Poser Sale

namretteknamrettek Posts: 168
edited June 2012 in Poser Discussion

It looks like Poser 9 is on sale for $65. I can't find a list of what content is included with Poser 9...

I've looked around but haven't found a list. Anyone got a link?

Also it looks like if you sidegrade to Poser Pro from Poser 9 it is only $149.

So, can one buy Poser 9 and then sidegrade to Poser Pro for $65 plus $149?

I don't know if I would ever use Poser or not, but if it comes with a lot of good content it might be worth it just for the content.

EDIT - corrected price to sidegrade

Post edited by namrettek on

Comments

• fonpaolofonpaolo Posts: 229
    edited December 1969

Here's a product comparision between P 9 and P 2012: http://poser.smithmicro.com/comparison.html

I'm a Poser 9 user and... yes, I must say that there's something in P9 content!

• natrix natrixnatrix natrix Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Poser 9 is worth it for the subsurface scattering alone, but there is some very good content included. Human figures, most notably Alyson - fairly good as she is, but with the Anastacia morph from Renderosity she is a worthy rival to V4. You also get all the legacy Poser figures, some of which are very good (James esp.).
    There's an awesome dragon! And lots of interior, furniture as well as nature stuff.
    I'm not aware of a full list of content, but the features page is here: http://poser.smithmicro.com/p_features.html

• fonpaolofonpaolo Posts: 229
    edited December 1969

...and add Weight Mapping and in front of all IDL: how to render without any light!

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,537
    edited December 1969

Do you mean content or features? I haven't really used 9 0r 20112 so I can't really talk about features.

But if you are really asking about content:

Support for Poser native figures is very poor. There was plenty for the Poser 4 female because she was pre-Victoria 1 and had no real competition.

The poser 5, 6 & 7 characters got less support, but some of them could actually be made to look quite good and got SOME support. Especially Poser 5 Judy (Thanks Yamato).

Poser 8 Female. Not pretty. SOMETHING could be done to make her passable, but there are no resources to do it. I wouldn't even consider her if it weren't for one XD resistant outfit from PhilC.

Poser 9 female: Remake of the Poser 8 female with Poser weight mapping. There is a very attractive character for her (Anastasia from Blackhearted) Some clothes for her have appeared.

In short, Poser 9 has better content than Poser 8 but not by much and certainly nothing to compare to DAZ products.

The men? Seriously, this is POSER, who told you you could expect support for male figures?

• namretteknamrettek Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

pwiecek said:
    Do you mean content or features? I haven't really used 9 0r 20112 so I can't really talk about features.

Support for Poser native figures is very poor. There was plenty for the Poser 4 female because she was pre-Victoria 1 and had no real competition.

The poser 5, 6 & 7 characters got less support, but some of them could actually be made to look quite good and got SOME support. Especially Poser 5 Judy (Thanks Yamato).

Poser 8 Female. Not pretty. SOMETHING could be done to make her passable, but there are no resources to do it. I wouldn't even consider her if it weren't for one XD resistant outfit from PhilC.

Poser 9 female: Remake of the Poser 8 female with Poser weight mapping. There is a very attractive character for her (Anastasia from Blackhearted) Some clothes for her have appeared.

In short, Poser 9 has better content than Poser 8 but not by much and certainly nothing to compare to DAZ products.

The men? Seriously, this is POSER, who told you you could expect support for male figures?

Thanks for the reply (and everyone else, too). I'll hold off on Poser.

• Roboman28Roboman28 Posts: 210
    edited December 1969

I have just sidegraded to Poser Pro 2012 owing to the $100 reduction offer. Main benefit to me over Poser is the ability to use multicored and threaded processors. So I can do much larger and more finely lit pictures. The Poser characters with the exception of Anastasia I agree do not favourably compare with Daz characters. However if you are doing a crowd the difference is less important and there are some Poser outfits which are unique and worth picking up in a sale. I am thinking here of some Roman outfits which help alot in crowd scenes. The outstanding area where Poser has an edge is skin textures. If you look at Renderosity promos the Poser portraits always look better than the Daz Studio version. As I do 99% of my pictures with Daz Studio I think I can be relied upon to give a non-partisan view. Personally I hope that by Daz 5 they will have caught up on skin shaders. The worst aspect for someone switching software is having to repopulate their content manager. Other than that I find Poser reasonably easy to use.

edited June 2012

Actually I made an assumption that you were talking about realistic adult male & female characters.

