rendered clips no longer play correctly

edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

Never had this problem before but now anything rendered doesn't play back in WMP etc. It's always jerky and the time line never matches the sequence. Any other previously rendered vids play fine. This occurs n both bryce 5.5 and 6. No idea what it could be. My bryce days may be over.

Comments

• OroborosOroboros Posts: 326
    edited April 2013

What do you meant "etc". You've tried other players?

There are three possibilities here.

1) You've changed your Bryce movie export settings. You're either using an incompatible (or very high) frame rate, a HUGE document size, or an incompatible format or codec. Your best move here is to export ONLY in AVI (Windows) or for Apple, use the animation codec for Quicktime.

2) WMP is crap. This doen't mean it's corrupted. I mean it's crap. Really crap. Use something else. Apple peeps have a lot of success with MPEG Streamclip, as do a lot of Windows users. Not only do you get playback, but you're able to export from MPEG Streamclip in a huge variety of formats, as well as limited editing. It's free. http://www.squared5.com/

3) Bryce is faulty. This is a possibility: several areas in Bryce need some heavy work, and some of the CODECS (not the formats, the CODECS) might be outdated. If you keep to the unfancy, uncompressed export formats, then use a ultility like MPEG Streamclip to do the compression or conversion, you'll be fine.

Let this thread know if you have any success here and please post for others :)

Post edited by Oroboros on
  • edited December 1969

I haven't changed anything I know of. It's set for uncompressed avi. They only play slightly better in quicktime. It's gotta be bryce - but I reinstalled the upgrade to 6 from 5.5. Still does it. It's at 15 p/s frame rate.
    This Seems to have started when I tried to get animations from studio into bryce. They didn't play back right but now neither do they if made in bryce. Is there some other dialog I'm missing to check? I really only see "output module" in the render animation dialog. Document size is normal.

I just noticed that in document setup that when I select another/any resolution setting nothing changes. The numbers neither change nor the screen size. Unlike before, I think, if you selected another res it changed by itself. But if you type the numbers in manually there's a change - but the screen size doesn't as it used to (when dropping down in resolution the workscreen got smaller).

Sop these rendered clips don't play correctly in wmp, quicktime or movie maker's preview. All this started about a week ago.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Sorry can't help with the animation trouble you're having (I'm on a Mac and don't save avi files), but the resolution trouble may be simple to explain.

If you mean when you click on one of the Render Resolution presets (in the bottom left panel of document set up window)as opposed to one of the Document Resolution preset sizes (all down the right hand side of document set up window); That doesn't change the size of your work area in the main viewport. It only affects the finished rendered size when you click the render button.

• edited December 1969

Well my bryce 5.5 is at default resolution screen. Yet it's work screen, unlike bryce 6, is only about 4" by 6"! A tiny window and I've no idea why.

But I saved a "corrupted" clip from bryce as a Windows Movie Maker file. This played back fine so we can try that. But I'd rather know what caused this. Everything else plays back fine but for these recent renders.

edited December 1969

The default screen size is 540px x 405px... as far as I'm aware it always has been and still is in Bryce 7 Pro.
    Yes it's too small for modern monitors.

You can make your work window any size you wish by typing directly into the little boxes at the top of the Document Setup window.
    However, if you click any of the Render Resolution options, it will not change your work window size, but only the finished render size.

As for your animation problem, it's sounding more like your AVI codec in your media player has become corrupted somehow, but like I already said, I'm a Mac man and don't know enough about AVI and WMP to say for sure.

• edited December 1969

I'll see if I can get it to update codecs altho it's set to do that. So they've Marlboro cigs off world eh? Not so funny anymore as I for the first time saw something that was either gov. high tech or the real thing. This thing made no sound whatsoever and turned on a dime.

edited April 2013

The problem with simply updating codecs is that you may have the most up to date one but if it's corrupted, it's still no good.

Sadly I've no idea what courses of action you may have to fix it if that is your problem.
    Hopefully Oroboros will be along anytime and he'll have a more indepth answer for you.

