"Police Call Box" type structure - new plain blue box released .pp2

patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
edited May 2013 in Freebies

:-) Found some schematics and having some fun. Will be a little "artistic license" employed.

Aiming for a .cr2 with mats. Rigging in D/S3 so it should work in most if not all of the staging programs.
Mats will be created for D/S3, 4.0 and 4.5 "hopefully".
Not making metadata!

"non-commercial use only"

wow! Got permission, thank you BBC! :-)

Click here for the full updated package.

New release of just a basic blue box for people to texture ... will accept "as is" several of the Tardis templates released by others on the 'Net.
Click here

Post edited by patience55 on

Comments

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited December 1969

Duly noted. Who would use that kind of a phone booth, though?
    ;-)

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Apart from Doctor Who, maybe Superman needs the extra room to manage to pull on his underpants over his trousers?

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Who would use that kind of a phone booth, though? ;-)

Yes. ;-P

Although...

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited April 2013

Apart from Doctor Who, maybe Superman needs the extra room to manage to pull on his underpants over his trousers?

Not my work:
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm50/Norgarth/super-Who_zps6a6af319.jpg

So, is this model going to have a detailed interior? :lol:

Post edited by robkelk on
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:

Not my work:
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm50/Norgarth/super-Who_zps6a6af319.jpg

So, is this model going to have a detailed interior? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ROFLMAO!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Well, let's see ... that would sure be something eh. An interior larger than the booth. Actually I do have idea but not sure how to pull it off. So, time will tell ;-)

In the meanwhile, the top sign is made, the booth walls hopefully set in order, base is made ... some nice uvmapping so you can have this thing spinning down out of the sky and see the base too. Left to do is the roof and lamp ... and oh yes, a little something for the interior ;-)

On the front I plan to make both doors to open "in", and the little sign door to rotate 'out' ... now, in order to rig this, that means a lot of parts get the same name so hopefully most of the rest of the booth has only a bone or two.

PhoneBoothwip.jpg
    600 x 600 - 67K
    edited December 1969

Got the roof done.

Next will be renaming some of those mat zones and .obj groups.

Then the fun starts :-) Rigging.

So far passing "testing" in D/S3 and 4.0. [means the mesh isn't blacking out on me]

Oh yes, made a management decision, no making light bulbs! It has the outside casing which will have its own Shading Domain. Somehow if it's lit "shining light all around", putting a bulb inside didn't make much sense.

roof.jpg
    600 x 600 - 148K
  • NV OracleNV Oracle Posts: 139
    edited December 1969

It's looking good, Catherine. Were you going to put a pay telephone in it? This is one thing that I could have used for a long time, so thank you from me for making it. (not only in the 3D world, but in R.L., too)

Your friend
    Oracle

edited December 1969

Well .... what I was planning to put in it required something called permission which appears to have been answered via a form response ... so "no huge insides for Tardis" ... so for the adventurous, my brilliant idea was to create either a 'skybox' or an 'inside/out' sphere and put a nice photo image of the interior which of course could be enlarged as one opens the doors and goes inside the Tardis [with a pose to close view of the Tardis itself while inside it.]

As my request concerning the Tardis itself appears to have been overlooked or ignored ... does anybody know of any official fanart stance of the BBC's concerning fanart? While they definitely didn't design nor make the original police call boxes, I did find an off-hand comment indicating that they allegedly have trademarked the police phone call box ... which is rather puzzling if true, but anyway ... [possibly one should not watch The Tudors while modeling the Tardis :bug: ]

It was while looking for the phone that I thought was what would go in that little free phone box that I discovered all the available, mostly free Tardis stuff "some of which" I listed in a post above. Didn't find a specific phone for it ... but rather a nifty collection of tools and keys. Given the weight of this model, I'd recommend using a texture image unless actually required one of those rather curious instruments.

I have some other phone booths in mind for modeling too ... so just in case this one falls through ... some kind of a phone booth is planned for release. The booths around here tend to be of glass, some with swinging doors, some with a folding door. They're neat. Used in many programs from Get Smart to The Matrix. As far as I know, not a copyrightable item, let alone trademark?!

[but to note, sometimes strange things do get trademarked, like one certain tree in one certain field and woe betide the traveler that takes its photo]

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited April 2013

I don't think they can trademark it as it was a government design, and used by the British Police forces, and possible that it will come back into use, they are talking about it, although maybe not quite the same style.

I can actually remember them still in use.

AS you are not actually calling it a Tardis, you should be OK. I can possibly even tell you some places where one of the original boxes is still there, although not in use.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I don't think they can trademark it as it was a government design, and used by the British Police forces, and possible that it will come back into use, they are talking about it, although maybe not quite the same style.

I can actually remember them still in use.

