Terrific Fairy Book by Carrara user :)

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

Hya, you probably know David Collins, one of the hard workers who toils on the Carrara magazine along with Danas Jetbird et al.
Well David has a new book on blurb. He's worked hard on it - I've been watching his blog for a while. It's well worthwhile having a squiz at.

Link here http://www.blurb.com/books/2691796-fairies-of-another-sort

Cheers

Comments

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

FUN! I hadn't heard of Blurb...

• Rhian-SkybladeRhian-Skyblade Posts: 223
    edited April 2013

Wow that was really good :) gorgeous and good!
    Thanks for sharing!

Post edited by Rhian-Skyblade on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,194
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that, HeadWax...
    I'll (not) watch out for those little wee - ones! Unless they need my help, of course.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

Very cool. Have to show that to a friend of mine who owns a shop that specializes in fairy art.

• booksbydavidbooksbydavid Posts: 429
    edited December 1969

Wow! Thank you all for looking. :) I'm glad you like it.

All the images in the book were created in Carrara 8 Pro. I had a great fun putting it all together. I've just started working on a new book of fairies ('cause I just like them). I'll be using Carrara again along with Poser and the new Reality plugin. Poser and Reality are great, but Carrara is much faster.

I've learned a lot since the last book, so hopefully the new one will be even better. I haven't been to Carrara Cafe in a while. I'll have to see if there's a place for wips, so I can post the new images as they come.

Thanks again for all the great comments. Made my day. (and a special thanks to Andrew)

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I've learned a lot since the last book, so hopefully the new one will be even better. I haven't been to Carrara Cafe in a while. I'll have to see if there's a place for wips, so I can post the new images as they come.

Sure! Just start a new topic:
    http://carraracafe.com/forum-3/

I'd be very interested in hearing your workflow, and also your opinions on publishing in print. :coolsmile:

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Hmm don't encourage David to post them elsewhere. We really enjoyed seeing him working on all the images in this foirst book, when he was posting them in the ART Studio Forum here, :coolsmirk:

edited December 1969

Sure! Just start a new topic:
    http://carraracafe.com/forum-3/

I'd be very interested in hearing your workflow, and also your opinions on publishing in print. :coolsmile:

I'd have to start two topics,then. I don't know if I could stand the strain. lol

I'd be very glad to share what I know. I'll have to get my thoughts together and give it a go.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Hmm don't encourage David to post them elsewhere. We really enjoyed seeing him working on all the images in this foirst book, when he was posting them in the ART Studio Forum here, :coolsmirk:

An artist can never have his work showing in too many places.

Can he? :)

I'm really excited about this next batch of fairies. Every image is a new challenge and working in two different programs (Carrara and Poser) just makes it more fun.

edited December 1969

I wouldn't think he could. Especially when it's something really cool, that all should see.

Man, you should just take that whole idea that you've begun and run with it now. Just embellish and cut loose - for I wouldn't think that it would ever really need to end... ever. Book after book on fairies and what they do - what they look like. I really enjoyed your book and look forward to more of where ever your imagination takes you.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Wow :)

Really nice images there David,... Congratulations.

edited December 1969

Man, you should just take that whole idea that you've begun and run with it now. Just embellish and cut loose - for I wouldn't think that it would ever really need to end... ever. Book after book on fairies and what they do - what they look like. I really enjoyed your book and look forward to more of where ever your imagination takes you.

If I run I might fall down. :lol:

I think I might manage a fast walk though.

I'm glad you like my fairies. They really are a combination of two of my favorite art subjects, fairies and pinups, so they're actually fairy pinups. I have another series I did a while ago called 'Odd Girls'. Those images are on my website under the Projects heading. I keep coming back to both fairies and odd girls. My only real problem is I can't get my wife to paint herself blue and dress up like a fairy.:lol:

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    Wow :)

Really nice images there David,... Congratulations.

Thank you very much.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,189
    edited December 1969

I'm really excited about this next batch of fairies. Every image is a new challenge and working in two different programs (Carrara and Poser) just makes it more fun.

Very nice, and a good intro to Blurb which I had not heard of.

I do short animations in Carrara, and have very little need for Poser anymore. I'm curious if you've found limitations in Carrara, where you need Poser.

Steve K.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Very nice David!

edited December 1969

My only real problem is I can't get my wife to paint herself blue and dress up like a fairy.:lol:

Why not? Sounds like great fun!
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922
    edited December 1969

gee my wife makes me do that, even though my legs aren't what they used to b e....

but seriously

:)

looking forward to the next series David!

edited December 1969

Steve K said:

Very nice, and a good intro to Blurb which I had not heard of.

I do short animations in Carrara, and have very little need for Poser anymore. I'm curious if you've found limitations in Carrara, where you need Poser.

Steve K.

Using Carrara is much faster for me. I've been using it for so long I know where everything is and (mostly) how it works. Carrara does have its shortcomings. Everybody knows that, but I find fun (most of the time) figuring out how to get Carrara to do things for me. I would recommend Carrara in a heartbeat, and do, to anyone that asks what software is good for 3D.

I started with Poser 6 but left it very quickly in favor of Carrara. Poser didn't interest me until the current version, Poser Pro 2012. Poser's SSS was mostly what got my attention. I didn't and still don't like how Carrara handles SSS. I use it in Carrara when the situation calls for it, but I don't necessarily love the results. Poser's SSS is pretty good and with Snarlygribbly's EZSkin plugin, character renders can look outstanding. And now Poser also has Reality. Playing with Luxrender has been fun. (Yes, I know export to Luxrender is coming to Carrara. I'll be first in line to grab that).

Poser takes much longer to get things set up than Carrara. I have to decided whether the render I have in mind is worth the time and effort to set up and render in Poser (and now Lux) or not.

In short, Carrara, for me, is good for just about everything and it's quick. Even with tweeking the odd shader and taking care of whatever other issues might crop up in a particular render, Carrara is still faster than Poser. Poser is good for character shots if I want that little extra something. Also, some poses work better in Poser, and I've got Wardrobe Wizard there to help with any odd clothing issues. Everything else goes to Carrara.

One more thing. As I gain experience in this sometimes frustrating hobby, I find that postwork is very important. The more I learn about postwork, the less I really have to worry which software I use. In the end, I don't think most folks could tell which software I use to get the job done. (but Carrara is my preference)

edited December 1969

Very nice David!

Thanks!:-)

edited December 1969

My only real problem is I can't get my wife to paint herself blue and dress up like a fairy.:lol:

Why not? Sounds like great fun!

Sounds fun to me, too, but she won't go for it. Women! Go figure.;-)

edited December 1969

head wax said:
    gee my wife makes me do that, even though my legs aren't what they used to b e....

but seriously

:)

looking forward to the next series David!

:lol:

I've got a start on it. I'm waiting to get a couple more renders before I start showing anything. That way I can stay ahead of myself.

• Steve KSteve K Posts: 3,189
    edited December 1969

In short, Carrara, for me, is good for just about everything and it's quick. Even with tweeking the odd shader and taking care of whatever other issues might crop up in a particular render, Carrara is still faster than Poser. Poser is good for character shots if I want that little extra something. ...

OK, thanks for the very detailed response. I agree on all points, although I am not familiar with the latest Poser features/plugins. For animations, I don't do many detailed character portraits, probably why I don't miss Poser. I do use large detailed stills, but normally of large scenes of buildings, landscapes, ships, etc. (the "money shot", larger than the frame to allow panning), and Carrara does that very well. I can see in your book why Poser offers some nice features for character portraits.

Steve K.