There is A LOT of other free content: Toons, Sci-fi vehicles & robots etc. Most of it is of average quality.

Post edited by pwiecek on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,317
    edited December 1969

Poser 9 is worth it for the subsurface scattering alone, but there is some very good content included. Human figures, most notably Alyson - fairly good as she is, but with the Anastacia morph from Renderosity she is a worthy rival to V4. You also get all the legacy Poser figures, some of which are very good (James esp.).
    There's an awesome dragon! And lots of interior, furniture as well as nature stuff.
    I'm not aware of a full list of content, but the features page is here: http://poser.smithmicro.com/p_features.html

Is there a link anywhere to the awesome dragon's image?

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Is there a link anywhere to the awesome dragon's image?

it's name is dregon ... as for awesome, that's a matter of taste:
    http://forums.3dtotal.com/picture.php?s=5da953f2608fdb472cd0468a6ee53886&albumid=764&pictureid=14400
    http://blog.smithmicro.com/2012/04/03/poser-3d/poser-3d-figures-in-adobe-photoshop-cs6/

edited December 1969

Well,

I caved in and bought Poser 9, I am downloading now.

Not sure if I will upgrade to Pro, I will give Poser 9 a try, first.

I always liked the Daz interface more, but I never really gave Poser a fair try as I have only used a trial version (7 I think).

Thanks for all the comments.

I am looking forward to trying out the SSS.

Does firefly render faster that 3delight?

I don't really like the DS render engine at all.

edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    pwiecek said:

Which is why Wardrobe wizard was added to Poser.

Any character can wear any other character's clothing - my female SM and other characters (Miki, Antonia, Kez, etc) have access to all of V4's wardrobe (all 40Gb+) My male characters have about half of that (20Gb+) - but that matches real life. Pick up a copy of Morphing Clothes over on 'Rosity & you can add any partial body morphs to any piece of clothing, converted or unconverted.

Wardrobe Wizard is still no help for textures. There just aren't many pretty ones for the poser native characters after Posette.

edited June 2012

namrettek said:
    Well,

I caved in and bought Poser 9, I am downloading now.

Not sure if I will upgrade to Pro, I will give Poser 9 a try, first.

I always liked the Daz interface more, but I never really gave Poser a fair try as I have only used a trial version (7 I think).

Thanks for all the comments.

I am looking forward to trying out the SSS.

Does firefly render faster that 3delight?

I don't really like the DS render engine at all.

Don't get me wrong. I use Poser. I don't like DAZ 4 either.

But I use CONTENT from Daz (at least I used to) or the 3 R's

edited December 1969

I actually really like DS 4. I just don't relly care for the render engine because it is SO slow if you do any serious lights with it.

Carrara has my favorite render engine. It is fast and you can do so much.

I mostly use reality if I use DS.

I just finished downloading Poser 9. I'm pretty excited. It only crashed on me before (user error I am SURE).

I found out - I can sidegrade to Poser Pro for 149. That's kind of crazy that they do an add for Poser Pro for 299,

but I got Poser 9 and can get Poser pro for a total of 215...

edited December 1969

After a few minutes of playing around I am pretty impressed.

A couple of years ago when I first tried poser I had no idea what I was doing.

I still don't, but I have managed to quickly get some impressive results.

I also managed to just add my DS runtime into poser and use V4. I thought I would have to reinstall v4 into poser.

The runtime (not figures but actual updating of ds runtime) seems kind of slow though. Not sure why.

edited December 1969

By the way: did you grab the SR2?
    http://poser.smithmicro.com/updates.html

edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    By the way: did you grab the SR2?
    http://poser.smithmicro.com/updates.html

Yeah, I did - thanks.

I guess I don't need an SR1 since I didn't see one.

edited December 1969

No - SR1 is built into SR2.
    Or historically speaking it is the other way round SR2 is built upon SR1.

edited December 1969

I figured as much.

I am still playing. I am surprised how fast the renders are.

I had one v4 with hair, three lights set to ray trace and ambient occlusion and set render quality to final - it only took a couple of minutes.

I can't compare that directly to DS lights because there are so many different things to factor in, but that seems pretty fast to me -including I am not using my 64 bit capabilities (I7 with 16 gigs of ram...) that I can in DS4

I have been having fun testing out things that were preset to Poser. Wow there are some great things in my runtime!! Light sets and all sorts of things.

