A self-explanitory question that perhaps should be in FAQ

Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 619
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

To the best of my understanding, all the required files for the Horse2 are in their proper places, DAZStudio 4.5 has the path in the database. Yet, what gives????

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Is My DAZ 3D Library listed as one of your DS Content Folder paths or is it an Imported Folder added with the search for content folders option?

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 619
    edited December 1969

Hi Jaderail,

I kept the Studio install directory tree, but transfered it all to the E: drive as I detest systems that insist on imposing all your data and programs on the drive with your OS. So, yes&no; to your question. The My DAZ Library is part of the original directory-tree structure, just relocated to the E: drive. (I'm a computer systems technician, so you can see where I get such strong feelings about this)

I'm able to see the Horse2 in Poser, but am unable to utilize a morph I picked up from Skiriki as it's a .duf file. When I read up on using DSON to convert Studio stuff for use in Poser, I read that the conversion has to start with Studio.

So I tried opening the Horse2 in Studio, but I was getting the above results. At first, I thought the problem was with the mass DIM install of all my stuff and assumed the file Studio was looking for was corrupted or missing.

I was about to try manually installing the horse2.dsf file from the zip archive. But when I drilled into my Library folders, I saw the file's already there. And when I opened them in word, it looked okay from what I can tell.

It looks like Studio's got the correct pointer, the file it's supposed to use is there....so now, I'm going "WTF?"

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Can you go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, expand the "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats" sections, and post a screenshot?

edited May 2013

Ah, I see some items that are still looking at the C:\, but it's also looking at the F:\--which explains why my SubDragon LE will load (it's also a .duf file) but the Horse2 won't.

Thanks, Mike

edit--> only after adding in paths for the E:\ drive (last 2 pics), it still won't load!

Now, I'm seriously weirded out :-S

WTF_0A.png
    951 x 593 - 173K
    WTF_09.png
    816 x 510 - 180K
    WTF_08.png
    557 x 632 - 88K
    WTF_07.png
    931 x 330 - 22K
    Post edited by Ryuu@AMcCF on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

Don't put user data in Program Files or ProgramData. Remove either ...DAZ 3D/Studio3 or ...DAZ 3D/Studio3/Content , since Studio 3 it is probably the first not the later to remove.

edited May 2013

Thanks for the advice, Jestmart. Sorry, I can't post text between the pictures.

The first 2 pics show what I had when I began to reply to Mike, the following 2 pics show what the status was after.

I got rid of the links to Program Data on the C:\ drive once I saw them there--I HATE it when programs put stuff on the OS disk without our knowing!!.

Studio 3 is a backup in case I have any more issues with Studio 4.5 (like I had with Studio 4.0)

Poser7 is my backup for PoserPro2012

The "User" & "Program Files" trees resides on a 2Terrabyte drive specifically set up for holding and running my programs.

I ALWAYS keep a backup or a previous version, if possible, of my programs just for those occasional visits from Murphy ;-)

Post edited by Ryuu@AMcCF on
    edited December 1969

I see many errors here, they all can cause much to NOT work. I even stopped because I need more info about what each folder has in it. But here is some of what I see just from looking and not knowing what each path holds.
    Click the Image for FULL size. I am wishing to HELP not be a pain.

Capture2.png
    799 x 788 - 295K
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449
    edited December 1969

In theory the ProgramData folder should be safe to place content, in practice it can be flaky depending on UAC security level and whether the user is logged in and running a program as administrator. You know that F:/Program Files (x86) isn't the system one but don't assume the OS is smart enough to know, just don't do this. On a similar note don't add the word "runtime" to the folder name that contains a 'runtime', again it is one of my, "Computers are stupid, don't do anything to confuse them." rules.

edited December 1969

Apon looking at this with eyes that have had some sleep. More is wrong than I thought. I agree with the above statement.

edited December 1969

Ah!! Finally got it!

& I should've got it fixed when I was making my third post :red: I was on the right track, but I had picked "E:\Panthera draco\..." rather than "E:\Users\Panthera draco\..." Sorry about that. I really need to clean that shit up so this doesn't happen again

It's working now. Thanks guys for all your help.

WTF_0B.png
    591 x 499 - 64K