AS you are not actually calling it a Tardis, you should be OK. I can possibly even tell you some places where one of the original boxes is still there, although not in use.

I hope you're right! I found another 'contact us at' email form so giving that one more shot.

Sure, would love know of/see one of the original boxes. Do you know if there really is supposed to be a phone inside the little box like a hotline to the police? Or was that little door just a Tardis thing?

edited April 2013

They actually had a phone inside. It was a direct line to the local Police Station. Anyone could open the little door and make an emergency call the the Police. Inside the actual box was only accessible by the Police, and it was somewhere they could get it out of severe weathjer whilst on patrol, or to shelter to have a quick cuppa whilst on a break. They would also stoire foul weather gear in there, so if the local Bobby got got out in a sudden downpour he could duck in there and find a Uniform wet weather coat.

Not sure if this is still true, but this was how it was 2 years ago as regards the ones that still exist.

http://www.policeboxes.co.uk/police-boxes-today.html

And this is what would have been on the door of the compartment that held the telephone

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvE6DB0SbrfRou86G-ifqK3iquY4gBDY-i5eY3_rBONmY-IATK

edited April 2013

chohole said:
    They actually had a phone inside. It was a direct line to the local Police Station. Anyone could open the little door and make an emergency call the the Police. Inside the actual box was only accessible by the Police, and it was somewhere they could get it out of severe weathjer whilst on patrol, or to shelter to have a quick cuppa whilst on a break. They would also stoire foul weather gear in there, so if the local Bobby got got out in a sudden downpour he could duck in there and find a Uniform wet weather coat.

Not sure if this is still true, but this was how it was 2 years ago as regards the ones that still exist.

Thanks.

I also found this which does indicate that In the context of a TARDIS, the image of the blue police box is a trademark of the BBC.

hmmm ...

Post edited by patience55 on
    edited April 2013

chohole said:

Thanks.

I also found this which does indicate that [quoteIn the context of a TARDIS, the image of the blue police box is a trademark of the BBC.

hmmm ...

Yes only in the context of a Tardis. So if you don't call it a tardis, then they cannot argue. Heck only a year ago they were selling some Police boxes off in Scotland, because they saw a way of making some money out of the old boxes that were still on the streets there, Amd as there are some genuine ones still in situ, as well as a couple of replicas how the heck could the BBC even think of copyrighting them THe copyrigt would be held either by the UK government or by the people who designed them in the first place. (and it probably is held by the latter, as there was more than one design.) The tardis is actually the London Police Box, as used by the Metroploitan Police, which is the ones I am familiar with from my youth. They were like mini police stations insaide, and as I said the UK govt is seriously thinking of bringing back something very similar.

BTW we do sometimes see the Tardis itself in various places in Wales. As seen here in Cardiff bay http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/64115000/jpg/_64115349_tardis.jpg or here on Caerphilly Castle http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/joomooo/Tardis.jpg

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    chohole said:

Thanks.

I also found this which does indicate that

In the context of a TARDIS, the image of the blue police box is a trademark of the BBC.

hmmm ...

Yes only in the context of a Tardis. So if you don't call it a tardis, then they cannot argue. Heck only a year ago they were selling some Police boxes off in Scotland, because they saw a way of making some money out of the old boxes that were still on the streets there, Amd as there are some genuine ones still in situ, as well as a couple of replicas how the heck could the BBC even think of copyrighting them THe copyrigt would be held either by the UK government or by the people who designed them in the first place. (and it probably is held by the latter, as there was more than one design.) The tardis is actually the London Police Box, as used by the Metroploitan Police, which is the ones I am familiar with from my youth. They were like mini police stations insaide, and as I said the UK govt is seriously thinking of bringing back something very similar.

BTW we do sometimes see the Tardis itself in various places in Wales. As seen here in Cardiff bay http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/64115000/jpg/_64115349_tardis.jpg or here on Caerphilly Castle http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp17/joomooo/Tardis.jpg

And this is what would have been on the door of the compartment that held the telephone

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvE6DB0SbrfRou86G-ifqK3iquY4gBDY-i5eY3_rBONmY-IATK

oops, I missed a bracket ...

Thank you 'cause that sign was something I was also wondering about. The large one I found somewhere had spelled incorrectly a word. I corrected it for mine ... and made it a little fancier too, cause hay!

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    ... edit ...

Love the one on the castle! That's funny.

• MarcCCTxMarcCCTx Posts: 909
    edited December 1969

But, does it have a swimming pool inside? (Or according to the latest episode, a huge library?)

edited December 1969

hehehe ... nope.