As for aliens smoking... They only came here to make geometric patterns in our corn fields but then they discovered our tobacco plant and they were hooked.

Post edited by Dave Savage on
    edited April 2013

kzerial said:
    This Seems to have started when I tried to get animations from studio into bryce. They didn't play back right but now neither do they if made in bryce. Is there some other dialog I'm missing to check? I really only see "output module" in the render animation dialog. Document size is normal.

OK, there are two issues here: animation compatibility between Bryce and Studio, and animation playback. I can't give any advice on the former. But I do know that playback of a rendered-out animation, in ANY player, is separate and distinct from any compatibility issues.

So... There might be compatibility issue with Bryce/Studio on your comp. BUT... Once your animation is rendered, that issue is not carried with it. The animation is a series of screenshots, basically. Screenshots don't contain paths, mesh matrices or lighting settings, let alone texture info. There might be colour errors in the rendered out animation. There might be mesh inconsistencies, due to an error in the Bryce or Studio file. A frame in the timeline might have turned completely green, due to a codec error or even a render engine bug. But none of that should affect playback: once all the computation has been done, the animation's just a high-speed slideshow.

I'd like you to try three things. They're all based on my opinion that Windows Media Player is crap.

1) Adjust your document size to 640 pixels wide, 480 pixels high, 15fps, and do a wireframe render animation your scene (go through the normal render animation sequence, but hold SHIFT down when you click the tick that starts the rendering process). This renders out your animation as wireframe only, and it'll render REALLY quickly. It doesn't matter if your composition doesn't look right - we're just testing playback.

2) Do the above, but change your frame rate to either 25 or 30fps.

3) Do the above, but check your codec in the output section. If that stupid Windows-only color schema is selected, choose something useful.

Let us know if they play successfully.

Proto Diagnostics

I've run into problems with WMP in the past, and several older versions of Quicktime players. They often only like playing video with specific pixel dimensions: 640x480 (VGA), 720x576 (PAL), 720x480 (NTSC), 800x600 (SVGA), 1280x720 (720p). Also, they only like using specific frame rates: 12, 15, 24, 25, 29.97, 30. But the most significant detail is the document size. Document sizes / frame rates outside of those listed can cause the player to interpret the video (using their own proprietary software) in strange and crazy ways.

That's why I recommend the following export options for animation output:

Document sizes (pixels):
    640x480, 720x576, 720x480, 1280x720 (or if you're really keen, 1920x1080 for 1080p)
    Frame rates: 12, 15, 24, 25, 30 (be aware: high frame rates and large doc sizes may be difficult to play back smoothly)

Format from Bryce:
    Windows: AVI Movie, Uncompressed. Click the Edit button to check you have not added any codec to it.
    Mac: Quicktime Movie (.mov). You should use either Animation or Apple Intermediate Codec at full quality for this.

These export options will result in very large, but full quality, movies. Keep these as your masters.

Post-Processing:
    Use MPEG Streamclip (or similar) to convert your uncompressed movies to MP4 format, H.264 codec. For most uses, 60-70% compression should be fine, uncheck any interlacing options, kill any sound options.

There are many other successful post-processing export options through a format player/converter like MPEG Streamclip. All I'm trying to do here is give bare-bones, basic, works-everytime solution that's good to work from raw output to YouTube acceptance. Stray from this golden path at your peril!

• edited December 1969

Would you Not recommend this? http://errorfixnow.com/lp.php?t202id=322&t202kw=wmp11 avi codecs??&kw=Windows Media Player Avi how to&26371969623;&b&seed;=Windows-Media-Player&Windows;-Media-Player-Avi&

There's also Klite codec pack. I'll have to try the above tonight. Thanks.

