no smart content tab

nww999nww999 Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

Hello world
I'm totally new to Daz studio, and I downloaded pro 4.5 :)
I'm eager to dive into it,
but when I opened up my program, no smart content tab showed up.
It only shows "shaping" and "surfaces (color)" tab on the left side.
Also, no blank character shows up on my screen.

Do I need to download something else to get the character to appear or?...
Like I said, I'm really eager to experiment and play around with this program, but I'm a totally newbie to this (and 3-D art)
so I need this explained to me like you're explaining to a young child ^^;

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

If all you installed was the Daz Studio program you still need to download and install the Genesis Starter Essentials file. That gives you the Content.

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited May 2013

If you click on Window -> Panes (tabs) in the main menu you will see Smart Content available in the list. Click on it and a small window will appear which can then be docked into the sidebar by clicking and dragging it into position.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

you can manually download default content zip (genesis Starter Essential) from your web account page,,
    and install to your daz contents directory. but Have you installed DIM to your PC too?

http://www.daz3d.com/install-manager-info
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/install_manager/start

it is beta tool,, but it make you simple to download contents from daz .
    though you have not so many items at current,,^^

if you install and set up DIM, I think genesis Starter Essential , Modelator mentioned above, show as Ready to Download in DIM

in this puckage,, there are genesis (base default figure of ds 4.5) ,basic morphs, some clothings,, hairs,,accessories for genesis,
    light sets , and shader etc.

after install genesis starter essential,, if you have some trouble,, you need to check CMS setting
    (Content Managements Service is data base aprication, which manage and organize daz contents in ds,
    so if it can not work well,, you feel difficulity to use daz contents)

actually you can do manythings with these.

I recommend you play around only with these free items and genesis at start points.
    with looking you tube videos about daz studio 4, released by daz.
    it help you lot to understand about each tabs.

and sometimes check,, where the contents files are installed,, then gradually learn daz unique folda structure.

the more you installed many product or free items, or different generation figure,, at once,
    you may feel difficultiy to understand ,, how manage them. I think.

• nww999nww999 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Jaderail said:
    If all you installed was the Daz Studio program you still need to download and install the Genesis Starter Essentials file. That gives you the Content.

http://i44.tinypic.com/8z4e1v.jpg
    Do I need to download all of them or are there only specific ones I have to download with it?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

For use in DS you don't need the PoserCF files.

The version labeled DIM is a zip file with no installer. You can download and/or install it with DIM or you can install it manually.

the file ending trx.exe is an installer for Windows; the one ending trx.zip is an installer for MAC.

edited December 1969

ok so I downloaded the genisis starter and i now get the figure on the screen, yaaaaay :)
    But I still have no "smart content tab"
    is it a matter of just downloading material to get the tab to show up? I found a site that has some free things on it, but I don't know where to put the saved files :(

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

But I still have no “smart content tab”

Do what this post says, and you will find it.

If you click on Window -> Panes (tabs) in the main menu you will see Smart Content available in the list. Click on it and a small window will appear which can then be docked into the sidebar by clicking and dragging it into position.
    edited December 1969

Awesome, the smart tab I can now view :)

One last question.
    I downloaded a character from a site,
    but I'm not sure where to put the file so I can access it on the the editor?

edited December 1969

You would need to give us some idea of what files the character contains, and by the editor, do you mean DAZ Studio?

If it is in a ZIP file format, can you list what is inside the ZIP? Is it Poser content, if so, it is probably in a Runtime folder, and you shoukd drop that into your My Library folder to merge the contents (assuming that you are using a PC). Characters from other sites, will probably not have Metadata, and so will not appear in the Smart Content pane, but you can still find them in the Content Library under Poser Formats.

edited May 2013

**sorry it took me awhile to get back to you :( **

This is what it looks like inside the folder I downloaded
    http://i43.tinypic.com/314t1xs.jpg

Post edited by nww999 on
    edited December 1969

You can post images on this site, as JPEGs, by using the Browse button just above where you wriite your post.

Is it the Mary INJ and REM files you are reffering to? If so, they would go into the Poser Runtime folder under Pose. It may be that other files are required for this to work. What figure is it for?

• acctiagoacctiago Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Guys, something very weird is happening to me while installing these programs...