Found these links for those interested. [and no I'm not modeling these either]

http://www.themindrobber.co.uk/doctor-who-tardis-3d-console-season15-360.html

http://www.themindrobber.co.uk/doctor-who-tardis-3d-console-360.html

Think I'll change the title of the thread.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    BTW we do sometimes see the Tardis itself in various places in Wales. As seen here in Cardiff bay http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/64115000/jpg/_64115349_tardis.jpg

Makes me wonder if the Doctor ever featured in an episode of "Gallifrey's Worst Drivers"... ;-)
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Website here with boxes around today -well 2011 date on the website!

I remember one that used to stand at the top of our road.

edited April 2013

wilmap said:
    Website here with boxes around today -well 2011 date on the website!

I remember one that used to stand at the top of our road.

I already gave Catherine that link, and sat there and screamed at the map supposedly showing where they had all stood in the past, as we found many missing, including the one that was outside a pub that was just down the road to where I lived when quite a bit younger.

When we was kids if we saw one with the blue light on the top flashing we would tend to hang around to see if anything interesting was going to happen when the local Bobby answered the call.

edited December 1969

That's quite the map for sure.

"almoooost theeere" ... have confirmed a "&*^*%%&&*" of something the new Hexagon does which D/S3 forgives and ignores but 4.0 proudly displays. Might be ready to be sent to the OR for testing sometime tomorrow.

In the meantime ...

Okay ... the top sign has 2 layers, one for a glass/shiny cover if wanted and then the text sign underneath. It's as high in poly as I care to make it but still the smoothing in D/S turns it just a tad ... so from a straight load [as .cr2s don't carry the smoothing options] the smoothing on the SignText needs to be turned down at least 10 points.

The "glass windows" are double-paned AND have edges all around as well. So if in closeups some undesired haze appears, just opacity the 'unsn' [unseen] zones to '0'. I left them in thinking the mesh would make for some fun "bugs caught in the window" because I don't care how air tight a place is, there's always this little black fly or some bug that gets in there.

All the doors aka panels have exactly the same uvmap BUT separate zones.
    Except the area for the emergency phone's door, that has a page height wise to itself.

Today somebody asked me if my dog bites. I said, "Dear, all dogs have teeth" and kept walking while she cringed behind the bus stop ....

one_panel_missed.png
    443 x 905 - 63K
    SignText.jpg
    600 x 600 - 111K
    check_smoothing.jpg
    600 x 600 - 110K
    glass_unsn.jpg
    600 x 600 - 113K
    PoliceCallBox_Promo_01.jpg
    600 x 600 - 87K
  • Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

Good Heavens! It's a big purple box! Doesn't have the same sort of ring to it, does it? None the less, it is very cool and should be fun to play with.

edited December 1969

Good Heavens! It's a big purple box! Doesn't have the same sort of ring to it, does it? None the less, it is very cool and should be fun to play with.

hehehehe ... well of course it's purple :-) It's my favourite colour, in all its shades.

Actually I'm planning to make several colour variances ... and not sure what/how/if yet, but hopefully something for a wooden texture too.

Purples, greens, blues, reds, maybe some alien type texturing ...

• robkelkrobkelk Posts: 3,259
    edited December 1969

Good Heavens! It's a big purple box!

Better that than a big purple dinosaur... :lol:
    edited December 1969

robkelk said:
    Good Heavens! It's a big purple box!

Better that than a big purple dinosaur... :lol:

Sniff ... what? no like purple dinos! hmm ... how about a "purple people eater"!

edited December 1969

this is a purple people eater http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9H_cI_WCnE

• Lord GanthorLord Ganthor Posts: 592
    edited December 1969

I want to do something in a green plastic, like a portable outhouse. It just screams for that... I do like the wood texture, though.

edited December 1969

At the moment, lots of screaming. Okay, after painstakingly removing all those silly empty material references, for whatever reason had a tiny thing to fix in Hexagon, did not touch the mat zones, re-exported, re-made the figures ... and eh gaad, they're all back and more! So kindly to ignore anything on the surface tab that says "material#" in both D/S4.0 and D/S4.5. D/S3 plays nice. Don't know "why" this is happening, do know that it should "not" be happening.

Should be something ready to upload 'as is' sometime tomorrow.
    The mat files created in D/S3 appear to work in 4 just fine.
    Was using a new program to create bump/displ/normals/etc and for some reason the displacement ones aren't agreeing with the Render engine but it seemed to render ... however "use at own risk".
    Extra textures are in the textures folder.

There are 2 call boxes. One is "solid", for spinning animations ;-) The other has the working doors.
    The mat files will work on either as really they are the same .obj except a couple of groups were renamed.

warning_mesg.png
    800 x 800 - 634K
    stretch.png
    800 x 800 - 987K
    AlienType_plus_trims.png
    800 x 800 - 486K
    mix_n_match.png
    800 x 800 - 137K
    Def_mat.png
    687 x 800 - 251K