look for your existing content directories and it will display them in the Content Library tab in the loading/creating section. To do this click on Edit -> Preferences. Then in the window which shows up click 'Content Library' and then click again at the bottom where it says 'Content Directory Manager'.

In this new window click on Poser formats and then click 'Add' to add your old Daz 2 content folder. Click Accept and you will then be able to view your old content within Daz 4.5's Content LIbrary. This will save you having to reinstall everything twice.

Okay this set of instructions has been given to me before, but I'm curious why you would think that the hierarchy of DazStudio 2.3 files that have nothing to do with Poser and cannot be recognized by Poser would suddenly be recognized by DazStudio 4 as Poser files? They aren't in Poser format, they're files that were created and saved in DazStudio 2.3..

Or are you talking about the products that I bought from Daz but installed as Poser files? Because I've already said that they show in DazStudio 4 but will not work..

I appreciate the attempts to help here guys, really I do.

Hellboy said:
    As you can see in this screenshot, I have the total body selected, and there is no listing for the body shapes of V3 or M3

The image show the Universal section of shapes, the Gen 3 Iconic shapes are in the Male and Female sections. You're sure you checked those already?

As you should be able to notice from the previous screen capture, the Genesis figure is selected and All of the morph options are listed, not just the categories that can be clicked on (i.e. Universal); clicking on the Male and Female sections only shows what is already on the top of the available list; Basic Female and Basic Male.

I find it difficult not to be insulted by the assumption that I didn't click on every button possible before turning to the forums for help; I don't blame anyone for assuming I might not have done this (I've worked tech support before and know how people can get lost in their excitement), it's just my being autistic that makes taking it differently difficult. I shave my head weekly to avoid that patchy bald look that comes from pulling out one's own hair..

Screen_Shot_2013-05-04_at_9.13_.32_AM_.png
    1440 x 900 - 272K
    Post edited by MADMANMIKE on
  • Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited December 1969

Or are you talking about the products that I bought from Daz but installed as Poser files? Because I've already said that they show in DazStudio 4 but will not work..
    /snip
    I find it difficult not to be insulted by the assumption that I didn't click on every button possible before turning to the forums for help; I don't blame anyone for assuming I might not have done this (I've worked tech support before and know how people can get lost in their excitement), it's just my being autistic that makes taking it differently difficult. I shave my head weekly to avoid that patchy bald look that comes from pulling out one's own hair..

I was indeed referring to content, not previously saved files. Can you give an example of an item which appears but will not load? Older content for Daz Studio used the Poser formats which are still compatible with Daz 4.5, so I can't see why it wouldn't still load. The only explanations are that it might be looking in the wrong place for some of the data files like the OBJ in the geometries folder and the like. Usually in these instances it gives you an error message when it tries to load it in though.

I understand your frustration. Even the best of us can overlook little details though, so it sometimes pays to state the obvious.

edited December 1969

Its been long time since I installed my legacy figures, but I think an app showed up on your desk top that you had to run for the figures to show up in D/S. Also look in DAZStudio4\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base\Morphs\DAZ 3D to see if folders with names like David3, Michael 3, Victoria 3, etc. exist.

edited December 1969

As I mentioned in the first post David 3 is my primary figure; his morphs show in the list but will not load, and the program wants a map to the .obj files, but Poser 6 turned them into .obz files so they won't work.

I find it annoying that the only way to get the Download Installer Manager is to actually buy something in the store.. Luckily I hadn't gotten the Platinum Club freebies yet so I was able to get it; After spending the last hour going through the list and deselecting the Poser files I've got things going... 1474 files to install, 28 done... It's going to be a loooonnng weekend... Guess it's time to catch up on the TiVo recordings..

edited December 1969

Greycat said:
    Its been long time since I installed my legacy figures, but I think an app showed up on your desk top that you had to run for the figures to show up in D/S. Also look in DAZStudio4\data\DAZ 3D\Genesis\Base\Morphs\DAZ 3D to see if folders with names like David3, Michael 3, Victoria 3, etc. exist.

Yeah, gen 4 figures had a bizarre separate install system that required an updater be left on your desktop.. And even then I had to install them to Poser and not D|S because they weren't working in the D|S directory.. Hadn't occurred to me that that might still be the thing to deal with in D|S 4, guess I'll find out in a couple of days when the DlM gets down to the "M's"...

edited December 1969

Well, after 9 hours of continuous downloads and installation, I have 352 files done.. 1,150 left to go...

edited December 1969

Okay, it's been exactly 24 hours since I started DIM, and the totals are: 739 installed, 763 left to go.. figuring some variation for file sizes, I should have all my DAZ products installed before I go to work tomorrow night..

edited December 1969

I really don't see why you have to reinstall anything and can't just map your older folder to DS 4.5 and install only new Genesis-DS4.5 content.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    edited December 1969

Kattey said:
    I really don't see why you have to reinstall anything and can't just map your older folder to DS 4.5 and install only new Genesis-DS4.5 content.

Possibly something to do with different computers? It should be feasible to copy the content from the old macbook to an external device and then from there to the new macbook, or do so over a network, though. Assuming a suitable external device or network is available.

edited December 1969

SimonJM said:
    Kattey said:

Possibly something to do with different computers? It should be feasible to copy the content from the old macbook to an external device and then from there to the new macbook, or do so over a network, though. Assuming a suitable external device or network is available.

First I copied the files directly over my network. That didn't work. So then I used the built in Migration Assistant, which essentially cloned the user profile from my old computer to the new, but since the new already had a user profile, the access privileges were inadequate.

But the real problem is, (as I've said her a few times) my DAZ products were all installed in Poser format and used in D|S 2.3, and neither 2.3 or 4 are recognizing them.

It's clean slate time. There's absolutely no reason why D|S won't recognize the files when I install them fresh with DIM.. I've been using the same runtime folders and just adding to them across three computer upgrades (over seven years). These days I only use Poser on my old computer to .obj-bash something and then import it to D|S, so I see no reason not to adjust to the times.

1101 files installed, 401 left to go, 35 hours down..