Post edited by Trish on

Comments

• ManOfSteelManOfSteel Posts: 14
    edited December 1969

And your question is?

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,117
    edited December 1969

on procedural textures

Quite challenging to give a precise answer here. :-)
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yeah presumably you want more than

A procedural texture is a computer-generated image created using an algorithm intended to create a realistic representation of natural elements such as wood, marble, granite, metal, stone, and others.

Usually, the natural look of the rendered result is achieved by the usage of fractal noise and turbulence functions. These functions are used as a numerical representation of the “randomness” found in nature.

edited December 1969

If you've got nothing else to do, you can read this 84 page document http://www.horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/DTE.pdf (23 MB) which is quite exhaustive and supplements David's 17 videos (4 hours) on the subject.

• TapiocaTundraTapiocaTundra Posts: 268
    edited December 1969

@ bullit35744 who doesn't :)

@ Horro thanks for that link, you certainly have put a lot of work into that .pdf and it helps me to understand a little more about the different Voroni noise types I have been looking at, eighteen in all, this seems a little excessive to me, is there any more info about them, and their uses, for example I would like to know why voroni distance 1 has it"s name, what is "Distance" referring to ?

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

just wanted to get a discussion about how to make them in bryce and how to use them. there is a nice new image on bryce5.com with a tree with bark and on parts of the tree are moss and I am really lost on the subject of how something like this could be made.....thanks Horo I will check out your pdf and the other links....Trish

edited December 1969

Sounds good, have you got a link handy to taht image

Please.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Probably this one. http://www.bryce5.com/details.php?image_id=5322&sessionid=4f8044f94b5836bc0b3bf0539908b7e3

Alexey is a brilliant landscape artist, maybe Pam could work her charms on him and coax him over here. Either the charms or the big stick...

edited May 2013

First we need Galleries.

That is a superb image. My attempts at moss are pathetic compared to that

Hmm, did I remember to mention that we need Galleries. :coolsmirk:

Post edited by Chohole on
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited May 2013

yes David has it right that is the image I was speaking of.....to be able to do that or maybe put moss on bricks in certain places would really be neat.....but most of the language and math is over my head I'm afraid...Trish

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

There are several possibilities. You can use two texture channels in the DTE and use Blend Orientation, which is the simplest method. Or you can copy the object (wall, tree trunk, whatever), give the copy another material (perhaps with transparency) then either move the copied object slightly out of the primary one or make it slightly larger. Tip: if you start experimenting to understand how these things work, use just single simple colours. When you see what happens, go for the fancy things.