Genesis 3 characters load weird shape

I've gone through a number of Daz Studio installs lately... new computer, older Windows installation getting corrupted, etc.

Anyways, a common problem I've seen is that Genesis 3 figures load with a strange shape, most of the time on another computer that the scene was created.  Even some PA characters.  Usually it's females and Victoria 7 is applied, on top of possible V7 values.  I could then dial V7 shape to zero, then the proper values show (may not be zero) and the character then looks normal.  Also, a Shape preset will fix the figure.  It looks wrong in the viewport and a render.  Last few installs I have also seen the same with Genesis 3 males, obviously not V7 applied though.  At that point I was familiar with the issue and have just applied the Shape preset to fix.

Latest install is weird - now it doesn't load characters correctly off the same computer where it was saved.  Load the scene and they look weird, and I need to apply the Shape preset to fix.  I did one install on an older computer now decommissioned where it would load scenes saved from another computer properly.  I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything different.  Install DIM, then install Studio 4.9 from it.

Anyone know what's going on, and/or how to fix it?

Comments

• That means that one or more shapes (or master controllers) have been saved with a non-zero default. It's a content issue so reinstalling DS will do nothing - it may be a third-party morph with a non-zero default that is, in its turn, driving the Victoria 7 shape or it may be that you used somethign like the Save Modified Assets command with a character loaded from a Character Preset (which will have set the current values as the default). Checking under Currently used in parametrs should show what is at non-zero values, click the gear icon on the slider, open parameetr settings and check the default value - if a Daz store item, reinstall that set; if a third-party shape set the default and raw values to 0, then use File>Save As>Support Assets>Morph Asset to resave just that morph, with default settings, and fiel a bug report with the creator.

• TKATKA Posts: 27

I had this same problem when I first started out with Daz and back then I installed whatever free assets which I could get a hold of without much of a second thought. And sure enough, something broke my Genesis 3 Female's face after an asset dump and I knew I was in trouble. 

After a frustrating bit of Resetting to zero command spam, I narrowed down the culprit to (if I recall correctly) a freebie Gen3 Female face morphs from another popular site for Daz assets. Like Richard has advised, narrow down the offending factor with the 'Currently Used' options tab and you can find your bearing from there. 

One thing I want to add is that I remember getting error messages on opening my custom saved characters (after deleting the morph pack which was causing the issue) with Daz telling me that those parameters were missing and my characters loaded in with zero shapes, with all parameters getting reset to zero. Could have been two completely different issues or not, but just giving you a heads up on what could happen. So it might be wise to export out your finished (and errored) character assets in the form of an obj shaping backup before deleting anything like what I did.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

Have you used GenX to convert any G2 characters to G3? If so, it might have introduced some odd shapes to the G3 base. I had this a while ago and tracked ti down to a G2F product called Beautiful Bends which doesn't play nicely with GenX. If I remember correctly, I uninstalled Beautiful Bends and also delted all the data files created by GenX. Then my G3F base was back to normal.

• GatorGator Posts: 1,268

I had this same problem when I first started out with Daz and back then I installed whatever free assets which I could get a hold of without much of a second thought. And sure enough, something broke my Genesis 3 Female's face after an asset dump and I knew I was in trouble. 

After a frustrating bit of Resetting to zero command spam, I narrowed down the culprit to (if I recall correctly) a freebie Gen3 Female face morphs from another popular site for Daz assets. Like Richard has advised, narrow down the offending factor with the 'Currently Used' options tab and you can find your bearing from there. 

One thing I want to add is that I remember getting error messages on opening my custom saved characters (after deleting the morph pack which was causing the issue) with Daz telling me that those parameters were missing and my characters loaded in with zero shapes, with all parameters getting reset to zero. Could have been two completely different issues or not, but just giving you a heads up on what could happen. So it might be wise to export out your finished (and errored) character assets in the form of an obj shaping backup before deleting anything like what I did.

LOL yeah, I did the same, at first with a more limited library I installed whatever could get my hands on.  Bloated library with a few jacked up characters.  New install is much cleaner.

edited December 2017

That means that one or more shapes (or master controllers) have been saved with a non-zero default. It's a content issue so reinstalling DS will do nothing - it may be a third-party morph with a non-zero default that is, in its turn, driving the Victoria 7 shape or it may be that you used somethign like the Save Modified Assets command with a character loaded from a Character Preset (which will have set the current values as the default). Checking under Currently used in parametrs should show what is at non-zero values, click the gear icon on the slider, open parameetr settings and check the default value - if a Daz store item, reinstall that set; if a third-party shape set the default and raw values to 0, then use File>Save As>Support Assets>Morph Asset to resave just that morph, with default settings, and fiel a bug report with the creator.

I'll have to try reinstalling the product (most recent, I was using Natasha for Victoria 7).  An interesting behavior I saw. 

https://www.daz3d.com/fwsa-natasha-hd-for-victoria-7

I had her in Boudoir Studio.  I went into the parameters, and changed the default value for Victoria 7 to 0.  Saved her as a subset, and that stuck.  But when I go into parameters and change that default value on her for V7 in a scene, it didn't stick - when I loaded the scene up again, the default value for Victoria 7 was back at 100. 

Interesting thing is I removed her from the scene, saved it, and closed it.  Opened it up again, and merged the updated character only.  That seemed to stick. 

I've revisted this as I can't batch when this happens - it keeps loading the scene with the wrong values.

Edit: computer is rendering now, I'll have to try re-installing Natasha for V7 later.  Maybe reinstall V7 too?

Post edited by Gator on
  • If the Victoria 7 shape is at 100% deault it must have been chnaged, uninstalling and reinstalling should fix that.

OK, I think I finally found the problem.  I thought you mentioned missing files at some point.  Appears that's it.  The Genesis 3 Female and Male Starter Essentials were installed in two different places.  On my C: drive at the default library location, and on the D: drive in another library location.  The folders on C: were incomplete.  The folders on D: were.  I removed all the files on C: and also re-installed both male & female starter essentials in the library on the D: drive.

I'm guessing that it goes to the default library first, and since some files were there it was able to load partially and then it didn't look to the other libraries for the remainder.

• DS should have no issues with content spread across multiple content diectories for DSON figures. Still, if it's fixed that is the main thing.

• hookflashhookflash Posts: 165

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've just encountered this problem as well, but with G8F. A third party content creator's body morph has contaminated all of my G8F characters, and I've been having to zero it out every time I load a character (I'll try the more permanent solution mentioned above). Am I the only one who thinks this is a MAJOR design flaw of Daz Studio? It shouldn't be possible for a content creator to screw up a user's entire library. Ever.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,706

The ability to have a non-zero default value is sometimes vital to a product's functioning - the odd time it causes an issue, which is easy to work around and fairly easy to fix, is a necessary trade-off

• hookflashhookflash Posts: 165

The ability to have a non-zero default value is sometimes vital to a product's functioning - the odd time it causes an issue, which is easy to work around and fairly easy to fix, is a necessary trade-off

I genuinely don't understand why it would ever be necessary to allow a PA to create a morph for their character that will, without any input from the user, alter every single character (derived from the same base) in the user's library, often in subtle ways that are difficult to detect. Personally, I'd love to see a bit of sandboxing here, that's all.