1) Starting with the DAZ 4.5 Pro (windows):

I've downloaded & installed it with the default settings but the smart page content is not showing up. Having said that & based on the moderators text below I figured out that DAZ 4.5 Pro won't download anything from the internet (such as the genesis pack). Ok, I moved to that download session, downloaded DIM Installer & for my surprise after the packages installation (genesis & poses) the content didn't showed up.

2) My actions so far:
    -re installed DAZ PRO 4.5 around 20 times...
    -re-imported metadata in the Content DB Maintenance menu...
    -firewall turned off (windows & mcaffe)

What's your advice? Is there any incompatibility with Windows 8???

see attached the main screen of the program..

Thanks in advance
    Tiago

dazpro4.5_.jpg
    1920 x 1040 - 262K
    edited December 1969

The DAZ Install Manager (DIM), installs it's content by default into C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library You will need to make sure that you hve that location listed as a DAZ Studio AND Poser Formats folder in the Content Directory Manager.

You can find it through Preferences (F2), Content Library > Content Directory Manager.

edited December 1969

Hi Jimmy, thanks for your reply.

I've tried something more aggressive, unninstaled everything done by DIM & installed everything back through its own .exe files (at least genesis for now)

and.. it's working :)

Thanks!

edited December 1969

Good to hear that you are up and running.

The DIM is a great piece of software, and I wouldn't be without it. It does install into a different location, but it is a simple matter to tell DS where that location is. Anything that DIM installs, it will update for you automatically as soon as new versions are avaiable, it will install to wherever you want it to, and you can choose to keep the zip files as well (or not) as you like.

It only works with content at the moment, but it is being worked on, and there are lots of new things coming. It really is a painless way to install and keep track of content, and there is a lot of info available through DIM, like every single file that it installs is listed, with all of it's contents, and where it was installed to. It really is worth looking into, especially if you are just beginning to gather up content.

Just thought I would give you my views, best wishes, and have fun with DAZ Studio ;)

edited December 1969

Yea! I'm glad too even with some minor fixings that I still need to do hahaha (annoying directory path setups :S )

Well, I got the idea of DIM functions... but it's not easy for beginners & I was about to write the same thing you did... "why such crazy ways to install a software?"

Anyway... let's pray for some DAZ guys efforts making this thing easier for everybody. They (and we) would gain a lot with that :)

Cheers & thanks for the help!

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited May 2013

NM, I'm sorry to any that read the old post. I just had a bad day and it showed in this post.

Post edited by Jaderail on
    edited December 1969

This is what my files look like

daz 3d -> studio ->my library -> people -> genisis -> pose

And then under pose there's

basic child
    basic female
    basic male

I don't have a poser runtime folder :/

I downloaded Daz Studio 4.5 Pro 64 bit

edited December 1969

nww999 said:
    This is what my files look like

daz 3d -> studio ->my library -> people -> genisis -> pose

And then under pose there's

basic child
    basic female
    basic male

I don't have a poser runtime folder :/

I downloaded Daz Studio 4.5 Pro 64 bit

It took me ages to realise that you were replying to my much earlier post, please use the 'Quote' button when there is a long time lapse, it makes it a lot easier.

You will certainly have a Poser Runtime folder, but not where you are looking, it is not inside a Pose folder, but it 'contains' a Pose folder itself. If you look in the My Library folder, there should be a folder called Runtime. This folder is what DS displays in the Content Library under Poser Formats > My Library. Drop your pose files in there, and they will apppear in the Poser Formats > My Library > Pose folder.

If you don;t have a folder called Runtime in My Library, please post again.

edited December 1969

This is what I have

Daz 3D ->Studio -> My Library -> Runtime

And then I have the options of
    Support
    Textures

edited May 2013

The runtime folder is specifically for Poser content, i.e., content that is in the Poser file format, like CR2, PZ2, PP2 etc etc. These files, will not be seen by DS unless they are inside a Poser Runtime folder.

Is it the Mary INJ and REM files you are reffering to?

Is this what you were enquiring about?

If you have any Poser content previously installed, then you should have (inside the runtime folder) Geometries and Libraries and Textures. Inside the Libraries folder, there should be Character, Pose, Props and several others. If you don't have any Poser content installed, then simply create a folder inside the runtime folder, called Libraries and then another one inside that called 'Pose' and drop the INJ and REM files in there.

EDIT:
    I went back through the thread, and you did not say what charcter these pose files are for? They may or may not work with Genesis.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on