And just as a disclaimer - I am NOT comparing to say which is better. I use a variety of programs for a lot of different purposes. But the differences help me sort out when to use which program.

edited December 1969

I am going to have to buy Anastasia for sure.

The SSS, is that in the textures or is that something that has to be turned on?

edited December 1969

namrettek said:

I am going to have to buy Anastasia for sure.

The SSS, is that in the textures or is that something that has to be turned on?

There may be something that needs to be turned on, but there is definitely a component to the MAT file. Many new products have different sets of mats for Poser 8 and 9. There are also plug-in-the-texture-of-your-choice generic SSS shaders.

edited December 1969

I actually looked around a little and found a pretty good explanation. At runtimedna they have a free weight mapped figure called Antonia. Included with that figure is a great PDF that explains how to do an SSS node in the poser material room.

So far the biggest problem I am having with poser is that everything looks so real that all my hair looks really fake!

That, and I'm having trouble getting things to NOT conform. If I add a prop it conforms to the figure and I can't get it to just be a prop.

I'm going to buy poser pro.

I have been extremely impressed with Poser.

edited December 1969

Goodlooking hair in Poser: 3Dream and Mairy hairs.
    Having trouble getting things to NOT conform? Do you add props by drag and drop from the library? Did you try doubleclicking instead?

edited June 2012

namrettek said:
    I actually looked around a little and found a pretty good explanation. At runtimedna they have a free weight mapped figure called Antonia. Included with that figure is a great PDF that explains how to do an SSS node in the poser material room.

So far the biggest problem I am having with poser is that everything looks so real that all my hair looks really fake!

That, and I'm having trouble getting things to NOT conform. If I add a prop it conforms to the figure and I can't get it to just be a prop.

I'm going to buy poser pro.

I have been extremely impressed with Poser.

Excuse me if you know this already:

Props don't "conform". Conforming refers to a second CR2 that has the exact same bones with the exact same names as your character and each bone will match up with the corresponding bone.

Props are "Parented" and enter the hierarchy one step below the bone they're parented to.

Try loading the prop without a character in the scene (Hopefully it comes in centered on the ground) and save it with a new name. Now you have a parented version (smart prop) and an unparented one.

edited December 1969

Thanks - I used the wrong term. It was a figure not a prop.

It was a hat for v4.

I had an Antonia in the scene and when I added the hat it came in around Antonia's head. But when I tried to translate rotate etc. it did so a though it was confirmed to Antonia. In DS I would just change fit to to fit to none.

it also was not parented to Antonia - at least it wasn't listed under Antonia in the tree but as it's own item.

• GhostmanGhostman Posts: 215
    edited December 1969

If you gonna play with poser you definitely gonna need this. ;) http://www.snarlygribbly.org/3d/forum/

edited December 1969

Finally got a little time to play with poser 9.

I'm blown away by the speed of firefly. This took 15 minutes to render. And I'm only using the 32 bit program. I bet it's a lot faster with the 64 bit version on my I7!! I am buying poser Pro this week!

It would take reality and 15 hours to do this in DS (at least for me).

Electra4daz.jpg
    800 x 600 - 294K
    edited December 1969

Ghostman said:
    If you gonna play with poser you definitely gonna need this. ;) http://www.snarlygribbly.org/3d/forum/

Thanks for the link. I will have to check this out.

edited December 1969

I just installed Poser Pro 2012.

I ran the exact same image.

It took about 9 and a half minutes.

Holy Cow!!!

Ok I only did it at 1280 x 960 but I'm used to several hours in other programs (for that resolution).

Poser is nearly as fast as Carrara. But the lights are great. (Not saying Carrara doesn't have great lights but Poser's are easier to set up and get great results).

I will have to check out IDL next to see how that compares with Carrara render times.

Now I just need to learn how to use poser...

um...

(again I'm not trying to say that anything is better or worse just trying to figure out the best tools for ME for the different pics I am trying to do.)

edited June 2012

What kind of pc do you have?
    A 9 1/2 minutes render 1280x960 is either a very, very fast computer - or not very high quality lights/render settings.

Edited to add: I like Bryce, DazStudio, Poser and Vue ... maybe I should make that my signature line.

Post edited by Kerya on