• edited December 1969

Tried that and it played ok. Not A ok but ok. What's (also?) happening when playing these renders is a huge tax on memory. When they play the pc sounds as if choking on itself. It does not do this with any other vids however.

edited December 1969

kzerial said:
    Would you Not recommend this? http://errorfixnow.com/lp.php?t202id=322&t202kw=wmp11 avi codecs??&kw=Windows Media Player Avi how to&26371969623;&b&seed;=Windows-Media-Player&Windows;-Media-Player-Avi&

There's also Klite codec pack. I'll have to try the above tonight. Thanks.

I have no opinion on this. This app seems to be for errors or inefficiencies with Windows, not Bryce, DAZ Studio, Animation or anything this forum can help you with, I'm afraid. We can't diagnose system errors here, and you haven't given any indication what version of Windows you're running, RAM, computer model, graphics card, peripherals... and even if you did there are too many things to consider! I'm afraid you'll have to ensure your computer is healthy before blaming computer problems on Bryce :)

Tried that and it played ok. Not A ok but ok. What's (also?) happening when playing these renders is a huge tax on memory. When they play the pc sounds as if choking on itself. It does not do this with any other vids however.

Right. As I wrote in my last post: this raw, uncompressed output from Bryce results in very large, uncompressed files. Sometimes 8 seconds of footage weighs in at several hundred MBs of data, and to expect a domestic computer to flick 2-300 MB of data at your screen over 8 seconds is really testing the limits of a domestic setup.

But you should always export raw, uncompressed files from Bryce, use those as your master files, THEN compress those master files using a modern container/codec format to make a 'playback' file, something you can stick on YouTube, or play at your leisure at home. 8 seconds of 720p format video can easily go from 300 MB to barely 1 MB, depending on the doc size, frame rate and compression level you use. Any computer can handle flicking 1 MB of visual data over 8 seconds at a screen.

• edited December 1969

But you should always export raw, uncompressed files from Bryce, use those as your master files, THEN compress those master files using a modern container/codec format to make a ‘playback’ file, something you can stick on YouTube, or play at your leisure at home. 8 seconds of 720p format video can easily go from 300 MB to barely 1 MB, depending on the doc size, frame rate and compression level you use. Any computer can handle flicking 1 MB of visual data over 8 seconds at a screen.

>>> And for this it's MPEG Streamclip (etc)?

That registry cleaner is likely no such thing and I trashed it. Trying to download k-lite and it keeps hanging so it's always something. Can't wait to see if I can use those studio into bryce animations by re saving them in windows movie maker.

Thanks for the help! I suppose you know what the serpent eating it's tail is about. You do not see this as one of it's meanings which is very odd or maybe too obvious; life feeds on life. Nice set up huh!?

edited April 2013

Oroboros said:
    But you should always export raw, uncompressed files from Bryce, use those as your master files, THEN compress those master files using a modern container/codec format to make a ‘playback’ file

kzerial said:
    >>> And for this it's MPEG Streamclip (etc)?

Correct. Open the master file in MPEG Streamclip (or similar) and export it as a different format file. I recommend MP4 format, with the H.264 codec. Modern, offers great compression quality, easy to use, pretty reliable across platforms.

Thanks for the help! I suppose you know what the serpent eating it's tail is about. You do not see this as one of it's meanings which is very odd or maybe too obvious; life feeds on life. Nice set up huh!?

You're welcome.

The Oroboros (Ouroboros, Uroborus, there have been many spellings over the last 1000 years for this 5000 year old symbol) is generally a serpent of some sort devouring its tail. Symbolically, there are several meanings behind it, but they tend to center around cyclicity: because the tail grows at the same speed as it's being devoured, the serpent continually recreates itself. It symbolises the cycles of creation and destruction, the circle of life, change as a constant, unity, completion, turning one thing into another, even Man's oneness with God (if you're the type of person to go there).

Loosely speaking: What goes around, comes around :)

The symbol likely has its visual origins in the protective action of an Armadillo Lizard, the 'real' Ouroboros: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Hub9tz-KE

I hope you can help someone else out of the forum as well. Good luck.

• edited December 1969

Well that sounds like it is in fact a mythical representation of the Torus. That central structure and process behind it all.